F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Can't trust Jack - Man killed while working on car
proTUNING Freaks

11-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The jackstand didn't fail, the user of the jackstand failed.

I've posted this a million times. Always, ALWAYS, lift the car and place it on 4 jackstands, one at each lifting point on the side skirts. When the car is in the air with all four tires off the ground it cannot roll off the stands. Spend a little bit of money and by a high quality jack (one with a long saddle to reach the center jack points) and a set of 4 high quality jack stands that properly fit the lift points (i.e. a flat top stand vs. an axle-type stand).

Not having the details of this story, I'd bet the guy had the car on one stand, a stand of questionable quality. There was probably some side-load on the stand (rather than all the weight placed on top) and it failed because it was dealing with a side-load force it was not designed to support.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #46
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
This is something I fear and the reason why I won't be DIY things that require lifting the car up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor3 View Post
damn that is sad man. i am scared to go back under my car now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Same goes for me.
I think it's kind of sad that stories like this, are the reason people don't want to get under their car and do their own work. Shit happens, so how do you prevent it? Safety precautions. Go around and rock the car while on the stands if you are that uncertain, it will drop if a stand is not locked.

But rather, lets not work on our car because it might magically crush you.

Call me old school, but someone elses ignorance is not going to make me fear my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #47
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

If I am under the car, I always take a wheel off and place it under the car as well, that way if the stand fails or the car falls of the stand somehow, the wheel will hopefully give me clearance to get out...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #48
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
If I am under the car, I always take a wheel off and place it under the car as well, that way if the stand fails or the car falls of the stand somehow, the wheel will hopefully give me clearance to get out...
This^^

Rather lose a wheel than a limb or my life...
Appreciate 0