E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Log Attached - Cobb - Oscillation - Suttering - 4th Gear - Low Rpm - Full Boost

10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Log Attached - Cobb - Oscillation - Suttering - 4th Gear - Low Rpm - Full Boost

I'm running stage 1 sport 4.01 linear throttle and my only hardware mod is DCI. I literally just got the car used (2009 335i sedan 6MT) with 38K last week from the dealer so I don't even know if there is 91 or 93 octane in the tank now.

Spark plugs have 5k on them and the HPFP was replaced in 2010. If I go WOT in the lower RPM range (e.g. don't down shift), I can feel some oscillation when the boost comes on. Also, very occasionally there will be a slight miss when idling.

Attached is a short log from 2500 - 3500 rpm in 4th gear at WOT where I could feel the oscillation. There are some timing corrections.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to remedy this? Am I hurting my engine or turbos? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4thGearOscillation.zip (2.3 KB, 134 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

While I don't know how to read logs like everyone here, I am willing to bet it's either your plugs or coils. Any codes thrown - you can check them with COBB.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
While I don't know how to read logs like everyone here, I am willing to bet it's either your plugs or coils. Any codes thrown - you can check them with COBB.
Now codes thrown that are causing an SES light. I'll scan the car with the accessport to see if there are any hidden / shadow codes. Thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

u should really do a full 3rd gear log and shift into 4th.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

I haven't looked at the logs but what you're experiencing doesn't necessarily have to be boost oscillation. Could be you're just loading your engine too much at a high gear. Do that in a subaru at high boost and Boom...

If you post the graph, you'll get more responses. Especially from people at work like myself
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
I haven't looked at the logs but what you're experiencing doesn't necessarily have to be boost oscillation. Could be you're just loading your engine too much at a high gear. Do that in a subaru at high boost and Boom...

If you post the graph, you'll get more responses. Especially from people at work like myself
I hear ya. You're right that its stupid to go WOT in low rpms in a high gear. If I want to accelerate at a rate that needs WOT then I should be doing that in conjunction with a down shift.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
I hear ya. You're right that its stupid to go WOT in low rpms in a high gear. If I want to accelerate at a rate that needs WOT then I should be doing that in conjunction with a down shift.
Yup, and again once I see the logs it will be clearer.

In my car for instance, if I go WOT in 5th at 2000 RPM, when boost ramps up I'll hear weird noise from my engine and it was rough... too much load, not good.

If your boost looks OK, then it is most probably what I'm telling you about. I've asked before, and the answer was always "Don't do it"
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
steinkrieg
Steinkrieg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I have the exact issue... Here is a little bit of background as I have been trying to work it out...

My car: 2008 335xi e92

Colorado = 91 Octane

Cobb = Stage 1 Drive - Linear Throttle

I called Cobb about a month ago, and it does seem that the 4.02 does a far better job at solving boost oscillation, than the 4.01 maps. I am getting an intercooler put on soon, so this should solve it completely with the stage 1 + fmic 4.02 maps.

I'm a bit mod addicted, and last week I put on an AFE Cold Air Intake (CAI). To my surprise the oscillation has been greatly reduced. I did not put this on to solve the problem, but there is no doubt that the issue is at least 80% better... sometimes I really need to listen to hear it at all. I was getting the issue mainly between 3-4k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. Overall, I have to think the CAI is what has affected this, as it is currently to only intake or exhaust mod that I have. I would be interested to hear what happens if you do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinkrieg View Post
I have the exact issue... Here is a little bit of background as I have been trying to work it out...

My car: 2008 335xi e92

Colorado = 91 Octane

Cobb = Stage 1 Drive - Linear Throttle

I called Cobb about a month ago, and it does seem that the 4.02 does a far better job at solving boost oscillation, than the 4.01 maps. I am getting an intercooler put on soon, so this should solve it completely with the stage 1 + fmic 4.02 maps.

