E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > INPA equivalent of BT Tool Transmission Adaptation Reset / same throttle valve reset?

12-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

INPA equivalent of BT Tool Transmission Adaptation Reset / same throttle valve reset?

Can someone please confirm that hitting F3 for "Reset Adaptation Values" on the attached screen shot is the equivalent of resetting the adapatations with the BT Tool?

Is this different than the throttle body (sometimes referred to as throttle valve) adapatation reset? The one where you basically hold the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds as outlined here: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812743

Thridly, I've also see it mentioned that you can do this in tool 32 using the job: STEUERN_ADAPTS_RESET_WITHOUT_TCC. See last post in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646357 Not sure if this is the same as the above but I get a Error_ECU_subfunction_not_supported_invalid_format when trying to do this. So not sure if this applicable to my car or maybe tool32 software isn't setup correctly.

I'm the second owner of my car and find the 1 - 2 shift has an annoying lag / momentary reduction of power which makes getting the car moving not smooth. I know I can try different ZUSB flashes and have tried Alpina but really want to keep this on topic and focused on transmission adaptations.
Attached Images

12-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

i havent seen that screen in my INPA so I dont know what it does, but there is an adaptation value reset for each module as shown below by doing F8 after selecting msd 80.0. Thats what I use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
i havent seen that screen in my INPA so I dont know what it does, but there is an adaptation value reset for each module as shown below by doing F8 after selecting msd 80.0. Thats what I use.
Thanks...I got to the screen i was on by connecting to the transmission module. Whereas obviously the screen you're on is for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

The gas pedal thing only resets parameters related to recent driver behavior. It requires no adaptation period and I doubt it actually does anything in the TCU (vs say throttle or load parameters in the ECU that are passed to the TCU). INPA resets internal TCU settings for parts/fluid wear, much longer duration. After a reset with INPA usually recommended to drive around for 50-100 miles, slowly increasing TQ levels. You'd do the latter for example, if you replaced internal parts.

BTW I am pretty sure re-flashing the TCU (say with Alpina B3 or other) DOES NOT automatically reset TCU wear parameters.

I do not know if the BT tool reset vs INPA is different.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
The gas pedal thing only resets parameters related to recent driver behavior. It requires no adaptation period and I doubt it actually does anything in the TCU (vs say throttle or load parameters in the ECU that are passed to the TCU). INPA resets internal TCU settings for parts/fluid wear, much longer duration. After a reset with INPA usually recommended to drive around for 50-100 miles, slowly increasing TQ levels. You'd do the latter for example, if you replaced internal parts.

BTW I am pretty sure re-flashing the TCU (say with Alpina B3 or other) DOES NOT automatically reset TCU wear parameters.

I do not know if the BT tool reset vs INPA is different.
Thanks for all the insight. I also agree that I dont think updating / changing the trans software also resets adaptations.

Can you confirm that the screen shots I posted is in fact the INPA method of resetting the transmission adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
Thanks for all the insight. I also agree that I dont think updating / changing the trans software also resets adaptations.

Can you confirm that the screen shots I posted is in fact the INPA method of resetting the transmission adaptations?
That looks correct, assuming you got there via:

F9 E90

Transmission

Gearbox Control module GS19

F6 Activate

F3 Reset adaption values

FYI for resetting adaptations on the Alpina flash you need an updated GS19.ipo that includes the GS19D option, or a separate GS19D.ipo file. There are several versions of GS19 floating around, not all have the D designation in there that covers the Alpina flash. INPA won't even let you select transmission if you do not have the right GS19 loaded in the right sub folder.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That looks correct, assuming you got there via:

F9 E90

Transmission

Gearbox Control module GS19

F6 Activate

F3 Reset adaption values

FYI for resetting adaptations on the Alpina flash you need an updated GS19.ipo that includes the GS19D option, or a separate GS19D.ipo file. There are several versions of GS19 floating around, not all have the D designation in there that covers the Alpina flash. INPA won't even let you select transmission if you do not have the right GS19 loaded in the right sub folder.
@ajsalida Thanks again for the confirmation and the detailed response. The steps you outlined are exactly the ones I followed so I should be good on the transamission adaptation reset. Not to get off topic but as much as I like the M mode of Alpina I really couldn't stand the D mode of Alpina. I'm currently on ZB 7603527 outlined here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=284237 So the GS19.ipo file I have must be at least good enough to reset the adaptations on the ZB I currently have flashed.

You seem to know your stuff so if you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain a little bit. There are a lot of ZB numbers floating around. Do you know for sure if the ZB 7603527 is definitely the newest stock flash for our transmissions (I have a 2009 model year). Also, I am xdrive. Is there possibly a more appropriate updated stock trans flash specific to the xdrive? Or isn't there some way in Winkfp in comfort mode to just punch in your VIN number and it will tell you the most up to date ZB for my specific car, for the specific module I'm working with?

