E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First Detailing Job by Myself

08-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #23
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

If you are going to clay and polish maybe once a year, (like me) than buy the product and DIY. If not, pay a professional to it and maintain thereafter.

If done by professional and if you take good care of your paint plus good method of wash, dry and seal, than you most likely need a polish once maybe 2 years. Do the math yourself.

First start for myself, I bought tons of MF cloth and had them zip bag into categories of wash, dry, buff, interior, glasses, engine bay, and wheel. Same with applying sealant or wax. Ordered around $150 product including sealant and carnauba wax.

Been a year doing the step above, and now I ordered another $400 product including 2 step polishes, tons of foam pad, protective product like areo 303, brushes for wheel and engine, and very high positive feedback P21S 100% carnauba wax...etc...

What I am trying to explain, build your product collection slowly, use what you have, make some scratches and swirl before you go to the next step. This way, you will know more on the most important part of wash and dry.

Kcc
      08-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #24
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

One last point and I'll leave you alone, the Wolfgang over the HGSG. Personally why, both are sealants, sealant over a sealant is a waste IMO. If you want to layer the sealant or use more than one coat than use the same sealant so you have no compatibility issues. Two coats of HGSG or two coats of the Wolfgang. Also humidity could be an issue right now in Houston so things might cure a bit slower and really try and make sure you go thin with all applications in humid weather, you'll be much happier putting two layers thin than one too thick and fighting with the stuff. And have fun with it no reason you should not enjoy taking care of your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #25
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

if youre not going to polish to get swirls out and you want the best possible shine, i would reccomend a glaze. this is what most dealers do before delivery to make the car look its best. it fills in the swirl marks so you cant see them. i would reccomend CG Creme Glaze or 3m imperial hand glaze if you can find it
      08-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #26
HoustonRed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboa51 View Post
if youre not going to polish to get swirls out and you want the best possible shine, i would reccomend a glaze. this is what most dealers do before delivery to make the car look its best. it fills in the swirl marks so you cant see them. i would reccomend CG Creme Glaze or 3m imperial hand glaze if you can find it
I have been hearing about this (CZ creme) quite a bit. My understanding is that it fills in the swirl marks so that it is invisible and also giving it a shine. Does it help the scratches?
And regarding the application stage does it precede or supersede the AIO ?
Thanks everyone for their response!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

A glazing compund will hide minor imperfections as long as it's protected well with your LSP, once your LSP wears the glaze will wash right off. Scratches probably will be diminished, hard to tell without pictures but if your finger nail catches on the scratch there's really no way to correct or hide them without permanent steps.
EZ creme is great if using a sealant and generally will clean paint as well so you could skip the AIO, frankly kind of redundant to do both. Order would be AIO or Glaze then LSP. General rule of thumb use an acrylic glaze with sealants, oil based with waxes for bonding/curing purposes. Either of those can be applied by hand. I use EZ creme currently used to use 3M Imperial or ClearKote Red moose, all 3 are quality glazes when used with the right lsp.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #28
HoustonRed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
A glazing compund will hide minor imperfections as long as it's protected well with your LSP, once your LSP wears the glaze will wash right off. Scratches probably will be diminished, hard to tell without pictures but if your finger nail catches on the scratch there's really no way to correct or hide them without permanent steps.
EZ creme is great if using a sealant and generally will clean paint as well so you could skip the AIO, frankly kind of redundant to do both. Order would be AIO or Glaze then LSP. General rule of thumb use an acrylic glaze with sealants, oil based with waxes for bonding/curing purposes. Either of those can be applied by hand. I use EZ creme currently used to use 3M Imperial or ClearKote Red moose, all 3 are quality glazes when used with the right lsp.
Thanks bobble! you have been a wealth of information for me.
Then I think I will just go with what I have, ie AIO and SG. Will check how effective the AIO is and then go on from there. Will take/post pictures at each stage. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

I only use the glaze if I polish, mid year clean up AIO and sealant/wax topper. Every couple of years I have a quality pro do a full correction and maintain it otherwise. I'm picky hence the pro every other year, I do my own car and several famliy members and friends cars so I've done a few but no pro here. Just as a reference. I do make my fair share of mistakes but have learned over the years what works and what is overkill.
Just go thin on the HGSG and if it's tacky reapply a really tiny bit via a pad to remove. It's finicky only used it once. Klasse is quality stuff and been around forever

Last edited by Bobble; 08-10-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0