ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
minimal_
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Help with DSC, Brake & ABS Error Lights

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, and want to see if I can get some input from anyone who's had this problem.

When the issue first came about, some research led me to believe this was an alternator/battery issue, which, it partially was (alternator was not charging battery properly, I drove the car two weeks before replacement, so battery went bad and required replacement as well).

After replacing both, car drove about 2 days without the error lights coming on. I've taken it to an indy shop and they mentioned two codes were tripped:

Hydraulic pump not actuating
Hydraulic pump connector failure

At this point it it seems I have a few options:

1. Replace DSC module (not an attractive option @ $3300 parts+labor)
2. Have module rebuilt by Module Masters
3. Try and re-diagnose car myself (hoping it's a bad connection or ABS/speed sensor)

So here are my two main questions:

1. Based on the codes thrown, is it at all possible that there is another cause for the issue and the module is not actually bad? (again, bad connection somewhere, faulty ABS or speed sensor, Steering angle sensor?) - My cruise control works just fine, so I don't believe it's a speed sensor.

Because of how this all happened, I'm not sure if the issue with DSC coincidentally popped up right after the alternator issue or if somehow, the alternator issue had something to do with it.

2. Does anyone have any experience having the DSC module rebuilt? Module masters' website does not list the Z4M, but does list the M3....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

if its in limp mode:
1. replace battery
2. make sure your throttle position sensors are OK, get a new one for $40 anyway since they go bad, before working on anything else.
      10-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
minimal_
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks for the input zstig....

Battery was replaced shortly after the alternator (had it checked, it had a dead cell).

The problem with the lights persisted after replacement of alt. and bat. The car is not in limp mode....although now the three lights stay on 90% of the time (before it was more like 40% of the time)...not sure what causes them to turn off when i start the car sometimes.

I'll give the throttle position sensor a try, though I took it to another local indie shop (much more reputable than the first I went to); they ran some pretty extensive tests and they came to the conclusion that the module needs replacement.

According to them, after a certain point, they were unable to get the fault codes cleared, and thus were unable to test the module by trying to manually engage it.

Should I try sending the module to MM?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I have no experience with symptoms like that without limp mode, sorry

a throttle position sensor will always throw the car into limp mode, so its probably not the issue
      10-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
onthe3rdday
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4C

That ABS/DSC module price sounds inflated...I believe this to be the part number you would use. 34526778492 ~$1150 list price.
Appreciate 0