I'm a bit mod addicted, and last week I put on an AFE Cold Air Intake (CAI). To my surprise the oscillation has been greatly reduced. I did not put this on to solve the problem, but there is no doubt that the issue is at least 80% better... sometimes I really need to listen to hear it at all. I was getting the issue mainly between 3-4k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. Overall, I have to think the CAI is what has affected this, as it is currently to only intake or exhaust mod that I have. I would be interested to hear what happens if you do the same thing.
Thanks for the input. I really wish cobb would release the 4.02 maps for stage 1 but their official stance seems to be that regular stage 1 doesn't suffer from osciallations. I have DCI intakes but they're not CAI. However, my intake air temps are not too bad. Did you come from the stock air box to CAI or DCI to CAI? I generally see the most timing pulls in the 2500 - 4000 rpm range when boost is coming on strong.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

NEW LOGS - 3rd to 4th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Yup, and again once I see the logs it will be clearer.

In my car for instance, if I go WOT in 5th at 2000 RPM, when boost ramps up I'll hear weird noise from my engine and it was rough... too much load, not good.

If your boost looks OK, then it is most probably what I'm telling you about. I've asked before, and the answer was always "Don't do it"
I filled up with Shell 93 Octane and threw the aggressive tune on. It feels a little better seat of the pants but still there are some timing pulls. Please review the attached log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3rdTo4thPullOct01Aggressive.zip (10.9 KB, 124 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
steinkrieg
Steinkrieg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I really wish cobb would release the 4.02 maps for stage 1 but their official stance seems to be that regular stage 1 doesn't suffer from osciallations. I have DCI intakes but they're not CAI. However, my intake air temps are not too bad. Did you come from the stock air box to CAI or DCI to CAI? I generally see the most timing pulls in the 2500 - 4000 rpm range when boost is coming on strong.
I did go from stock to CAI. Honestly, I'm not technical enough to know why or how this would help the cause, but there is no doubt in my mind that the oscillations are waaaay lower, and sometimes gone altogether now... And this happened right away after installing the CAI.

I called Cobb a few weeks ago, and I was able to get the rep to admit that there is a bit of a hole in their programming with this issue between 4.01 and 4.02... I think they are now starting to realize this is an issue because of feedback, so send yours in as well. It will help Cobb to know this needs attention.

As I said, I'm on to the stage 1 + fmic maps soon, so hopefully this will all go away. Regardless, you may want to try a CAI as It can't really hurt to do the upgrade. Some say it even helps out MPG by a small amount. I felt like I could feel the car breathing better within minutes of my first drive with the CAI I put on... side note, it helps the sound of the exhaust note in a pretty big way.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I filled up with Shell 93 Octane and threw the aggressive tune on. It feels a little better seat of the pants but still there are some timing pulls. Please review the attached log.
it would be much easier for all to answer and review if you plot and upload a picture of the log :
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=zasquatch

Above an excel that works very well to plot and review.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
it would be much easier for all to answer and review if you plot and upload a picture of the log :
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=zasquatch

Above an excel that works very well to plot and review.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Here is the graph
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

you got some slight throttle closures there and oscillations. your car is not liking the ots map.

you need to rework it with ATR or put an intercooler on and run stage 1+ . Whats your ROM?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you got some slight throttle closures there and oscillations. your car is not liking the ots map.

you need to rework it with ATR or put an intercooler on and run stage 1+ . Whats your ROM?
I'd love to throw an intercooler on. Seems like an easy direct fit mod and not that expensive. However, I have a CPO warranty and if I ever need to go the delear I don't want to risk voiding it, if I take it in with an aftermarket intercooler.

ATR is a little over my head. Do you think you can help?

