E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is the 335i a shit car to own?

Closed Thread

01-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
petrolheaduzman
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Well that is false information.
what would be the benefits of a bov?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #24
petrolheaduzman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I bought a non-cpo used, have dealt with HPFP which I expected and that is it. The common problems suck but for the money you won't find a car that you'll have more fun in.
Other than the hpfp problems, what are the other common problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
petrolheaduzman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I have not had any problems with mine. I'm at 40K miles.

I haven't made any of the upgrades you mentioned.

My prior BMW is still on the road. It served me for 158K miles and only the driver's fog light wiring went awry; I didn't fix it. I have no issues with BMW reliability.

If you abuse the car, you may not get the same results I have. What I mean, is if you use it as a race car, it may not be so reliable.
I understand that, my parent old e46 330i has about 140miles on it and i runs fine.What makes me a little nervous is that it is forced induction. Assuming everything is maintained to factory specifications (except shorter oil change intervals of 4000miles, and transmission and diff oil every 60miles) do you think this car would last 160 miles. just gentle driving and track use or hard driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

It may be a sh!t car but it's really good sh1t.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
petrolheaduzman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
90k miles... about to have to do about $600 of non-maintenance. Otherwise, awesome car so far!
is your car stock? do you recommend any reliability upgrade (bov, wastgage). Also what do you think about putting a bov valve? pros and cons.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
hitster
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Like a few people have said, if you are prepared to take the risk of having a car which could potentially develop problems (with a high probability of it happening), then go for it, but if you are not willing to take that risk, not put up with having to deal with the car going in to get things repaired, then don't bother. I love my 335i, but recently its been failing on me and the stress of having to take it back to the dealer on average every 2 months has not only become evident, but an embarrassment and some what of a disappointment in investing in such a prestigious brand.

Initially I quite enjoyed driving the nice loaners they provided, but now its just gotten to a stage where it stresses me out, and I mean come on, no car should stress you out.

Definitely consider a car with CPO at minimum, find out its history if possible and base your purchase upon that, Im sure folks on the forum can provide you with some intel on how to do this.. but regardless, it may be reassurance but its no guarantee that issues will not develop further down the line.

From a long term perspective, I can only see issues getting worse, parts will deteriorate, and whilst many people have had 80k with trouble free motoring, they've just had the luck of the draw. I personally have gotten to a stage where by I cant deal with the bullshit of having to deal with the problems whilst paying off a good chunk each month, investing in expensive run flat tires and keeping the car in pristine condition as most enthusiasts do.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #29
petrolheaduzman
Rep

what type of problems have you been running into?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

yeah, I love my car. Just buy it, reliability with a used 335i is hit or miss. Just hope you get lucky, if not make sure you have warranty
      01-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #31
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I've had some services for the HPFP and some other minor stuff, but this is the best and most fun and capable car I've ever driven. It's awesome.

I'm absolutely in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #32
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Gotta love Canadians
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #33
dlouie87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i e90

The thing you have to know about forums is... that all the bad stuff you read is only a small percent ( to some extent) of what the car really is.

No one is going to write about how good their car is running. I also bet all the 335 owners on here = 60% or less of all total 335 owners. No one is going to write that the car's fuel lines are great or that the piston one is running perfectly. But if there is something wrong.... it'll be written and discussed.

You just have to go with your gut on what you want.... and pay to play. Quit being paranoid. Go on any other forums... there is always something wrong wtih something on the car.

Evo's, STis, etc..... all have problems. But there are still thousands of owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #34
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

What kind of idiotic question is this?Here's your answer...335 is a shitbox if i were you I would purchase a 5 year old toyota where you could easily get 300k miles...There's your stupid answer
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #35
MikeyComputers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6mt White/red

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
First off all rolex's never tell the right time .. DO U WANT TO OWN ROLEX OR A FOSIL

I buy all my cars.... just buy it right and you won't feeel bad about loosing a little bit of money.... the car is awsome.. buy it used too who wants to keep a car forever 1-2 years is more then enuff then sell it for few thousands lesss....

ALL CARS BREAK... espesially if u beat on them go CPO

also CPO is awsome you don't need to worry about things... just make sure you don't pay to much... what ever you pay make sure you can sell it for the same price

and if you can't aford to fix it or pay for CPO warranty then your not BMW material sorry
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #36
clpower
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09 335I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikken View Post
Yes it is a shit car to own and you should buy an Accord.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #37
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Nobody cares about the E90 anymore, it's grown long in the tooth, the F30 will be out soon enough, it's status and wow effect will be effectively nil in a few months.

The market is flooded with the Lease turn-ins and now anyone with a little credit can get one of these...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #38
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It may be a sh!t car but it's really good sh1t.

