E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No power to CD Changer wires - e91

11-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
evysojf
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 E91 330D

No power to CD Changer wires - e91

Folks,

I'm fitting a Dension GW500 in the trunk/boot of my E91 - and using the CD changer MOST optic fibre connections. Trouble is i've got no 12V supply coming on the 2 red/brown wires which are part of the CD changer connections. I want to use these wires for power, as they should be switched with ignition on/off? I've had a quick look in the fuse box. I think fuse #8 is for the CD changer? well, its in the fuse box ok, and as no CD changer has been fitted in my car previously, I can't see why this would have blown. Gettting to and changing the fuse is a bit of a headache, so just wondering if I've missed something obvious first? any other fuses for the CD changer wiring? Why no +12V?

Cheers for any help
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

If you've never had a CD changer in the car, then it will have to be enabled in the coding of the CAS module. I don't know if simply adding the CDC to the VO (option S672A) affects the power or not though; it could be something else. I'll check later by de-activating my CDC in the VO and see if the power goes away.

Do you have access to or know anyone who can do the coding for you? A dealership will charge you a pretty penny and may require you to have an actual BMW CD-changer present.

Also, did you re-route the MOST fiber cables as per this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4194
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
evysojf
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 E91 330D

cheers for reply GenePoole. Yeah I know I need coding - already arranged with an Autologic equiped dealer in the UK and a CDC is not required - £80. I've been all over the e90 forums over the last few months making sure I've researched before attempting the install myself. Nearly there...

using the CDC power and ground cables has been done by others:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391473
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84125 - note comment about using CDC powersupply

I've also installed the Dension AVR in the trunk alongside the GW500. Running the cables from the head unit for this was the hard part, but all done succesfully, and powered up ok (power comes from head unit harness). Thought I was onto the "easy" bit of simply connecting up power to the GW500. once that was done I was going to switch the MOST ring fibres - No point switching them and losing the radio/bluetooth if the GW500 has no power...

I can power the GW500 direct from the battery terminals (and tested this), but would prefer not to so as not to risk a drain on the battery. the CDC cables would be ideal. I can't see coding the enabling of the CDC suddenly turning on the 12V supply to the CDC, but you never know. Other folks that have installed a GW500 succesfully all seem to have powered up the unit, then gone for coding. (The GW500 has to be visible on the MOST ring to allow the coding I think..)

with a multimeter, the ground on the CDC wires traces back to the ground on the battery ok, but the power wire has no 12v with car key out/key in/engine running....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Cool. I want to keep up with this thread. I've been considering the Denison myself.

I didn't get time to de/recode my CAS before running off to Thanksgiving at my in-laws, but hopefully I'll get to it later tonight, but I may get stuck here; there's a nasty snow storm threatening to box us in.
Appreciate 0