F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Good Samaritans Lift Fiery 5-Series Off Trapped Motorcyclist
proTUNING Freaks

09-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, E93 M3

Good Samaritans Lift Fiery 5-Series Off Trapped Motorcyclist

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Looks like the guy in the suit is the driver, likely in shock as he seems a little off. Kudos to all that saved the motorcyclist.

Name:  099ad_abc_brandon_wright_hospital_jef_110915_wg.jpg
Views: 12734
Size:  37.0 KB

(From the Sunday Morning Herald):

Despite not wearing a helmet, Riggs said Wright had suffered no head trauma in the accident. Wright does have two broken legs, a broken pelvis, road rash, burns on his left foot and abrasions to his forehead.

Riggs said Wright, who was headed to study at a university computer lab, tried to protect himself by laying his bike down before the collision. Riggs also said Wright remembers some details from the crash and told the family he felt scared and could see and feel the flames.

"He remembers being under the car, spitting up blood and not being able to talk," Riggs said.

(From ABC News):

Brandon Wright, the biker who was pulled from beneath a car lifted by bystanders, told a news conference today that he was glad to be alive but that he cried over his mangled bike.

The scene of students and construction workers rushing over to lift the BMW Monday while flames shot out of the burning motorcycle jammed under the car's front fender captured the country's attention. Wright's unconscious body was dragged from under the vehicle.

Wright, 21, held a news conference today at the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah, today thanking his rescuers, who he called heros.

"They stepped up. They should get used to being called heroes because that's what they are," said Wright, his right eye bloodshot from his accident.

"They restored my faith in humanity," Wright, a student at Utah State University, said while propped up by pillows in his hospital bed.

Wirght suffered a fractures in his right leg and burns on his left leg, but no damage to his head despite his lack of a helmet. Doctors said a head injury would made it harder for him to survive.

His eye was visibly swollen and blood shot during the press conference. He thanked his family, and said his mother and girlfriend had not left his hospital room since the accident.

A habitual adventure-seeker, Wright said he would not give up motorcycle riding, but would be more careful, including wearing a helmet. He even intended to promote motorycycle safety.

"I ride that thing 95 percent of the time," he said. "It's just who I am. I love it. I started crying when I saw my bike, which I know is ridiculous but I did. I'll absolutely be back on two wheels."

Wright said it "wasn't a particularly good bike," but it had been his first bike, hanging on to it even as he bought and sold other motorcycles. He said the bike had "good memories."

Wright was driving his motorcycle just outside the campus in Logan, Utah, around noon on Monday when the black BMW pulled out in front of him. The bike hit the car's hood and bounced to the ground, and Wright slid under the car and became trapped. Both vehicles then burst into flames.

Two construction workers who were working on the fourth floor of a nearby campus building heard the crash and saw Wright's motorcycle go up in flames. They told ABC News that the adrenaline of the situation overwhlemed any sense of fear for their own lives.

"We heard a scratching noise, kind of like an accident," Christensen told Good Morning America. "We could see the bike and it burst into flames and we decided we better go down and check it out."

When Christensen and Mocevic arrived at the scene, a crowd of eight or nine people, according to Christensen, was already working to lift the burning car, while other bystanders flooded 911 with calls.

"Everybody was just reacting. It happened so fast," Lee Christensen said. "Everybody just worked together and we got him out of there."

The action was all caught on video by university staffer Chris Garff, and shows Christensen, wearing his construction vest and gear, pulling Wright's limp body from underneath the car.

"I remember hearing somebody say 'Pull him out, pull him out,' and, when I looked under there, the only thing I could get to was his leg," he said. "I was kind of concerned about pulling him out but I knew he had to be out of there so I made the choice to pull him out."
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

its good to see people working together for a change, but wow, the motorcycle driver doesnt look too good...
      09-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Oh shittt. Hope that guy is ok. Was nice to see them guys lift the car may have just saved his life.
      09-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Driver was fine according to the news last night, just bumps and bruises. Pretty amazing.
      09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Driver was fine according to the news last night, just bumps and bruises. Pretty amazing.
Well, not exactly (emphasis mine).

Despite not wearing a helmet, Riggs said Wright had suffered no head trauma in the accident. Wright does have two broken legs, a broken pelvis, road rash, burns on his left foot and abrasions to his forehead.

Riggs said Wright, who was headed to study at a university computer lab, tried to protect himself by laying his bike down before the collision. Riggs also said Wright remembers some details from the crash and told the family he felt scared and could see and feel the flames.

"He remembers being under the car, spitting up blood and not being able to talk," Riggs said.

(From the Sunday Morning Herald)

Hooray for the bystanders and particularly the young woman who got them into action. Dude got lucky. Won't get into a helmet war here, but anyone who tries to "lay the bike down to protect himself" (or says he did) needs training.