Finally while on the topic of adaptations. In regards to the throttle body (or valve) adaptation reset - the one where people say you can hold the gas pedal down as I mentioned in the first post. In INPA, in the selective adaptation value 1 menu (see post #2), would that be the same as hitting F6 for throttle? Or I think in another menu there is one labeled "DKP - throttle"
      12-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

I really don't know much more about latest ZB for our cars than is in that N54tech thread. I also do not know if there is a different flash for XI, I doubt it. My AWD works fine with Alpina, no errors or codes.

I remember one guy was getting errors related to DSC and it was thought he may have messed up going back to the wrong TCU file (for non XI vs XI) but that makes no sense. Cannot remember which forum that was on, maybe here?

Don't know about the various throttle adaptations either, but I would guess it is NOT the same as the gas pedal thing. These INPA adaptation resets are more for replacing and re-calibrating ECU/TCU to new hardware pieces. The gas pedal thing just resets a short term memory of driver behavior.

There are as I am sure you know ECU resets that may or may not include throttle mapping. Cobb for example lets you reset ECU parameters, but it is not clear to me how extensive that is WRT resets allowed in INPA.

Last edited by ajsalida; 12-26-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I really don't know much more about latest ZB for our cars than is in that N54tech thread. I also do not know if there is a different flash for XI, I doubt it. My AWD works fine with Alpina, no errors or codes.

I remember one guy was getting errors related to DSC and it was thought he may have messed up going back to the wrong TCU file (for non XI vs XI) but that makes no sense. Cannot remember which forum that was on, maybe here?

Don't know about the various throttle adaptations either, but I would guess it is NOT the same as the gas pedal thing. These INPA adaptation resets are more for replacing and re-calibrating ECU/TCU to new hardware pieces. The gas pedal thing just resets a short term memory of driver behavior.

There are as I am sure you know ECU resets that may or may not include throttle mapping. Cobb for example lets you reset ECU parameters, but it is not clear to me how extensive that is WRT resets allowed in INPA.
Gotcha. I actually hooked my car up to winkfp and read the UIF and the original trans flash I had from the factory is 7601492 which is the same as the non xi guys all reference as the older standard stock flash. So that would support that they're is no difference for xi and non xi.

I tried the gas pedal thing and maybe its placebo or maybe not but I seem to get less lag from pedal input to the engine revving. I may hold off doing any additional resets in INPA regarding throttle.

And I hear you on Cobb. Not sure what exactly gets reset when it does its "ecu reset"

I'm kind of just down to not liking that annoying interruption in power on the 1 - 2 shift. Its unsettling, right after I get moving the acceleration is interrupted while the shift takes place and then resumes. And this is when pulling out slowly and smoothly. I do have to get some more miles on for the car to relearn being that I just reset the trans adaptations in INPA earlier this week so hopefully things will improve.

I actually just wish the car would start out in 2nd gear in D mode. If I have it start out in 2nd in M mode its soo much smoother and feels like a "normal car". My car always starts in first. I can feel it and I've displayed the gear channel on my cobb while driving to confirm. Of course there are a ton of conflicting reports on the forums and some guys seem to swear their cars start in 2nd unless they floor it off the line.

I wish there was some way to tell the car to just start off in 2nd the majority of the time or maybe there is some specific way to drive it after resetting the adaptations so it learns to do this?
      12-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

My car D mode has no hiccup 1-2, it's like a CVT. The annoying thing there is how fast it shifts up to 6th and how it does not want to downshift soon enough. I have taken to just using the paddles to downshift in D, took some relearning.

S mode yeah, 1-2 from a stop is annoying going slow w light throttle. Going fast it is fine. M mode of course always starts in 2nd from a stop.

To recap I have the Alpina flash and have reset adaptations though INPA. It did shift a little rough at first but I took it easy for 100 miles or so slowly ramping up throttle inputs. Now it is fine. So far so good, and it is so much better than the stock map I am willing to live with the minor issues. Unfortunately until someone cracjs the formidable encryption on the TCU files, we are stuck with this or the later 2011 flash as only alternatives to the original stock map.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car D mode has no hiccup 1-2, it's like a CVT. The annoying thing there is how fast it shifts up to 6th and how it does not want to downshift soon enough. I have taken to just using the paddles to downshift in D, took some relearning.

S mode yeah, 1-2 from a stop is annoying going slow w light throttle. Going fast it is fine. M mode of course always starts in 2nd from a stop.

To recap I have the Alpina flash and have reset adaptations though INPA. It did shift a little rough at first but I took it easy for 100 miles or so slowly ramping up throttle inputs. Now it is fine. So far so good, and it is so much better than the stock map I am willing to live with the minor issues. Unfortunately until someone cracjs the formidable encryption on the TCU files, we are stuck with this or the later 2011 flash as only alternatives to the original stock map.
I did run Alpina for a few weeks and it did behave like a CVT in D mode and I didn't have the 1 - 2 hiccup. I'm on the 2011 flash for now. But like you said, I could not stand how it was it 6th gear by 40 mph and was super reluctant to downshift. These issues for me were enough for me to move away from Alpina

Ideally, like you said, if they can crack the TCU encryption then we could start getting the best of both worlds. If we could basically get the quickness of shifting in Alpina D mode with the higher shift points of the stock flash and its more willingness to downshift that would perfect for me and probably most of us.