BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

09-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Question Shop recommendations in Vancouver

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good, reputable shop that I can trust to work on my M3. I want to order and install an air intake, an Akrapovic Evolution exhaust and some other things. Someone who can help me choose an air intake, order and install it for a good price would be great.

Where do you Vancouver people service your cars besides the dealer?
      09-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3

I've had work done at 2 places and I'm pretty happy with both. If you want a high end place, Performance One by AutoWest BMW. If you want a more reasonable place, but has a good rep, Garage Five.

Performance One installed an Underdrive pulley and installed a tune for me. Garage Five did an intake, exhaust, wheels and tires. I can fill you in more on each place if you want to meet up some time, or over pm.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M3 View Post
I've had work done at 2 places and I'm pretty happy with both.
Cool, thanks for the info. Garage Five sounds interesting, especially since I bought the car I don't have such deep pockets.

I'll probably do wheels and tires for the winter, then air intake, and maybe exhaust next year or even later (depending on price). I'm getting the BPM tune this month and want to experience the car Stage 1 for a while before going further.

I'd be down to meet up sometime, it would be nice to meet other M3 owners.
      09-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage Five is a pretty reputable Tuner shop. They will try to get you what you want. Their labour rates are cheaper then Performance One, but they're busy so getting in would take longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

didn't know garage five work on Euro cars too.
I thought they were JDM specialized shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep

A few years ago when I wanted to get some work done on my Mini, I wanted Alta products. Alta gave me them as a dealer, probably because Alta's sister company does stuff for Subies. They were able to get other products for me as well. I was happy with their prices and their work.

When I wanted Volk wheels for my M3, I went to them. They also were able to get the exhaust system I wanted for my M3, Challenge USA. Again happy with their prices and their work. They'll try to get anything for you from anyone.

Yes, they are predominately a JDM shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
et410114
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

I used to go to garage five when I drove my Honda.
But I did see couple Euro cars there, I am not are they the customers or just friends of owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
et410114
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinz View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good, reputable shop that I can trust to work on my M3. I want to order and install an air intake, an Akrapovic Evolution exhaust and some other things. Someone who can help me choose an air intake, order and install it for a good price would be great.

Where do you Vancouver people service your cars besides the dealer?
For the air intake, maybe you can check out this brand.
Recently, I have seem them post on many forums. They keep promote their air intakes. But I haven't heard anyone has any feedback yet.
http://www.arma-performance.blogspot.tw/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by et410114 View Post
For the air intake, maybe you can check out this brand.
Recently, I have seem them post on many forums. They keep promote their air intakes. But I haven't heard anyone has any feedback yet.
Hmm, it looks nice, but I'd rather get something tried & proven with dyno results to know what kind of gains I'm getting. The reason to upgrade the filter is for performance after all.

I was thinking about the AA filter, $100 for +8hp/+5tq, which is pretty good. Or for $370 more I can get an additional +10hp/+10tq with the aFe intake. But after thinking about how the car is still under warranty, and they will replace the air filter once it's due, maybe I should wait until the warranty is over? On the other hand, these aftermarket filters are reusable and will probably last longer than the life of the car, so why not get it now to get more use out of it?

Also, a simple drop in for 8hp for $100 or 18hp for $370 is another decision...
      10-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep

From everything I've read, a drop in filter is pretty much as good as anything. Not sure about the hp and torque #'s you're quoting though. I didn't think they were that high.

I got the aFe Stage 1 (filter and charge pipe) installed at the same time as my exhaust and didn't notice anything from it, either increased sound or performance. I understand given it was done at the same time as the exhaust, it would be hard to notice ... just sayin.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M3 View Post
From everything I've read, a drop in filter is pretty much as good as anything. Not sure about the hp and torque #'s you're quoting though. I didn't think they were that high.

I got the aFe Stage 1 (filter and charge pipe) installed at the same time as my exhaust and didn't notice anything from it, either increased sound or performance. I understand given it was done at the same time as the exhaust, it would be hard to notice ... just sayin.
Look at the dyno here:

It's pretty impressive from just an intake. A filter replacement would help with the airflow, but the stock one is already pretty large and "good enough". The real benefit with these Cold Air Intakes is that they make the air COLDER. And this is where the performance gains come from. Looking at the temperature readings here and doing some simple physics calculations (ideal gas law, otto cycle), you get a thermal efficiency increase of 1.3% just from 8 degrees lower intake temperature. Coupled with improvement airflow (more than double, link here) you can get close to 5% more power. So it's not surprising you can see gains of +18hp or more. If you want to do the calculations yourself, go here or if you're not physically inclined, use this calculator for relative horsepower calculations.

The question, is it noticeable? Ok a 5% increase by itself might not be. But add in a tune, exhaust and pulley and they'll all add up. Literally, say best case, 18+10+22+20 = 70 hp increase at the wheels, that's 85 hp at the flywheel, you're bound to feel that. Maybe with the incremental increases it won't be noticeable with each upgrade, but drive in a stock M3 for a while and you'll quickly appreciate your mods. At this point you might even think of a supercharger, but they run the engine harder and I wouldn't do it until the car is out of warranty. They do provide one of the best $/hp increases though. Note that I haven't done any of this yet, I'm just assuming this will be the case based on the dynos I've seen and information I've read here and elsewhere.

If I bought a used M3, I'd consider supercharging it. I don't think there are any Dinan dealers in Vancouver, are there? So the road of intake, exhaust, pulley, and tuning is what I'm doing to make the car more efficient and... faster. Anyway, enough of the rant... I wish the Akra Evo exhaust wasn't so expensive!!!
      10-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
AW M3
Private
Canada
Rep

Performance One is a Dinan dealer.

I did the intake, exhaust, underdrive pulley and tune and it is noticeable. Sharper throttle response, quicker revving, pulls harder. It's just about right ... for me anyway.
Appreciate 0