F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Some comments on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport & A/S 3
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool Some comments on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport & A/S 3

After having the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my stock 335i for two years or so, I recently downgraded to the new Pilot Sport A/S 3. Here are some comments after the experience:

Pilot Super Sport
  • If you're interested in a max performance summer tire, there really is no other choice than the PSS... It's much better than the old category leader (the Pilot Sport 2) -- much longer treadlife, much more grip, and lower price. You have to be a complete idiot not to buy it if you were a big fan/user of the PS2 (unless you want to give up perf and save some $).
  • The only real downsides to the PSS are cost and slightly rougher ride compared to its peers. But the grip level is about 5-10% higher, which is astounding.

Pilot Sport A/S 3
  • I downgraded to the A/S 3 because it basically performance the same as the old PS2, Pole Position S-04, etc... so it's really the equivalent of a "pre-PSS" Max Performance tire in many ways...
  • But it's also quieter, less harsh on bumps, has much longer treadlife, and can handle heavy rain and even light snow (though NOT heavy snow)
  • The snow issue is the trick with this tire... basically is a little bit sketchily advertised as an all-season. In the A/S 3 reviews on the web, you'll notice that Michelin didn't show any results on snow.
  • This seems like the no-brainer tire for anyone who wants great (but not peak) performance while balancing other qualities, as long as snow performance is not really needed.
  • I was initially worried whether the A/S 3 could handle the torque of 1st gear (stock) -- it can, with no slip.
  • The other benefit I noticed with the A/S 3 is that you get less feedback from lousy road surfaces... feedback is great on perfect roads, but if you live in a city with broken/bumpy/uneven roads, it's really nice not to get all that info back, IMHO!

I hope this info is helpful... Time for the other tire manufacturers to step up their game!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

I had pilot sports when they came out for a couple tire changes and then switched to A/S the past two tire changes (experiences from the past 10+ years) and I love the shoulder season option with the A/S. Don't have to rush to get the snows on in case I forget to book an appointment early. I also get my summer wheels on earlier using A/S.

I'm sure the same applies to the new generation of PSS and A/S 3. spot on review from previous generations of Michelins
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Pilot Sport A/S 3
  • I downgraded to the A/S 3 because it basically performance the same as the old PS2, Pole Position S-04, etc... so it's really the equivalent of a "pre-PSS" Max Performance tire in many ways...
  • But it's also quieter, less harsh on bumps, has much longer treadlife, and can handle heavy rain and even light snow (though NOT heavy snow)
  • The snow issue is the trick with this tire... basically is a little bit sketchily advertised as an all-season. In the A/S 3 reviews on the web, you'll notice that Michelin didn't show any results on snow.
  • This seems like the no-brainer tire for anyone who wants great (but not peak) performance while balancing other qualities, as long as snow performance is not really needed.
  • I was initially worried whether the A/S 3 could handle the torque of 1st gear (stock) -- it can, with no slip.
  • The other benefit I noticed with the A/S 3 is that you get less feedback from lousy road surfaces... feedback is great on perfect roads, but if you live in a city with broken/bumpy/uneven roads, it's really nice not to get all that info back, IMHO!
I agree 100%

The tires are excellent on wet and dry roads - at any temperature. They really feel like summer tires in terms of grip, feedback and steering response.
In very light snow/slush, I was surprised at how good the tires were - but in a couple inches of snow, I was shocked at how bad the tires were!

Last edited by DVC; 12-20-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I agree 100%

The tires are excellent on wet and dry roads - at any temperature. They really feels like summer tires in terms of grip, feedback and steering response.
In very light snow/slush, I was surprised at how good the tires were - but in a couple inches of snow, I was shocked at how bad the tires were!
My thoughts exactly. Great, high performance tire. Although I will say when it is cold, like 205* and lower and the pavement is dry they'll spin pretty easy in 1st and 2nd. They still corner really nice but straight line WOT runs still cause my DSC light to blink. Not a huge concern and can even add a little fun when I am in Sport+ with DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 02:51 AM   #5
billie34
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
After having the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my stock 335i for two years or so, I recently downgraded to the new Pilot Sport A/S 3. Here are some comments after the experience:

Pilot Super Sport
  • If you're interested in a max performance summer tire, there really is no other choice than the PSS... It's much better than the old category leader (the Pilot Sport 2) -- much longer treadlife, much more grip, and lower price. You have to be a complete idiot not to buy it if you were a big fan/user of the PS2 (unless you want to give up perf and save some $).
  • The only real downsides to the phoodle PSS are cost and slightly rougher ride compared to its peers. But the grip level is about 5-10% higher, which is astounding.
Pilot Sport A/S 3

I hope this info is helpful... Time for the other tire manufacturers to step up their game!
Thank you for providing this information. I really like this new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 03:07 AM   #6
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie34 View Post
Thank you for providing this information. I really like this new car.
You sound like a bot or potential spammer-in-waiting, but if you're not, you may want to know that both of these tires have been replaced by new versions in the NINE YEARS since this info was posted!
Appreciate 2