E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 VANOS Bolt Failure Prevention

09-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #221
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Unfortunately nobody responded on the post I wrote yesterday. Is it possible that just one or two bolts shear off, the car goes into limp mode for a few minutes and then continues to drive fine? I heard the shearing sound that everyone had described but since I am in the middle of a road trip, I can't look through all the posts as I am on the mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #222
Subaru335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2011 335i  [0.00]
So I started my car this morning and got the half engine light and the SES light. Read the codes and got:
2D54
2C58

I cleared the codes and the 2D54 went away but the 2C58 wont. I know the 2C58 just means that building boost is disabled aka "limp mode" but the 2D54 must be the cause of that. I can't find what that code means anywhere. I assume it is vanos related but who knows.
Happened on cold start with no symptoms other than maybe a little rougher idle. I didn't try driving it, just took the other car which sucks because the bimmer is supposed to be the reliable DD Click here to enlarge.
Anyone know what the code means?
Car is 2011 335i with 48k miles and only Cobb Stage 1 aggressive. CPO so not too worried, its just annoying.
Family/Offroad: 2020 Lexus LX 570 w/ 34" tires
Sold: 2011 335i 6MT, 2007 WRX Limited - STI swap, TD06-20GXT, E85
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #223
Subaru335i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2011 335i  [0.00]
Just figured out what the unknown code was from the updated recall letter:
"SITUATION
A rattling noise can be heard from the engine compartment; the engine exhibits a loss of power; and the Service
Engine Soon lamp is illuminated. One, or more of the following faults may be stored.
2D54 - VANOS, exhaust, cold start: not controllable"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #224
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I just got off the phone with my dealership's service department (at BMW of Minnetonka) about this.

The service manager said he has seen maybe only one car with this issue come through. They're a high-volume dealership so the odds are in our favor. It was also the service manager's opinion that I shouldn't need to worry about it but to bring the car in later when they get the parts to get it taken care of just in case, which should be in the next month or two.

The recall notice also notes that most cars with the issue reported had around 40,000 miles and were built between May and July 2010.

Here's the notice I'm referring to: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V176-8618P.pdf

I'm a bit of a dork and actually read the whole thing. I actually found it pretty interesting because of the insights it offers in to their investigation process, haha. I think reading it through might give some of you more peace of mind, or depending on if your car is one that's more at risk, more worries.

I haven't received a letter yet but part of that is because I just got the car late last month.
      09-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #225
adventr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan 6AT

I looked on the BMW website, and it shows no recalls for my car. It's a 2011 N55, but it's probably one of the later ones. Build date was September and it didn't sell at the dealer until after Christmas that year.

So apparently they had resolved the issue by then?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #226
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventr View Post
I looked on the BMW website, and it shows no recalls for my car. It's a 2011 N55, but it's probably one of the later ones. Build date was September and it didn't sell at the dealer until after Christmas that year.

So apparently they had resolved the issue by then?
It works for you? I just get red text telling me the information isn't available and to try at another time or call BMW. Best case though, they did address the issue by then, but I'm not sure.
      09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #227
adventr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
It works for you? I just get red text telling me the information isn't available and to try at another time or call BMW. Best case though, they did address the issue by then, but I'm not sure.

I just tried it again, and I get the same thing? I swear that it was working like 2 days ago when I checked.

So.......... I called BMW NA (the number listed), and spoke with a lady on the phone. She said that my car actually wasn't affected by the recall. I'd advise calling if the link isn't working for you. It took less than 5min total.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #228
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventr View Post
I just tried it again, and I get the same thing? I swear that it was working like 2 days ago when I checked.

So.......... I called BMW NA (the number listed), and spoke with a lady on the phone. She said that my car actually wasn't affected by the recall. I'd advise calling if the link isn't working for you. It took less than 5min total.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll try calling them sometime today and see. I have bit of a road trip coming up later this month, about ~250 miles each way, and I'd rather see if I can have some peace of mind even though a mechanical failure is extremely unlikely. My car's build date was 5/19/2011 according to the good ol' VIN decoder: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
      09-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #229
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
It sounds like there were 2 manufacturers of the bolts and the Xdrives seem to not be affected from what I am seeing. Engine assembled at a different plant? Not sure why, but most people with Xdrives seem to say they are not affected. rwd 335i's seem to be sprinkled, but most are affected.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #230
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
It sounds like there were 2 manufacturers of the bolts and the Xdrives seem to not be affected from what I am seeing. Engine assembled at a different plant? Not sure why, but most people with Xdrives seem to say they are not affected. rwd 335i's seem to be sprinkled, but most are affected.
I have an xdrive (build 7/10) and I got the notice. On my road trip that I'm currently one I'm 99% sure at least one of the bolts sheared off. Got the half engine light, heard that shearing off noise for a bit but when I was finally able to pull over it was running normal again and no more lights. Probably got the head of one of the bolts floating around in my oil pan now and keeping my fingers crossed that I make it back home without any more of them shearing off
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #231
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s View Post
I have an xdrive (build 7/10) and I got the notice. On my road trip that I'm currently one I'm 99% sure at least one of the bolts sheared off. Got the half engine light, heard that shearing off noise for a bit but when I was finally able to pull over it was running normal again and no more lights. Probably got the head of one of the bolts floating around in my oil pan now and keeping my fingers crossed that I make it back home without any more of them shearing off
It seems that just because you got the initial notice that doesn't mean you are actually a part of the recall. I think they figured something out later on after the notice was sent. I got the notice too and now they say I am not a part of the recall.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #232
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
I have an xDrive 335i and I called the phone line on BMW NA's site. They say that my car does fall under the recall. Granted, they didn't ask for my VIN number. They only asked for the model and model year. I wonder if there's an inconsistent message coming from the call center associates, which isn't good. The guy I spoke to was very nice and prompt though.
      09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #233
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.r.k.u.s
Quote:
Can you describe the noise?
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #234
waldo2014
Rep
Drives: E92-335iX