"Laying the bike down" is pretty much the best way to prevent stopping, and is almost always due to panic braking, not a conscious plan.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
So many things I found wrong about that video, and the guy in the suit wasn't even the worst part. Why the fuck were those cops standing there doing NOTHING!? Even after the guy was pulled out from under the car, the cop just stood over him talking on his radio. Start performing first aid you moron!

Props to those other citizens, they saved that man's life that day.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
So many things I found wrong about that video, and the guy in the suit wasn't even the worst part. Why the fuck were those cops standing there doing NOTHING!? Even after the guy was pulled out from under the car, the cop just stood over him talking on his radio. Start performing first aid you moron!

I can't comment on the cop, my guess he was instructing the dispatcher and calling for EMT's.

At one point, the dude in the suit actually is leaning on the trunk while the man is pinned under the car.
      09-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
3rd I've seen this reposted...

The cop was yelling for the other cop to get the jack from his car when the group of people just lifted the car up and dragged him out. After the guy was pulled out, the cop was trying to get the people away from the car so they don't end up injured as well.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

As a motorcyclist myself, i feel for this kid. I was put in to the median by a person that came in to my lane.

Humor:
The BMW driver must have been "playing with the Idrive"
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

The one chick kind of leading the thing looked pretty hot Someone needs to find out who she is. Not many young women out there that would put themselves in harms way like that.
      09-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

It is amazing what strength adrenaline can produce! e60's weigh well over 3 thousand pounds....... props to those who stepped in to help!
      09-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
AKI335I
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

i think by him laying the bike on the ground was his best move. if he would of drove head on he would of flew off his bike and crack his head open.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
vahagn23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

The guy in the suit looks like he didnt even care. "Im not moving that car, im wearing a suit" what a jerk off.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahagn23 View Post
The guy in the suit looks like he didnt even care. "Im not moving that car, im wearing a suit" what a jerk off.
My first thought was that he was the driver, but that might be too harsh. Dick move if he was.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:

I personally would not want to move him unless he was in danger laying there. But who would have known what was wrong with him. You could have done more damage to his body if you did not move him properly.

I just wanna know whos fault it was.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Time for helmet laws like in California. Lucky bastard.
      09-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahagn23 View Post
looked like a fat douche bag to me, didn't even bother assisting in any way shape or form. I bet he'll probably take credit as one of the heroes. lol.

someone should call him out on the internetzzzz and turn it into a meme.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

1. Guy in the suit came from the right of the screen, possible that it was his car. But not 100% certain. If it was his car, the guy is the biggest douche bag ever. Guy did not lift a finger to help while everyone else was scrambling. Actually even if it was not his car, he should have dived in to help. What a useless human being.

2. I agree, girl looked pretty hot.

3. Cops should have performed CPR AFTER the fire was extinguished. Their number one priority before checking for vitals is to ensure the area is secure...a flaming car and bike would definitely cause the area to be in danger, and everyone in close proximity was in danger. So getting the guy out from under the car, and getting the extinguisher to take out the fire was the right move.

Right after however, they failed to go to the guy lying on the floor to check vitals, and then perform CPR. Also considering the smoke created from the extinguisher...it could not have helped the guy lying on the floor breathing it in.

Cops started off strong, but failed in the end to do the right thing.

General public however jumped in from the beginning to end doing the right thing. Thumbs up to them....excluding of course the guy in the suit....fucker should go sky diving without a parachute.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
This is a fantastic example of the general public working together to save a life. This has also restored my faith in humanity.

I, as well as you guys, am troubled by a few things. Being in medicine (including EMS) for over 10 years, I am confused by 2 things:

1. The guy in the suit that looked like he couldn't be bothered. I sure hope it was the driver, because the only excuse he has to not help is that he's still shaken up by the accident. But then again if you knew you pinned a guy under your car, I think you'd be the first one to try to lift up your car.

2. The inability for others to move the victim further out of harms way. The wind was STILL blowing the fire near him, they could have taken another 5 seconds to:
a. Move him further away from the accident
b. Stay with him to reassure him or provide first aid, unconscious or not (obviously away from the scene)
c. The cop, regardless of what he was doing, should have done this or delegated someone to do this. But then again he had to prevent mass casualty if the car or bike were to explode - so one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

But a fantastic job by all of them. I hope all of them are individually honored.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport

That is one lucky dude.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This made the German news last night. Man was that dude oe lucky SOB!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:

They aren't trained to perform first aid. Cops are not suppose to touch an unconscious injured person for fear of making matters worse and also getting sued. That's what the EMT's are for and probably who they were calling.
Appreciate 0