CA
pooop smells like Roses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Spending your long time savings on a first car... hmm... Why do I feel that you are not prepared for this. IMO, save your money and buy something practical as it is your first car. I assume that you are young and you have plenty of years ahead to drive a BMW. The upkeep of any luxury car, even if the car is in good working order, is going to be expensive. Your insurance will go up, premium gas is going to run your about $50/week, your registration will be more expensive, and changing a set of 4 RFT's is going to set you back $2k. Make sure that you are prepared for the supplemental cost of owning a car like a BMW.
My insurance didn't go up. And runflats suck so don't buy them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #39
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

How does pay to play have anything to do with the reliability issues on some of these cars? For those with issues: Your paying a premium to not have your car because it's in the shop?

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #40
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Pay to play has nothing to do with reliability issues.

A BOV won't affect reliability. It might make you look like a tool. Use your discretion.

My car, which is now approaching 57k miles, was/is a CPO, and I'm glad it was. I also bought the extended maintenance, which I'm glad I did. As I'm typing, it's in the shop for a clutch (covered by maintenance), the stupid seatbelt extender arms (CPO warranty) and the HPFP replacement/reprogram recall.

I've had injectors, coils, plugs, software issues, a new left exhaust pipe and now a clutch, in addition to the usual brake replacement and other wear and tear items.

When it works, it's worth it all the problems five times over.

I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a simpler engine - if I'm not mistaken, the M3 is the most reliable car in the entire BMW line (says Roundel? again, if I remember correctly) - but I quickly forget about that when I get to crank a few gears on an onramp. The power delivery of the N54 is a thing of beauty.
      01-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #41
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolheaduzman View Post
Hi There,

I just joined this forum and was looking into buying a 335i with the n54 engine. I finally saved up enough and am ready to buy my first car. So my question is that what are the common problems with these cars? Has the HPFP problems been fixed? Since this is my first car i plan on keeping it for until 250k or 160miles. Whats the typical life of the turbos? Should i look out for any diverter valve issues as i read that a lot of cars that run the air through the engine instead of a bov have a sludge manifold problems.

Also what are some reliability upgrades you guys recommend? (catch can system, bigger intercooler, bigger oil cooler) Whats the problem with putting a bov on the n54 engine?

I know these are a lot of questions, but since I am putting a lot of savings into this purchase and plan on keeping it for long I want to be sure, this will a reliable car for me. I have driven my friends 335i and I am totally hooked.

Thanks A lot for the future advice.
Other than the HPFP its probably no less reliable than anything else on the road. Having said that, this forum is where people who have had problems hang out so keep that in mind. There are only about 900 members here (way less than half active) and thousands of cars out there so its a very small percentage.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #42
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

335's are like a moded 328i. with the increase in performance you do get a bit more fragile engine. In fact, the higher performance (output ) this is usually the case.

Example: Owned a classic 911 and it was great but they need funds to keep going. I knew that going in and was cool with it. Had my fun.

335 is a lot of performance for the money. CPO gives you a few years but is not the end all to a trouble free/expense free existence.

I decided to not enter into the 335 goodness but still enjoy all the dynamics with a 328i with sport and mt but its not as fast. 335 is a blast to drive no doubt but it comes with a price. You have a better chance at reliability with the 328i but you get a trade off.

Many have NOT had nightmare problems with the 335. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #43
Vypurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335Ci

For 160 miles - sure. For 160K miles, eh, like one post says, that's a lottery ride. Can't say I'd recommend a 335 as a 1st car or as your only car. I've owned 7 BMWs, 3, 5, 7, etc., all had problems, I'd never own a BMW without a warranty/CPO & I sell before it runs out. I had a seat malfunction in my 7 ... $11K repair ... for a seat. Anyway, you could get one with no probs, so far I'm 25K mis into my 335C and no issues for me, although the turbos rattle like something's going to fly off, the brakes clunk, it false starts sometimes & stalls, yada yada. But find a safer better handling vert with a manual & 300hp that can get 25+mpg. i love the car, but don't recommend it, I know that sounds funny, but I don't depend on it either.

But 1st car, saviing up long-time, etc., i agree with many on here, not your best choice ...now. But if you're passion can't be swayed, please go with a CPO/warranty - although some will argue, I strongly believe it's needed. Good luck & congrats on saving up like that, bro, it's not easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #44
petrolheaduzman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
What kind of idiotic question is this?Here's your answer...335 is a shitbox if i were you I would purchase a 5 year old toyota where you could easily get 300k miles...There's your stupid answer
Read the beginning of this thread before making such unnecessary comments. Thank you for the useless advice.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread