BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
kapusmd
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Suggested Route for PCD delivery?

I'm picking up my 135i at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC next month. The following day, I'm going to take my time driving back to northern Virginia. I don't want to take too long, but I'm looking for a fast, winding road where I can really give my new toy a workout. (Obeying the break-in period rules, of course.) Does anyone have any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

You'll pass right through were I grew up. Lots of great roads there, but here are a couple of my favorites.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...30469&t=h&z=10

Hayters Gap (D to E) section goes pretty quickly, but it's about as crooked as a road can get, light traffic, and I've never seen a cop there:

Video:

The Route 16 Section will honestly wear you out if you're pushing it a little. By the time you're finished with it, you'll be ready to get back on the highway and set the cruise.

It's got lots of tight low speed corners where you don't have to worry too much about traffic because you can see them coming from above you.

Video: (Youtube compressed this one from the 16:9 format I recorded it in, but it's the only place I have it uploaded. The road isn't as narrow as it looks in that video)

The whole loop from D to G will add maybe 45-60 minutes to your trip, and it's a nice ride. If you run it and go back and watch these videos again afterwards you'll realize that I'm not going nearly as slow as it looks on film.

Edit: Those videos were shot almost exactly a year ago. This is the perfect time of the year for those mountain roads. And if you go....be careful. Those passes are no joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
kapusmd
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Blue82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Here are some directions provided by Jonathan at the PDC:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...6&d=1233252826

I took this route to Ashville in April. The route was great until we got up in the mountains and hit rain and fog. Not being able to see anything sort of defeated the purpose of driving in the mountains.

This route gives you a little time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. However, don't take the BRP north of Ashville because it's closed (or at least was closed in April).
Appreciate 0