E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgrades to support tune

04-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Upgrades to support tune

Having a tune is really fun. The car feels alive and the feeling in my gut during hard acceleration is like the entire shaft and realizing there's room for the balls too. I've recently blown my charge pipe and planning on upgrading it with an aluminum fixture.

As higher boost levels are introduced into the turbo system, what are some of the other components in the that are known to fail? I don't plan on going past Stage 1 aggressive on Cobb AP 2 - likely to stay Stage 1 sport for DD. If I upgrade the charge pipe (no BOV or upgraded DV), can I boost around relatively carefree of anything else exploding in my engine?

I really hate limping around like a prius with 4 fatties crammed in the cabin on a hot summer's day going uphill.

Last edited by mister wiggles; 04-04-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Upgrade your dvs along w the charge pipe, that would be next to go.

Also get a fmic, you won't regret it.
      04-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Catless Downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

charge pipe, and blow off valve first, then downpipes. Then FMIC.

And btw good jokes lol!
      04-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
Why not Stage 1 Aggressive for DD? There's no difference besides WOT. Charge pipe and DVs or BOV would probably be next. Then downpipes for more power or FMIC for more constant power. Your call.
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Upgrade your dvs along w the charge pipe, that would be next to go.

Also get a fmic, you won't regret it.
The stock dv's should hold up fine. The only reason I see to upgrade is for better boost pressure. As long as things to break, I don't see a reason to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
charge pipe, and blow off valve first, then downpipes. Then FMIC.

And btw good jokes lol!
Are the downpipes known to fail? I understand this as a "more power" mod. I like the stock design of the DV back into the intake. If the car was pushing more boost maybe a BOV would be desirable. Not a fan of the car reminding me I've shifted gears each time by playing a whooshing note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEninety335 View Post
Why not Stage 1 Aggressive for DD? There's no difference besides WOT. Charge pipe and DVs or BOV would probably be next. Then downpipes for more power or FMIC for more constant power. Your call.
Aggressive mode makes me anxious to race anything that pulls up besides me. It's like running on a treadmill at a 7.5 pace and someone gets on next to you and starts going running at 8.2 pace...9.0 it is bitch. I also find fuel economy is marginally better running drive/sport maps.

Last edited by mister wiggles; 04-04-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I would not recommend downpipes to someone who is staying conservative with their vehicle plus he already said he is not going past stage 1. Stage 2 would require downpipes.

Change the charge pipe and get an FMIC. The car will run a lot happier with an FMIC and you can run Stage 1 + FMIC map (arguably more powerful then stage 2 alone with no FMIC).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
I would not recommend downpipes to someone who is staying conservative with their vehicle plus he already said he is not going past stage 1. Stage 2 would require downpipes.

Change the charge pipe and get an FMIC. The car will run a lot happier with an FMIC and you can run Stage 1 + FMIC map (arguably more powerful then stage 2 alone with no FMIC).
+1.

Also, on 'drive' map your bumping boost from 8psi max to 14-16 I believe. The stock dv's weren't meant to handle that much boost, if you take a look at them when apart you'd wonder how they even hold stock boost levels.
      04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
+1.

Also, on 'drive' map your bumping boost from 8psi max to 14-16 I believe. The stock dv's weren't meant to handle that much boost, if you take a look at them when apart you'd wonder how they even hold stock boost levels.
Yeah, I just got the Roc-Euro Hyperboost DVs and called it a day. I don't like BOV and wanted to keep it conservative as well. Forge DVs are good as well. I think it is more a precautionary mod than anything else but they are known to fail with more boost.
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Q1: Is there any literature that states boost ranges for different maps?

ie
Stock 0-8psi
Cobb Stage 1 Drive 0-12psi
Cobb Stage 1 Sport...
Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive...
Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC...
etc...

I'm sure one for JB4 maps would be useful too - just not to me because I chose the blue pill instead of the red.

Q2: Does anyone know if the Dinan tunes changes out any other factory parts or is it purely a tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No lit that I'm aware of.

I made a mistake above, meant to say that stage 1+ sport was makin 16psi, stage 1+ drive making up to 13.
      04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles View Post
Q1: Is there any literature that states boost ranges for different maps?

ie
Stock 0-8psi
Cobb Stage 1 Drive 0-12psi
Cobb Stage 1 Sport...
Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive...
Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC...
etc...

I'm sure one for JB4 maps would be useful too - just not to me because I chose the blue pill instead of the red.

Q2: Does anyone know if the Dinan tunes changes out any other factory parts or is it purely a tune?

Go on Cobb's website. Hit the maps tab.
Select your car/ecu and the requirements are there.
      04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _shim View Post
Go on Cobb's website. Hit the maps tab.
Select your car/ecu and the requirements are there.
Believe it or not, I checked the most obvious place to see if my question could be answered. The Cobb site tells you the power increase for each map identified by "nice bump, healthy increase, maximum power" - nothing specific.

That's like asking how big are the sandwiches and getting a response "about this big, thiiiiis big, and thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat big."

6in, 8in, 12in i can relate.

I guess I could call the kind folks at Cobb and ask about their sandwiches.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Having a tune is really fun. The car feels alive and the feeling in my gut during hard acceleration is like the entire shaft and realizing there's room for the balls too. I've recently blown my charge pipe and planning on upgrading it with an aluminum fixture.

As higher boost levels are introduced into the turbo system, what are some of the other components in the that are known to fail? I don't plan on going past Stage 1 aggressive on Cobb AP 2 - likely to stay Stage 1 sport for DD. If I upgrade the charge pipe (no BOV or upgraded DV), can I boost around relatively carefree of anything else exploding in my engine?

I really hate limping around like a prius with 4 fatties crammed in the cabin on a hot summer's day going uphill.
I just died.

FMIC and DCI will provide safety and make things easier on the engine and turbos at virtually all times.

Downpipes will make things easier on the engine and turbos, but only if you do not increase power output. If you increase power output with downpipes, the engine will be stressed similar to before, but the turbos will be working harder. Also, emissions are shady.

Careful with the balls.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait
Quote:

I just died.

FMIC and DCI will provide safety and make things easier on the engine and turbos at virtually all times.

Downpipes will make things easier on the engine and turbos, but only if you do not increase power output. If you increase power output with downpipes, the engine will be stressed similar to before, but the turbos will be working harder. Also, emissions are shady.

Careful with the balls.
And queue the DCI trolling in 3...2...1...
      04-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Looks like everyone that upgrades their chargepipes attaches a whistle to them. Might have to get a new one. :/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #17
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles
Quote:

Looks like everyone that upgrades their chargepipes attaches a whistle to them. Might have to get a new one. :/
Lmao!!!

It's strange....This forum really let me down this time...At even the slightest mention of dci's, all hell usually breaks loose and the trolls come out of their dens....
      04-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #18
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
The best upgrade for a tuned 335i is a wallet upgrade.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Lmao!!!

It's strange....This forum really let me down this time...At even the slightest mention of dci's, all hell usually breaks loose and the trolls come out of their dens....
Did I miss something? I usually only post on this particular forum when I'm drinking/drunk...
Appreciate 0