BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, mt

Question Bad Y-cable vs. Broken USB/headphone cnxn

So...here's what happened:

2009 135i w/entry-level stereo w/USB and headphone cnxn under armrest.

About a year ago, my dad overheard me saying that I needed a y-cable but refused to pay BMW official accessory prices. Being a lot like me, he also wanted to try a knockoff before splurging for the official y-cable. He bought a knock-off, after doing some research. I know these are 'iffy' in terms of whether they work or not.

About a month ago, I broke the y-connector by closing the armrest on it while I had my Iphone upside down in a cupholder. Pretty stupid, but I split into enough pieces that it was completely done for.

So, since then, no way to use Iphone-->Mp3 capablities.

About two weeks ago, I did the carbon fiber vinyl mod on my interior. To cover the ashtray, I removed the entire center console and had to disconnect USB/mp3 unit to get the ashtray out.

After that, I reorder the y-cable. My dad dug up his original email invoice and we reordered the same thing. The Y-cable that arrived differed from the picture and differed from the one I originally had (Despite attempting to order the same part # from the same amazon seller.)

Anyway, I used the y-cable to plug my iphone into my car. I am able to see the song, change songs, and generally control the music. However, no sound comes out regardless of the volume...just silence.

My Question: I either improperly reconnected the component when I reinstalled the center console or the y-cable simply doesn't work. Is there any way or tool I can use to diagnose whether the USB/headphone plate was improperly connected versus just a bad y-connector?

To be fair, I'm at least 70% sure this is my bad on this one...but I'm hoping to avoid taking out the whole console again just to visually inspect the connections. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas on determining what specifically is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

My bet is you forgot to plug something back in when doing the vinyl interior mod. The same happened to me.

if you are using the Y cable, and your phone appears as "ipod" under devices, then we know the USB part is working by your description. That means it is the AUX part that is not functioning if you can't hear any sound.

The exact same thing happened to me xD. Went on a road trip with friends. He connected his iPhone and we could navigate it, but no sound was coming out whatsoever.

The solution was to open up the small piece that holds the AUX/USB/Charger using trim tools. My AUX cable was not plugged in 100% all the way. I pushed it in deeper, and when I turned on the car again it worked.

You can also test them by just plugging in a ipod USB charger cable. if it charges your iPhone , you know the USB works. Likewise, just use an AUX cable and plug it into the headphone jack of your iphone. If no music comes out, then you know its AUX for sure

Edit: I don't think you need to remove the entire console... yet. First just remove that center trim piece under the armrest(next to e-brake) that houses the connections, and make sure they are nice and tight.

This is the piece I am talking about

09-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, mt

I totally forgot that you can pull it out with trim tools and do not need to remove the entire console. Good call on that.

Also, thanks for letting me know I could try the Aux. hookup with a simple aux. cable (I was thinking maybe the aux. cnxn would only work with the Y-cable)

Thanks!

Last edited by NeedMoreTorque; 09-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Missed something
Appreciate 0