E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > condensation in headlight lens e90

06-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
condensation in headlight lens e90

Hi,

I have condensation in the headlight lens of my 2006 BMW 330i. It really bugs me because it kills the clean look of the front end. It happened after my indy shop was replacing the HID ballast and I assume some air got into the lens space. What are some of my options for removing the condensation? I assume I have to remove the cap under the wheel well and remove some bulb(s) to gain access to the lens, then wipe the condensation off (or would having an air hose to blow out the air work better). Finally, do you think there is a seal that was not seated properly during that service by my shop - and even if I remove the condensation it will only come back?

Thank you

Last edited by antzcrashing; 06-14-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

As the headlights are vented changing a ballast has some but not 100% to do with it. Your in Florida like me, they are going to be foggy for a bit with the current day in and out of 100% humidity we are having. You can try to bake them at a low temp and seal them better but ultimately in our area its going to happen. Im not saying it should happen but the moisture is going to find a way.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
As the headlights are vented changing a ballast has some but not 100% to do with it. Your in Florida like me, they are going to be foggy for a bit with the current day in and out of 100% humidity we are having. You can try to bake them at a low temp and seal them better but ultimately in our area its going to happen. Im not saying it should happen but the moisture is going to find a way.
sorry, wrong answer, my other headlight lens does not do this, so it is not a florida thing. Here is a picture of the other lens and exactly how this one looked before the service:

anyone have any good suggestions other than pretending the weather is the reason...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Pop the cap off the back when it's dry and try and run for an extended time with the lights on to give it the best chance of drying out.
You could also gently heat from the front with a hair dryer with the cap off.
Make sure the seals on the cap are good and that it seats properly.
If you have the hatch on the top of the unit; again make sure that it's seated and screwed down properly and the seals are good.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Pop the cap off the back when it's dry and try and run for an extended time with the lights on to give it the best chance of drying out.
If you have the hatch on the top of the unit; again make sure that it's seated and screwed down properly and the seals are good.
By the hatch on the top of the unit, do you mean the HID unit, or the hatch on entrance of headlight unit? I havent checked these but I will. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
sorry, wrong answer, my other headlight lens does not do this, so it is not a florida thing. Here is a picture of the other lens and exactly how this one looked before the service:

anyone have any good suggestions other than pretending the weather is the reason...
Incorrect again but your light has either needs better vent or a better seal. I run a few car dealerships and you can call it what you want but its not that uncommon. So either the vent is bad so when the lamp is heated the moisture can be baked out or you have a bad seal. The humidity makes it very apparent that its bad. So yes the weather is whats making it so drastic as either water is getting it, or it cant be baked out. All lights have some sort of vent so they are not vacuum sealed. Not going to start and internet fight about it but you have something wrong with your headlight and your headlight can not get it out through the means designed in the housing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing
Quote:
By the hatch on the top of the unit, do you mean the HID unit, or the hatch on entrance of headlight unit? I havent checked these but I will. Thanks
Check the round cap on the back and number 7 on this picture if you have it.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...&ukey_make=973
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Incorrect again but your light has either needs better vent or a better seal. I run a few car dealerships and you can call it what you want but its not that uncommon. So either the vent is bad so when the lamp is heated the moisture can be baked out or you have a bad seal. The humidity makes it very apparent that its bad. So yes the weather is whats making it so drastic as either water is getting it, or it cant be baked out. All lights have some sort of vent so they are not vacuum sealed. Not going to start and internet fight about it but you have something wrong with your headlight and your headlight can not get it out through the means designed in the housing.
Not trying to start an internet fight either but when you say that it is climate related you run the risk that everyone reading my thread simply dismisses it and moves on. Your explanation about the vent and seal seems very reasonable. Can you describe how I can find and verify the venting.

I am trying to avoid baking the lens as this would involve removing the lens which is a significant feat I cannot do. Simpler is better for me to try at first
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Check the round cap on the back and number 7 on this picture if you have it.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...&ukey_make=973
I will check this and reply back, thanks for sending
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Check the gaskets on the covers. It is typical once a cover is removed the gasket doesn't fit properly anymore. One option is to replace the gasket, another option is to place a small silica bag inside the headlight for awhile. Obviously you need to place it somewhere it will not move or touch something hot. That worked for my 135. I have experience opening headlights and moisture is a pain in the ass, but I have done enough of them so my 335 has no issues. You are correct, it doesn't matter where you live and should not happen. GL!

