F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Mini Cooper unveiled
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
New Mini Cooper unveiled

It's hard to tell the difference between this and the old one, but the new technology in the car is impressive. I didn't expect it to get features such as HUD and full LED headlights at all. The 2 series doesn't even get that.. I'm disappointed with the interior though. It looks too similar to the cartoonish appearance of its predecessor.

New Mini gets a more angled bonnet and windscreen, while the headlights are now less pronounced than before.

Riding on BMW’s UKL1 platform, which is set to underpin a number of BMW’s upcoming compact FWD models, the new Mini will be larger than the model it replaces.

The new car is palpably larger than its predecessor

The new Mini has been officially unveiled

BMW's new UKL1 platform underpins the car

Familiar circle-shaped cabin elements remain

Quote:
The new car is palpably larger than its predecessor
The new Mini was officially unveiled in London last night ushering in a host of new design elements and drivetrain features.

The exterior design is vastly different than before and incorporates such features as an hexagonal radiator grille, headlamps and rear light clusters with wide chrome surround, a more angled bonnet and windscreen and circular daytime running lights surrounding the headlights. Full-LED headlamps will be offered as an option.

The new car’s cabin carries over a number of aesthetic cues from that of the outgoing model with circular facia elements in abundance. The most obvious changes stem from addressing some of the previous car’s ergonomic quirks. The centre of the facia is no longer occupied by a large speedometer and the windows get the conventional buttons on the doors instead of the previous car’s retro flip switches on the centre console.

New Mini rides on BMW’s UKL1 platform, which is set to underpin a number of BMW’s upcoming compact FWD models. This vehicle has grown longer by 98 mm, wider by 44 mm, taller by 7 mm and has a wheelbase that’s 28 mm longer than that of its predecessor. The company claims that overall interior space has increased and boot space has grown from 184 to 211 dm3.

The company has used the launch of the new Mini to introduce a range of new engines with TwinPower (turbocharging and direct fuel injection) technology. The standard Cooper comes fitted with a 100 kW 3-cylinder petrol engine, while the Cooper S is powered by a 141 kW 4-cylinder unit and the Cooper D with a 3-cylinder diesel that pushes out 85 kW and a fuel consumption figure of around 3,6 litres/100 km. The default transmission is a six-speed manual with an auto ‘box or a sports auto ‘box with paddle shifters offered on certain models as an option.

To retain, and hopefully improve upon, that fun go-kart-like handing for which the Mini has always been loved, the company has revised the existing suspension set-up to compensate for the new car’s increased power and body rigidity, as well as its lower kerb weight. The new suspension tech includes single-joint spring strut axle with aluminium swivel bearing and axle supports and a new multilink rear axle. Also helping with handling and dynamics is the electromechanical power steering with Servotronic as standard and dynamic stability control with traction control and electronic differential lock control. There’s also the option of an adaptive damper control system with two settings – sport and comfort.

There is a range of driver assistance systems available as options on the new Mini. This includes head-up display, driving assistant including camera-based active cruise control, collision and pedestrian warning with initial brake function, high-beam assistant and road sign detection, parking assistant and a rear view camera.

The new Mini will arrive in SA early in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
For 293 more official photos, go to http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/201...-familiar.html
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

So that diesel will get 65 miles per gallon?! Hyrbid shprybrid.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

man i loved that the center speedometer, sad it went away : (.
      11-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
lust4bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i XDrive Sport pkg

uhmm looks strange.. hope it will be able to compete in this though car market of today sales are virtually down across the board...competition is really harsh and the disappearing of the middle class..sad times in the automotive world to come..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
So that diesel will get 65 miles per gallon?! Hyrbid shprybrid.
UK MPG or US MPG?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
UK MPG or US MPG?
Good point. I'd guess UK... not sure what that is in US.

/Edit/ Looks like 54 MPG U.S.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
rayg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Nice interior...it still seems like a female orientated car to me though.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

This doesn't interest me, I'm waiting on the new Clubman, it looks like it will be the best looking MINI of the new generation.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
NBT navigation?
      11-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
This doesn't interest me, I'm waiting on the new Clubman, it looks like it will be the best looking MINI of the new generation.
I think you're right. It does look good.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

I loved the old Cooper S, I think I'll need to check the new S/JCW out as well...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Okay, the new Min and the new FWD Bimmers are to share a platform. How about sharing some dealerships as well?
I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase, but the only dealer is buried in-town in Pittsburgh, which is just a giant PITA for service.
Since they will be sharing components, why not let them be purchased and maintained at the same shops? Or am I getting all hung up on that 'making sense' thing?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Okay, the new Min and the new FWD Bimmers are to share a platform. How about sharing some dealerships as well?
I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase, but the only dealer is buried in-town in Pittsburgh, which is just a giant PITA for service.
Since they will be sharing components, why not let them be purchased and maintained at the same shops? Or am I getting all hung up on that 'making sense' thing?
Moon

At least 3 BMW Dealerships here in South Florida sell/service MINI as well.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
voigtcjva
Rep
Drives: bmw

I would have been stone serious about a Min as our next purchase
      11-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

as a current mini owner, i hate the exterior but really like the interior. sad to see the middle speedo go...

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Can they still be called Mini's anymore, its becoming like an oxymoron. The majority of Mini's I see in the parking lots are huge.
      11-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Quote:
Moon
I don't see why not either. Here in the UK, all BMW dealers that I know also have a mini dealer either on site or next door!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #19
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
as a current mini owner, i hate the exterior but really like the interior. sad to see the middle speedo go...
Quite the opposite for me hey. What mini do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Can they still be called Mini's anymore, its becoming like an oxymoron. The majority of Mini's I see in the parking lots are huge.
And will continue to growl which is a good thing for some. Once it hits mainstream hatch size a lot more people will consider it

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
I don't see why not either. Here in the UK, all BMW dealers that I know also have a mini dealer either on site or next door!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Moon
It's pretty common in Europe for MINI and BMW to share dealerships. My local BMW dealer isn't an official MINI dealer, but can sell them and they are an official MINI service centre.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
On the Countryman the centre speedo is pointless as there is a digital speedo in the rev counter, I don't think I ever look at the centre speedo, the only person is my wife and she generally makes me slow down. So I'm happy to see it go. The interior quality appears to have made a big improvement, the current MINI interiors are not good enough for a premium priced product.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Appreciate 0