BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Purchase the E92 M3 in June or wait for the F82 M4?
E92 M3 with V8 156 84.32%
F82 M4 with V6 twin turbo 29 15.68%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #45
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
when the F8X M3/M4 comes out, u might want to wait for the generation after that...or the one after that, so on and so forth
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #46
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccut View Post
I would definitely go with a 3 year lease on the E92 M3 I'm doing just that... If I don't like the next m3/4 as much then I'll buy the car at the end of the 3 years. Experience the last ///M V8 blah blah it's all true. DO IT!
haha. I'll probably decide right before production stops. I rather invest my money elsewhere at this point, so I'll see in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #47
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
when the F8X M3/M4 comes out, u might want to wait for the generation after that...or the one after that, so on and so forth
It's not that I want to wait or anything, I just want to get people's opinions on V8 on the current gen vs future gen's v6. I honestly was not planning on getting an M3 for about another 3-5 years, but as soon as I heard rumors of the V6, I suddenly got worried. I love the E92 M3 and would take it now, but I just want to see how everything goes in terms of my life (worth putting that money into an M3 for me at this stage of my life or spend on something else?).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #48
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Just my opinion -

If you're extremely happy with your e92 328, stick with it. The 3 series is a great car, and if you're happy with the 328, you may not really need the v8 in the e92 M3, it all depends on what you get out of the car. For sure, the F8x M will be better performance, and better in some ways, but worse in others. You may prefer the new technology and presumably increased torque in the turbo V6 - I loved the updated iDrive coming from an E46, when the F8x comes out it will inevitably make the E92 tech feel dated. The V8 is a special engine and that is why I bought my e92 and why I'm keeping it for several years, but it's not for everyone. I've never been satisfied driving any regular 3 series (although they are great cars) and the M3 is it for me. The M has a harsher ride, is obviously much more expensive, and most importantly, requires being driven hard to really be appreciated.

Just some food for thought...certainly the E92 M3 is a great car and the engine is a gem, but if you're not going to be near 8000rpm very often, you'll kind of be missing the whole point of paying so much money to switch from your 328.
      10-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #49
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
Just my opinion -

If you're extremely happy with your e92 328, stick with it. The 3 series is a great car, and if you're happy with the 328, you may not really need the v8 in the e92 M3, it all depends on what you get out of the car. For sure, the F8x M will be better performance, and better in some ways, but worse in others. You may prefer the new technology and presumably increased torque in the turbo V6 - I loved the updated iDrive coming from an E46, when the F8x comes out it will inevitably make the E92 tech feel dated. The V8 is a special engine and that is why I bought my e92 and why I'm keeping it for several years, but it's not for everyone. I've never been satisfied driving any regular 3 series (although they are great cars) and the M3 is it for me. The M has a harsher ride, is obviously much more expensive, and most importantly, requires being driven hard to really be appreciated.

Just some food for thought...certainly the E92 M3 is a great car and the engine is a gem, but if you're not going to be near 8000rpm very often, you'll kind of be missing the whole point of paying so much money to switch from your 328.
Very nice write up. Thanks.

In terms of tech, I agree with you 100%. I will want to have the updated iDrive, speakers, little luxury additions, etc. That is all very important to me.

I drive my 328 as my only car for everything. I don't really race or go to race tracks (I will occasionally have some fun in closed areas), although I do enjoy driving at high speeds and feeling the precision of BMW's handling when I drive; naturally, I drive in sport mode over 90% of the time in my 328 because I think it's a major difference and makes the driving more fun. In terms of the V8, what makes it so unique? Is it just because the V8 adds a certain feel to the drive (the harsh drive you were describing)? Or is there something more to it?

The 328 I have now is my first BMW and fastest and strongest car I have ever had. I think I'd be rushing too fast if I were to get the M3 now, as I have mentioned before. I have never driven an M3, so I don't really know how to compare it, but from what I have heard and read the difference is immense, obviously. Again, my only concern/worry is that in terms of driving I will miss out (not luxury).

But then again if I really want a V8 in a coupé form within the same range as the M3 I can always get... ?