My ECU is IJE0S
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Unless youre doing major warranty work, in which case the techs will find your dme flash and its moot, a fmic is unlikely to cause a problem. Granted it varies by dealership, but as mods go intercoolers tend to be OK, they arent the type of blatant power mod that says to the dealer "why yes i am going for maximum whp" (ie DPs, charge pipes, etc). Its a very prudent support mod, lower engine stress+modest power gains=win win.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to throw an intercooler on. Seems like an easy direct fit mod and not that expensive. However, I have a CPO warranty and if I ever need to go the delear I don't want to risk voiding it, if I take it in with an aftermarket intercooler.

ATR is a little over my head. Do you think you can help?

My ECU is IJE0S
is actually quite easy to cure that with ATR but first you need to get it from Cobb. Free from their website to request through a form.

Just get an intercooler, is not that visible anyway , for example the ETS 5 inch is pretty much p&p , no cutting and not that oversize .
Otherwise if you plan running stage 1 for a long time i suggest you get in touch with Protuningfreaks and get an etune. is quite cheap. See my sig
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Unless youre doing major warranty work, in which case the techs will find your dme flash and its moot, a fmic is unlikely to cause a problem. Granted it varies by dealership, but as mods go intercoolers tend to be OK, they arent the type of blatant power mod that says to the dealer "why yes i am going for maximum whp" (ie DPs, charge pipes, etc). Its a very prudent support mod, lower engine stress+modest power gains=win win.
I hear ya. I've read all about warranty issues. Its the old pay to play motto at the end of the day. If I ever go to the delear I'll uninstall cobb and I do have the BT Tool which I've heard can delete some codes that Cobb sometimes misses. But it sounds like even if I do that, if they really want to dig they'll probably still find something.

I would like an intercooler almost more for lowering engine stress than the added performance as I plan to keep my car for a while. I may reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya. I've read all about warranty issues. Its the old pay to play motto at the end of the day. If I ever go to the delear I'll uninstall cobb and I do have the BT Tool which I've heard can delete some codes that Cobb sometimes misses. But it sounds like even if I do that, if they really want to dig they'll probably still find something.

I would like an intercooler almost more for lowering engine stress than the added performance as I plan to keep my car for a while. I may reconsider.
please DO reconsider , the intercooler is A MUST on this car , the stock one is a joke .
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
is actually quite easy to cure that with ATR but first you need to get it from Cobb. Free from their website to request through a form.

Just get an intercooler, is not that visible anyway , for example the ETS 5 inch is pretty much p&p , no cutting and not that oversize .
Otherwise if you plan running stage 1 for a long time i suggest you get in touch with Protuningfreaks and get an etune. is quite cheap. See my sig
I commented on the intercooler issue in the above post. Something for me to seriously reconsider.

I just requested ATR from Cobb and they sent me the download link in minutes. Its installing now! I'm fairly technical but I can't seem to find a good tutorial and I'm sure any mis calculations or data entry error on my part would result in damage to my car. I'm thinking the $200 to Protuning Freaks would probably be money well spent to have it "done right"

Am I missing something? Is there something surefire and straightforwared that I can change with ATR to fix the oscillations or is everyone's situation unique?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I commented on the intercooler issue in the above post. Something for me to seriously reconsider.

I just requested ATR from Cobb and they sent me the download link in minutes. Its installing now! I'm fairly technical but I can't seem to find a good tutorial and I'm sure any mis calculations or data entry error on my part would result in damage to my car. I'm thinking the $200 to Protuning Freaks would probably be money well spent to have it "done right"

Am I missing something? Is there something surefire and straightforwared that I can change with ATR to fix the oscillations or is everyone's situation unique?
It's pretty easy to correct what's going on, but it takes a few steps. If you would like to PM me i can walk you through it or i can work with you on a map to resolve it. I don't mind making an oscillation fix map for you, but i prefer to teach someone. The old "teach a man to fish" adage.

Ohh and the $200 spent on a PTF map would be VERY well spent
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

I made a guide but its in italian LOL.
Need to translate it. You can cure it with probably 5-6 map revision but for 100% results and more powa ptf is the way to go. Awesome guys !
Appreciate 0