F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > the D90 does video??
Extreme Powerhouse

02-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

the D90 does video??

well, not really.
very poorly. unless you're shooting still life. or snails.

here's a little test:
yeah, you can lock the exposure and put it on sticks, but you can't even see what the settings are locked-in at.

it cannot hold a candle to the video capabilities of the 5D2.
a test with that here:
(in the beginning we're talking about our little mountain run in my 1 and a few bikes).

with the canon, you can set your aperture and then have the shutter speed and ISO where you want them - and with four stops of shutter speed/ISO combinations while you're locked in. no guessing about what settings you're at. the only caveat is having to jump through hoops for each clip to manipulate the camera. in my opinion, worth it if you want 35mm-still-quality lens characteristics in an extremely compact unit.

anyway, anyone using the 5D2 for video only? it's pretty impressive in the high-iso range for video. at above ISO 1,000, it blows our RED One out of the water. but only at the high-ISO range.

discuss.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I wish I had a 5D It shoots better than a lot of professional HD cameras I've worked with.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I personally don't understand the need for "movie mode" in the D-SLRs, other than the general buying public thinks they need it, so manufacturers respond to that "demand." To me it is a study in compromises. Generally multi-function devices will do one or the other very well, but not both. Are there possible exceptions? Sure, I suppose, but those would be exceptions, not the rule.

What's next? The D-SLR/Movie Camera/iPod/iPhone/MobilePC/Fax/Copier/Printer/Scanner/Do-it-all Whizbang? Yes, a little ridiculous, but that seems to be where everything is heading these days.

My personal opinion here:
If you want to take pictures, get a D-SLR.
If you want to make movies, get a video camera.
If you want to do both, get both.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
rodi
. . .
Rep

but what happens when you have a DSLR that is almost at the top of its class that can do video that looks better (image format, low-light) than any sub-$5,000 dedicated camcorder on the market?

i agree with you regarding do-it-all devices. i would never buy a still camera for my stills that could also do video (the 5D2 is a poor still camera overall, image detail aside). but having something like the 5D2 that can do HD video on a full-frame 35mm still-format sensor, AND do it well - is one of those "exceptions" you mentioned. you can't buy an HD video device with even the smaller 35mm motion format for less than $20,000.
never could a 2/3" sensor give you a better picture than a 35mm motion format, and even more so, not better than a 35mm still format. but then, that's assuming everyone favors the inherent characteristics of larger-format/image areas (not talking megapixels here - megapixels do not matter).

i have a still camera that only does stills.
i can have a [different] still camera that i only use for video.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
and why did they add this feature to the new line up again? I still find it pointless and probably wouldn't even use it even if I had a 50d or d90
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
You guys have no idea how nice it is to have video in a dslr until you actually use it. I'm not a video guy at all, but one of the big reasons for me getting the 5dmkII was to dabble in video. Controls are very limited, but you can get amazing results. And it's not like they added extra buttons or changed the camera feel to add video. It's just there if you want it. If you don't care about video, it never gets in the way.

I guess the 5D was made for people like me. I would never buy a dedicated $3-5k video camera, but I want to play in the world of video and I want high end results. I don't have to go out and buy new lenses either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
rodi
. . .
Rep

on the D90, it's pointless, yes.
on the 5D2, because it's a 36mm x 24mm sensor and does low-light video exceptionally well, it's not pointless.

it's not just a "video feature" added as an after-thought to pull in "mainstream" buyers as just another useless feature. or even if it is, maybe canon didn't intend for it to be this good at it.

for the same reason that point-and-shoot cameras with small sensors shoots piss compared to full-frame still cameras, the 5D2 video trumps any video camera in the under-$5,000 camcorder market.

that's why.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You guys have no idea how nice it is to have video in a dslr until you actually use it. I'm not a video guy at all, but one of the big reasons for me getting the 5dmkII was to dabble in video. Controls are very limited, but you can get amazing results. And it's not like they added extra buttons or changed the camera feel to add video. It's just there if you want it. If you don't care about video, it never gets in the way.

I guess the 5D was made for people like me. I would never buy a dedicated $3-5k video camera, but I want to play in the world of video and I want high end results. I don't have to go out and buy new lenses either.
exactly - even if you bought a $5,000 Sony or Canon HD camcorder, you'd never get the look and depth of a full-frame sensor video/film - not without spending $2,000 for a good ground-glass-based 35mm adapter and another $1,500 plus on one fast lens. and then you've got a camcorder twice as long as it was when it was unmodified. yay.

to really take advantage of the video, google how to control all the exposure settings for the video. it's a chore for each clip recorded, but worth it. especially if you have some fast (f/1.4) glass.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I haven't touched my Sony HDV camera for 6 months since buying my first DSLR which was the D40. Taking out two cameras for family trips was a chore. Sold the D40 and bought a D90 a couple of weeks ago. Found myself taking photos and video of my son skiing within a couple of days of ownership. It was great for me. You guys who own $5000+ pro cameras will obviously never get it but these multi function options work for many consumers. For sure if I want quality video I'll break out the HD camera, lenses, shotgun mic (it has photo capability but this really does suck). But for adhoc, spur of the moment video and photos the D90 is sweet. And as said, the D90 has photo capability on par with the D300 which is what ultimately counts. HD video is just a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I've got the 5DII, but didn't buy it for the video. It's good for a "static" video, with no zooming (even with AF, it's hard to match the smoothness of even the base video camera).

I plan to start doing more brief vinettes with it, such as gathering the gang that's on a trip and doing a few seconds here and there and then try to figure a way to intersperse it with my main stills.

I tried to get serious about video in the 1980s and just found that it took away from being a good still photographer. You have to think differently. The 5DII's video capability is at once, powerful, yet hard to fit into the context of documenting a trip or event in combination with stills. I haven't worked this out, as you can tell, and I'm open to hear how others effectively use this capacity.

The video IS STUNNING on my 46" Sony Bravia HDTV.

Dave
      02-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
.... I haven't worked this out, as you can tell, and I'm open to hear how others effectively use this capacity.

Dave
using it as solely a video capture device. on sticks or with a steadycam. with fast prime lens (35 f/1.4L, 24mm f/1.4L, etc...)
it's really quite smooth without fast panning. we have it mounted on a baseplate with rods and a follow-focus, which is really the only way to go.

i don't like the camera for stills, (use the D3 and D3x) but for video, i can put up with the camera's clumsiness. it's remarkable for the price.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Questions to the people with the 5DII.

Can you control the camera through a lap top? Lets say you're shooting video and want to focus on something else, or zoom out, can you do it through a laptop so you dont have shakey footage?

Does this camera work well with the steady cam?

Would you recommend this camera for small video shoots, like love stories or commercials?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
rodi
. . .
Rep

if you don't want shaky footage, use a fluid or any panning tripod and a follow-focus.
check out redrockmicro for their DSLR video accessories.
works with steadycams depending on the weight of your lens (up to five pounds total?).

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Nikon has no history in making video products. The D90 is Nikon's very first video record product ever! Canon has been making video recording devices for several decades.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Full 1080P video is one of the reasons I'm going for the Canon SX1 - I have 720p on my Panasonic FZ28 but the sound is poor.