EDIT: Also, are you suggesting I buy the 328 if I am happy with it at the end of the lease? Is it possible to just extend the lease?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #50
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

im selling mine atm 7000~8000 miles
had every option minus enhanced premium sound. and has moonroof instead of cf roof.
dinan powerchip, limited slip differential, stage 3 suspension, meisterschaft gts
i forget ive been in europe for a while now. cars back in the states.
space grey though

planning on 2013 gtr or new 911 when i get back next year
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #51
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

I have a feeling the F82 M4 is going to be similar to the 650i m-sport coupe looks wise... just imagine more M tweaks to it and shadowline trim, but in smaller package... I would definitely wait it out and save your money.. If the M4 fails to meet your expectations, you will definitely be able to get your hands on a low-mileage E92 M3 spec'd out to your desire from those that jumped to the M4... Now if your itching for the V8 just freaking go for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #52
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn. View Post
im selling mine atm 7000~8000 miles
had every option minus enhanced premium sound. and has moonroof instead of cf roof.
dinan powerchip, limited slip differential, stage 3 suspension, meisterschaft gts
i forget ive been in europe for a while now. cars back in the states.
space grey though

planning on 2013 gtr or new 911 when i get back next year
Not interested. Thanks for offer though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #53
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m balla View Post
I have a feeling the F82 M4 is going to be similar to the 650i m-sport coupe looks wise... just imagine more M tweaks to it and shadowline trim, but in smaller package... I would definitely wait it out and save your money.. If the M4 fails to meet your expectations, you will definitely be able to get your hands on a low-mileage E92 M3 spec'd out to your desire from those that jumped to the M4... Now if your itching for the V8 just freaking go for it!
I'm not really dying for the V8, I just want to know if there is a huge diff between V8 and V6.

EDIT:
A lot of it has to do with design for me too, not so much power now that I think of it.
I would rather put my money into what is more attractive looking. I don't like the squared off angel eyes in the new 6 series and hope the next gen M3 won't have it, although it probably will.
I want the beautiful stock circle ones that I have now

Last edited by pn_e92; 10-07-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #54
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parham2652 View Post
I know it will be amazing if I do it. I have seen many pictures from other members. But would it be worth it financially on a lease? I would definitely do ED if I knew for sure that I would be buying the car.
It would be worth it from the experience point of view, what I mean here to drive in Germany and to experience the magic of the BMW facility "Die Welt, the Factory and the Museum" On the other hand if you lease a BMW you be best off to a) find one at a dealership so you do not have to wait for re-delivery after a ED. and b) do the German tour, however, rent a car or get a German RailPass combined with a car rental at major rail stations.

UPDATE; Since the date i've posted here in this thread I've changed my mind about a ED delivery for the following reasons; a) hate to wait 2 to 3 months, b) have done the Germany factory / museum tour in 2009 and c) found the 2012 M3 at a dealership just what I was looking for and purchased the car took delivery 1 week after purchase.

My next trip to Germany will be by RailPass due to the extremely high fuel prices in Europe. My M3 will be parked safely in my garage while I take that trip, this way I've got no worries about small streets in Italy and worries about where I park my car

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #55
JZBDCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

This debate will go on forever. Unless you're super addicted to the newest, shiniest toy then get it now. Life is about having the least amount of "shoulda, coulda, woulda" regrets. screw that.
2012 BMW M3 Coupe JZB/Fox Red DCT ZCP. Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber CSL Boot Lid. Paint Match Grills, Side markers, Reflectors. Carbon Fiber Splitters. Lux Angel Eyes. Custom Rear Section Exhaust with valves. Next mod: Valentine 1
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #56
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

There is nothing really special about this v8 necessarily but rather it is a pretty special engine in general. The cool qualities of a v8 are pretty much matched by turbo technology in providing huge flat torque curves so nothing is really special about a v8 anymore.

I think this engine is as special as the last s54 engine, which is a NA, high revving 8000k plus rpm engine that makes no torque or power down low and has to be revved to get power.

I personally had wanted to experience a "race car" like engine/power delivery once in my life and really wanted to try out the m3 largely for that as well as really liking the looks etc. However you can pretty much enjoy the same experience with your 328 which is similar in power deliver to the s65 or s54, meaning NA, power at the peak rpms. So if you are not really aching to experience that and you are ok waiting than I would wait. Otherwise it is the last chance to get a 8400 rpms engine brand new anyway from almost any car maker aside from lambo and ferrari
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #57
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I personally had wanted to experience a "race car" like engine/power delivery once in my life and really wanted to try out the m3 largely for that as well as really liking the looks etc. However you can pretty much enjoy the same experience with your 328 which is similar in power deliver to the s65 or s54, meaning NA, power at the peak rpms. So if you are not really aching to experience that and you are ok waiting than I would wait. Otherwise it is the last chance to get a 8400 rpms engine brand new anyway from almost any car maker aside from lambo and ferrari
The 328i engine has nothing in common with the s65 at all. No more in common than a camry engine, accord engine, or any other N/A engine.

Crazy comparison.

The biggest thing I noticed when reading through this thread is that the OP has never driven an M3. How can you know if you like it if you dont drive it?

Drive the car, see how you feel, and go from there.