I have an xDrive, manufactured 6/2010 and both my service rep and BMW Switzerland confirmed that I need to do the VANOS prevention, unfortunately, they still don't have the parts for this.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #235
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti
Quote:
Quote:
It sounds like scraping a fork over a rough metal surface. Not super loud but very noticeable. Didn't do it for long though and then it sounded normal again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #236
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It sounds like scraping a fork over a rough metal surface. Not super loud but very noticeable. Didn't do it for long though and then it sounded normal again.
Uh oh. I have a noise sometimes that might be this. No limp mode or anything though. Just kind of a squeaking coming from the engine. Happens sometimes and then sometimes is normal. Problem is, I would hate to take the Jb4 off and put the stock intake on just to take it to the dealer and have it not make the noise.

I'll try and get the noise on video so we can compare
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #237
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh oh. I have a noise sometimes that might be this. No limp mode or anything though. Just kind of a squeaking coming from the engine. Happens sometimes and then sometimes is normal. Problem is, I would hate to take the Jb4 off and put the stock intake on just to take it to the dealer and have it not make the noise.

I'll try and get the noise on video so we can compare
This was definitely a very distinct noise that my car has never made before and hasn't made since. I keep checking codes every 50 or so miles in anticipation of a vanos related code.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #238
Subaru335i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I just got off the phone with my dealership's service department (at BMW of Minnetonka) about this.

The service manager said he has seen maybe only one car with this issue come through. They're a high-volume dealership so the odds are in our favor. It was also the service manager's opinion that I shouldn't need to worry about it but to bring the car in later when they get the parts to get it taken care of just in case, which should be in the next month or two.

The recall notice also notes that most cars with the issue reported had around 40,000 miles and were built between May and July 2010.

Here's the notice I'm referring to: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V176-8618P.pdf

I'm a bit of a dork and actually read the whole thing. I actually found it pretty interesting because of the insights it offers in to their investigation process, haha. I think reading it through might give some of you more peace of mind, or depending on if your car is one that's more at risk, more worries.

I haven't received a letter yet but part of that is because I just got the car late last month.
I'm in Minneapolis too. I just got the half engine light and the vanos codes so I took mine to Motorwerks on Monday.
My build date is 06/10 and they said I definitely am part of the recall but they don't have the parts.
For now I am driving around in a loaner 320i. Who knows how long it will take but I am driving the loaner like I stole it! haha

At first my SA didn't realize my car is CPO and he said the investigation to determine if it is the vanos is a 7.5 hour job. Thank god I don't have to pay for this shit out of pocket!
Motorwerks has been pretty good to me so far, Minnetonka is too far for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #239
Subaru335i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
2011 335i  [0.00]
Oh also, I have 48k miles and rwd. That link you posted is very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #240
mpls_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru335i View Post
I'm in Minneapolis too. I just got the half engine light and the vanos codes so I took mine to Motorwerks on Monday.
My build date is 06/10 and they said I definitely am part of the recall but they don't have the parts.
For now I am driving around in a loaner 320i. Who knows how long it will take but I am driving the loaner like I stole it! haha

At first my SA didn't realize my car is CPO and he said the investigation to determine if it is the vanos is a 7.5 hour job. Thank god I don't have to pay for this shit out of pocket!
My car is currently at Minnetonka getting a rear main seal replaced. I asked if they could replace the Vanos bolts while the car is apart and they said they had no parts available. My SA said they are waiting on BMW of NA at this point for the next move.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #241
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Quote:
I have an xDrive 335i and I called the phone line on BMW NA's site. They say that my car does fall under the recall. Granted, they didn't ask for my VIN number. They only asked for the model and model year. I wonder if there's an inconsistent message coming from the call center associates, which isn't good. The guy I spoke to was very nice and prompt though.
I have an xDrive and BMWNA and my local dealership said that my cover falls under the recall.

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #242
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru335i View Post

I thankfully haven't had any issues with my VANOS bolts (yet) and I'm hoping for them to get the parts soon. Some additional peace of mind never hurts!

As was mentioned in the recall letter I linked to, most reported issues seem to be with cars that have build dates between May-July 2010, so it looks like your car was in that group. So for your sake and mine, mostly yours, I hope the parts come in soon!

As for Motorwerks, a friend and I had some lackluster experiences with their sales staff on separate occasions, but I'm sure their service is great! I've been very happy with BMW of Minnetonka all around, but they're also not too far for me. Best to go with what's convenient especially if the service is great after all!

Gotta love the loaner vehicles too. I got a 320i loaner when my car was in to get the interior/exterior protection stuff worked up. It's a peppy little car. Speed feels on-par with the VW GTI I used to have. I still think the steering is way too light at low speeds but BMW did fix it so it's better as the car gets moving.