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

As for where the vents are on the E92 I do not know. 99% of cars they are a 90 degree rubber elbow, what happens on most cars is something will find them, like a wasp or other bug and seal them up or create a house in them. Those mud daubers a plague at one of my stores, every April or may you find 20+ cars winking at you from the fog. The vent doesn't allow the moisture to burn out. If you have excessive water/fog in there then you also have a bad seal, these usually show up after driving/hard rain or after you pressure was the car. The biggest culprit there is usually the corners of the lamp. You can add some silicone around the entire seal and this will usually fix more water coming in, but you still need to find out why water isn't leaving like it is designed. Below is an E39 but gives you an idea what they usually look like. Some have a hard cover over the rubber tube so it looks like a part of the rigid housing but there always a rubber tube in there.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Check the gaskets on the covers. It is typical once a cover is removed the gasket doesn't fit properly anymore. One option is to replace the gasket, another option is to place a small silica bag inside the headlight for awhile. Obviously you need to place it somewhere it will not move or touch something hot. That worked for my 135. I have experience opening headlights and moisture is a pain in the ass, but I have done enough of them so my 335 has no issues. You are correct, it doesn't matter where you live and should not happen. GL!
I like the idea of the silica bag, thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As for where the vents are on the E92 I do not know. 99% of cars they are a 90 degree rubber elbow, what happens on most cars is something will find them, like a wasp or other bug and seal them up or create a house in them. Those mud daubers a plague at one of my stores, every April or may you find 20+ cars winking at you from the fog. The vent doesn't allow the moisture to burn out. If you have excessive water/fog in there then you also have a bad seal, these usually show up after driving/hard rain or after you pressure was the car. The biggest culprit there is usually the corners of the lamp. You can add some silicone around the entire seal and this will usually fix more water coming in, but you still need to find out why water isn't leaving like it is designed. Below is an E39 but gives you an idea what they usually look like. Some have a hard cover over the rubber tube so it looks like a part of the rigid housing but there always a rubber tube in there.
much appreciated for the description and image. I will keep this in mind when I am looking around in there
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will check this and reply back, thanks for sending
#6 in that link. I missed that completely. Do not try to remove the lens, only try to seal it better.

Best way to remove moisture and its a pain but remove the headlight, remove the bulbs and place in a low temp oven. Some have a warm setting which is around the 150 temp range. This wont melt anything but after about 20 mins will dry out all the moisture. Then let it cool in the oven, do not pull it out into your house or outside where its damp (Florida). Once that's done, and you go over all the seals to make sure all is good, covers, bulbs, connectors are tight re-install and no more moisture . . . . for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
#6 in that link. I missed that completely. Do not try to remove the lens, only try to seal it better.

Best way to remove moisture and its a pain but remove the headlight, remove the bulbs and place in a low temp oven. Some have a warm setting which is around the 150 temp range. This wont melt anything but after about 20 mins will dry out all the moisture. Then let it cool in the oven, do not pull it out into your house or outside where its damp (Florida). Once that's done, and you go over all the seals to make sure all is good, covers, bulbs, connectors are tight re-install and no more moisture . . . . for now.
is it true that to remove the headlight you must remove the bumper - thats what I have heard
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
is it true that to remove the headlight you must remove the bumper - thats what I have heard
Yes, the bumper is covering a few torx screws.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Yes, the bumper is covering a few torx screws.
then removing the headlights is not an option, I will have to try some of the smaller scale suggestions
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

removed the bulbs and open the cover of the angel eye bulb, and use a hair dryer on low heat high fan speed for a while, there no set time just keep going till you see the vapor go away. Still need to check the vent, then make sure to do it in a controlled environment if possible, like a a/c garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #19
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
removed the bulbs and open the cover of the angel eye bulb, and use a hair dryer on low heat high fan speed for a while, there no set time just keep going till you see the vapor go away. Still need to check the vent, then make sure to do it in a controlled environment if possible, like a a/c garage.
Yeah, this is your best bet and is actually really simple.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

Move to Nevada. Simple.... just kidding. The hair dryer technique probably the best and make sure the little rubber hose vents aren't plugged.
Maint: Walnut blast 101k, Trans/T-case Fluid 103k, OFHG 195k
Appreciate 0