Personally, I liked the styling, feel, interior and handling of the car a lot, and those are the main reasons I bought it. It really isnt a super fast car, but its a fun car to drive fast and matched with a 6mt, its a fun challenge to keep it on the boil

I will probably buy the new generation m3 with the turbo motor in 4 years or so. I personally think that the power deliver of a turbo is awesome and will be great in the m3
      12-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #58
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
The 328i engine has nothing in common with the s65 at all. No more in common than a camry engine, accord engine, or any other N/A engine.

Crazy comparison.

The biggest thing I noticed when reading through this thread is that the OP has never driven an M3. How can you know if you like it if you dont drive it?

Drive the car, see how you feel, and go from there.

Personally, I liked the styling, feel, interior and handling of the car a lot, and those are the main reasons I bought it. It really isnt a super fast car, but its a fun car to drive fast and matched with a 6mt, its a fun challenge to keep it on the boil

I will probably buy the new generation m3 with the turbo motor in 4 years or so. I personally think that the power deliver of a turbo is awesome and will be great in the m3
Clearly you have never driven or know nothing about the n52. It makes its peak power at 6800 rpms with a redline of 7k. It has no low end torque at all and has to be driven at its near peak rpms to stay in the powerband and get anything out of the engine. Replace the numbers on the tach with and 8 instead of a 7 and that is the character of the m3 s65, only with more power.

Go drive one before you say something stupid next time brah
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Clearly you have never driven or know nothing about the n52. It makes its peak power at 6800 rpms with a redline of 7k. It has no low end torque at all and has to be driven at its near peak rpms to stay in the powerband and get anything out of the engine. Replace the numbers on the tach with and 8 instead of a 7 and that is the character of the m3 s65, only with more power.

Go drive one before you say something stupid next time brah
Ok Internet badass, calm down.

I have driven a 328i extensively, had one as a loaner many times. Also owned an e46 m3, so I am willing to bet I have as much if not more experience than you in those engines. I also have much time in a zhp 330.

Regardless of power curve, you cannot compare a 420hp v8 with a 328i. The m3 has much more useable low end tq around town.

Again, I dot see any comparison of a 328i to an m3 in any way other than they are both bmws. As an owner of a 09 sport 335i 6mt, I can tell you that the m and regular 3 series are very different an the only way you can tell if an m3 is for uou is to drive one.

The engines feel nothing alike at all.
      12-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #60
Ateam
Banned
Rep

ok brah
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #61
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

How are people comparing the 328 engine to an m3 engine. That's like comparing 335i engine to a gtr engine. What's the point there isn't one. By the way op I had a 335xi that I leased for 3 years and put 88k miles on it. I have an m3 now and there is no comparison. The only thing similar to the two cars is some cosmetic features and the BMW logo. M3 all the way... But if you wanna hold out and get the new m5 now that's a totally different story lol
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #62
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

BMW is not going to take a step backward. The F82 is doing to be better in many ways especially performance and technology.

If you miss the sound of the V8 I'm sure you wont miss it when you are watching E92s in your rearview...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #63
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Duh. Our V8 is only one of the sweetest motors on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #64
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
BMW is not going to take a step backward. The F82 is doing to be better in many ways especially performance and technology.

If you miss the sound of the V8 I'm sure you wont miss it when you are watching E92s in your rearview...
Really? why would this bother anybody? Do tell!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #65
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

It seems like you've never really been happy with your car from the beginning. What made you buy it in the first place? It looks amazing, but you had to know it wouldn't be faster than a M3 or the 335i.

However, you once posted on the NA section how to make your car equally fast or faster than a 335i and now I see your post here about buying a M3. No offense, but it's like you're always after something better, I don't know if you'll ever really be happy to tell you the truth.

I think if you go out and buy a fully equipped M3 you'll be on the M5 boards within 4 months asking about leasing and financing a M5. Lol. Just my observation.

Last edited by AddictedToBavarian; 12-16-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #66
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
It seems like you've never really been happy with your car from the beginning. What made you buy it in the first place? It looks amazing, but you had to know it wouldn't be faster than a M3 or the 335i.

However, you once posted on the NA section how to make your car equally fast or faster than a M3 and now I see your post here about buying a M3. No offense, but it's like you're always after something better, I don't know if you'll ever really be happy to tell you the truth.

I think if you go out and buy a fully equipped M3 you'll be on the M5 boards within 4 months asking about leasing and financing a M5. Lol. Just my observation.
I don't know if that is true. Like I have said many times, the people that buy a 328 (and 99 percent that buy a 335) do so because they could not afford an m3, so its natural they want the "pinnacle" of the class of car they looked at. I had a 6 banger bmw and wanted the M version. Not to say I did not still really enjoy my car but I lusted after "more" I still lust over more but does not mean you cannot enjoy it.
Appreciate 0