E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Log Attached - Cobb - Oscillation - Suttering - 4th Gear - Low Rpm - Full Boost

10-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #45
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Hey, I looked over things briefly and have a suspicion. In one of your revised maps I noticed you edited the lower MAF cells... these should NOT need adjusting. I think you may have mistakenly referenced g/s MAF in the log to kgh in ATR. Adjust ATR to g/s in display options, if this was your mistake and start over.

The cells you will be editing are only really a handful around 170+ g/s at your setpoints. Only adjust under WOT fully spooled at this time... you can move to part/spool later.

For PID, I think it would be good to start a thread on this. Generally, for p-factor, you'd want larger values for +error and lower for -error... its better to be short of your target. It would be great to have some engineering type input here.

NOTE: I do run ATR, but I control boost with procede (along with other things), so I only have limited first hand experience. I just try and help because I want more people making their own adjustments... its not so hard when you have a pool of people gathering experience together. There's not that many adjustments you can make really.

I definitely had ATR displaying kgh and not gs. Thanks for pointing that out. I switched it in display options in ATR and see what you're talking about. I'm currently letting pro tuning freaks handle things but still want to learn and give back to this thread.

I switched to stage 1 aggressive today at the advice of pro tuning freaks and did some logs for them. I found that I had boost spikes in the 200 -333 MAF (gs) range so if I was to edit the WGDC base table, I would be working with the coordinates in the lower right hand corner of the graph.

Last edited by mfish123; 10-04-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Update of progress

So as I'm waiting for the etune to be completed I couldn't help but continue to mess around with ATR.

I've managed to get rid of the overboost, especially the large one around 4,000 RPM's. And throttle closures, even small ones, are next to gone.

However as we can see the oscillations remains. It seems like as soon as boost mean hits requested boost, the DME overacts and knocks boost back down drastically as soon as the numbers match. Maybe an overreaction of the PID system. I'm not really sure as I'm just learning but wanted to share my findings so others can possibly benefit.

Before and after data plots attached as well as the most recent WGDC Base in ATR.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #47
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Basically, you log "Boost setpoint factor" and "MAF req(WGDC)" and then adjust the WGDC base table in the corresponding cells where the overshoots/undershoots occur. For over boosting i like to make adjustments(reductions) by a factor of 5-10%. For under boosts I go by a smaller value(2-5%) because as you increase the value the percentage increase grows each time. Increasing the WGDC adder table also works on under boost, but I kind of like using the base table.

My stock turbos are pretty healthy and not very picky so I haven't had to make a lot of changes. I have a set of TD04s on the way, when they get installed I have a felling I'm going to be spending a lot time in the WGDC tables haha
Thanks buddy
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #48
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Basically, you log "Boost setpoint factor" and "MAF req(WGDC)" and then adjust the WGDC base table in the corresponding cells where the overshoots/undershoots occur. For over boosting i like to make adjustments(reductions) by a factor of 5-10%. For under boosts I go by a smaller value(2-5%) because as you increase the value the percentage increase grows each time. Increasing the WGDC adder table also works on under boost, but I kind of like using the base table.

My stock turbos are pretty healthy and not very picky so I haven't had to make a lot of changes. I have a set of TD04s on the way, when they get installed I have a felling I'm going to be spending a lot time in the WGDC tables haha
Good info, thanks!
Appreciate 0