XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
marcesq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

BMW Alexandria and Tires/Alignment

My three cents (a healthy Friday rant!) regarding BMW of Alexandria (Alexandria, VA) and my 2011 X5 35D

Summary: OK (at best) experience for general maintenance, and the loaners are convenient

However:

1. BMW Alexandria does not install non-oem tires, period

Service Advisory at BMW of Alexandria told me that non-run flat tires are not OEM, and are thus an "after-market part." Therefore, BMW of Alexandria does not install run-flat tires.

The Service Advisory then attempted to "counsel" me on why non-fun flat tires are unsafe in a condescending manner.

BMW of Fairfax said they would not only install non-run flat tires without issue, but that I could even get the tires delivered to them from Tire Rack. I decided to use Hollin Hall Automotive in the end for the tires and an alignment.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS! Woohoo Tire Rack!

2. BMW Alexandria completely missed my alignment issue

I brought my X5 in for routine service, and the Service Advisory stated my front tires were "bald" and that I needed two new ones. My response: "I just checked the tread depth at 6/32" - I know they'll need replacing, but I'm not in a huge rush with warmer weather around the corner. What did you measure the tread depth at?" The SA's response: "I don't know - I'll have to check with the tech." right...

The SA called back later and said that "the sides of the tires have no tread." My reply: "well, I'm pretty sure I don't drive on the sides of my tires - what exactly are you referring to?" After getting nowhere with the SA, I told her that I would take a look at the car when I picked it up.

*Disclosure here - my wife drives this car mostly, so it takes a while for service/maintenance things to come to my attention.

When I arrived at the dealership, the shoulder of one of the front tires was baldish, but there was still about 6/32" of tread in the central portion of the front tires. After driving about for a few more weeks, it was evident (now that I was actively paying attention to it) that the shoulders of both the front tires were losing tread quickly - too many pot holes I suppose.

Nonetheless, BMW Alexandria should never suggest replacing tires when there is an indication of an alignment issue. What do they expect? New run-flat tires for the bargain price of $800/pair, only to have them replaced in a few thousand miles due to alignment? Buffoons - and they would have gotten away with it completely if my wife had brought the car in.

Given my prior experience with their service manager (discussed below), I'm not going to even bother bringing this up - they clearly do not know what they are doing or are trying to scam me.

3. Gouged my wheel when replacing a tire

I purchased the tire/wheel insurance, and had one tire replaced w/in 6 months of purchase of the car (new). They gouged the inner-lip of the wheel badly, and then tried to pretend that I somehow caused the damage.

The gouges were clearly extending to a portion of the wheel that faces (i.e., contacts) the bead of the tire. Accordingly, how this could have possibly been done at any time other than when the tire was mounted, especially when the tire itself was in perfect condition, I don't know - and the service manager was unable to respond - he didn't even pretend to think was anything I should be concerned about or that his department was responsible for.

The gouges were two indented slits, each about 3 mm across, and rather deep. They looked like they were clearly caused by a tool or machine - I don't know how a curb or road hazard could have possibly caused such damage, and the service manager was unable to even hypothesize on the subject.

Nonetheless, the dealership never apologized, and never admitted to being involved in the damage. The best I could do was have them "repair" the wheel, which at the time I didn't know what that included.

They ground down (i.e., rounded) the lip of the wheel to effectively remove the gouges, and then painted over them (and they didn't re-balance the wheel afterwards).

Personally, I think this was a joke - at the time, there was less than 10k miles on the car. They should have replaced the wheel. The damage/repair is plainly evident to this day, but with 30k miles on the car - I care much less about it. Especially, during the course of 30k miles, my wife has closed the garage door on the tailgate (twice) and the bumpers have suffered the wrath of Costco parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

What a crappy experience.

One comment on wheel repair... I've had it done on a number of occasions, and the process generally by an actual wheel repair shop (assuming they sent them off) is normal. And after grinding, sanding, and smoothing the wheel, they'll re-finish, and make sure the wheel is balanced. They may or may not be the ones mounting the tires. But as a cheat in some places, they'll mark the tire and wheel, so they don't have to rebalance. It saves time, and is generally accurate.

Other than the finish process, the actual repair process seems a bit absurd, but it works. Grind down, blend, and smooth in. In more severe cases, material is brazed on or welded on, ground down, blended and smoothed in.
      03-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
marcesq
Registered
Rep

Yeah - not the best of experiences - thank you for the comments on the repair - definitely something I'm a bit ignorant on.

If the service manager (or anyone there for that matter) had even attempted an apology or acknowledged the mistake, then I probably still wouldn't be irritated about it 2+ years later.

And you are right - it's hardly noticeable after the repair. My friend (who, full disclosure, drives an old Honda that he has never brought to the car wash) looked at me funny when I tried pointing it out to him.

Otherwise, I doubt they re-balanced the wheel, because I'm pretty sure they did not remove the tire from the wheel, or the wheel from the car when the performed the repair - some guy "out back" was doing the repair under a tent.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Typically the tire is removed.... At least in the wheel repair shops I've visited, used, and hung out in. Hard to say otherwise if you didn't see them actually doing it.

You can't grind and repaint a wheel easily with the tire still on.
      03-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Hmm alexandria always takes care if me and puts me in a proper loaner. Ask for Marian she's really good and she'll know if you mention Joe with the x5m&m3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
marcesq
Registered
Rep

Follow up - Hollin Hall Automotive - Continental DWS

I've had 3 bimmers tended to at BMW Alexandria, and they have been generally pretty good - just a few bad experiences with my X5. My free maintenance is up in December, so I'm glad I had an opportunity to test out a local indy shop.

I just picked up my X5 from Hollin Hall - they did an alignment and installed the DWS tires.

Everything seems tip top. Granted, they were more expensive than BMW Fairfax for the same work (by about $40 or so) and there was no loaner, but they were very nice and responsive, and I don't think they even charged me for mounting/balancing my new spare tire kit. I didn't ask, but I think they could have driven me to the metro, but I only live a few miles away, so I didn't bother.

I'll definitely head back there to have tires sorted out on my 328i convertible (m sport package/wheels) if I want to ditch the run flats.

As to the Continental DWS tires - whoa, what a difference. The turning still feels tight and responsive, but so much of the harshness that developed from the run-flats (from about 15k on) is gone. I hope that lasts. Road noise seems significantly reduced as well, but I haven't taken them for a significant journey on the beltway yet (where the run-flats were really noisy). I can tell why so many people love these tires on the X5 - i hope they last a bit longer than the 30k I was able to get out of the run-flats.
Appreciate 0