E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Beyond Frustrated. Just got my OneStopElectronics Cable, need help getting set up plz

03-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Exclamation Beyond Frustrated. Just got my OneStopElectronics Cable, need help getting set up plz

Okay let me start by saying I am just now making a new post after fighting with this for the last day and a half (on & off).

I bought the cable so I could do my own diagnostic work as well as code a few basic things (digital speedometer, TPMS disable, reset brake pad sensor warnings (mine are stuck reading "----"....) etc.

Car is:
2007 335i Coupe with sport package, navigation package (12/2006 build date)
gf has 2008 323i Sedan

Computers are:
2009 Macbook with latest version of VMWare running a clean install of Windows XP SP3

? Acer Aspire 3000 laptop running a clean install of Windows XP SP3

I cannot get either computer to cooperate. Here is what I have tried so far...

Firstly I found a BMW CODING PACK (~122MB) with the .rar password "*********pack05202013" as I'm sure a number of people on these boards are familiar with.

I installed it all following the directions the Macbook computer, when trying to use INPA to read codes I received the errors you see in photo 1 & 2....

Confused, I found copies of the 50.2 daten files for e89 (~11GB) so I used the BMW coding tool that the BMW CODING PACK came with to update my daten files (cable not connected to car..)... After the program copied all the files around for me. I still received the same errors......

After this I gave up on this route and uninstalled everything I had done on the Windows XP SP3 running on my Macbook and opted to try this next...:

On the Acer laptop I was following this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918608

I got to step 4 and sub-step 4 and when I press continue after selecting BMW Group Rectification programs UK I get the error messages you see in photo 3 and 4.

Now I am extremely frustrated, I have never had a harder time researching something and following DIYs to get it to work, and I am very tech savvy (have built several websites, build computers etc.) But for some reason I just cannot get this whole BMW INPA/NCSExpert etc. stuff figured out.

Is there a newer version of a DIY I should be following? Why is the information for how to get this stuff to work so spotty and the programs so hard to find.

At this point I would love for someone to just remote connect to my laptop/macbook and help me get the programs set up because clearly I'm struggling and I don't know what else to try now.

Can someone please point me in the right direction/help/anything is appreciated, thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Here's the video I watched to get everything setup (Fairly everything) in Windows.. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

Start with an install from scratch. Don't have re-download the software. keep install files and uninstall whats already on there.
      03-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opo View Post
Okay let me start by saying I am just now making a new post after fighting with this for the last day and a half (on & off).

I bought the cable so I could do my own diagnostic work as well as code a few basic things (digital speedometer, TPMS disable, reset brake pad sensor warnings (mine are stuck reading "----"....) etc.

Car is:
2007 335i Coupe with sport package, navigation package (12/2006 build date)
gf has 2008 323i Sedan

Computers are:
2009 Macbook with latest version of VMWare running a clean install of Windows XP SP3

? Acer Aspire 3000 laptop running a clean install of Windows XP SP3

I cannot get either computer to cooperate. Here is what I have tried so far...

Firstly I found a BMW CODING PACK (~122MB) with the .rar password "*********pack05202013" as I'm sure a number of people on these boards are familiar with.

I installed it all following the directions the Macbook computer, when trying to use INPA to read codes I received the errors you see in photo 1 & 2....

Confused, I found copies of the 50.2 daten files for e89 (~11GB) so I used the BMW coding tool that the BMW CODING PACK came with to update my daten files (cable not connected to car..)... After the program copied all the files around for me. I still received the same errors......

After this I gave up on this route and uninstalled everything I had done on the Windows XP SP3 running on my Macbook and opted to try this next...:

On the Acer laptop I was following this thread:

I got to step 4 and sub-step 4 and when I press continue after selecting BMW Group Rectification programs UK I get the error messages you see in photo 3 and 4.

Now I am extremely frustrated, I have never had a harder time researching something and following DIYs to get it to work, and I am very tech savvy (have built several websites, build computers etc.) But for some reason I just cannot get this whole BMW INPA/NCSExpert etc. stuff figured out.

Is there a newer version of a DIY I should be following? Why is the information for how to get this stuff to work so spotty and the programs so hard to find.

At this point I would love for someone to just remote connect to my laptop/macbook and help me get the programs set up because clearly I'm struggling and I don't know what else to try now.

Can someone please point me in the right direction/help/anything is appreciated, thank you.
This is likely caused by the old (circa Windows 95) InstallShield 5.50.126.0 (SETUP.EXE) that had issues with long filenames.

After extracting '350517-inpa k+can.rar' , copy the inpa folder to the root of your C: drive. (i.e. C:\)

Copy the EC-APPS folder from C:\inpa\01_Step1 to the root of your C: drive as outlined in step 2 of the installation guide.

Finally, run SETUP.EXE from C:\inpa\01_Step1\NFS\Entpackt\disk1. This should solve your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys I finally managed to get INPA working so far by following some more of the steps from the Video Guide. The only missing part was I had to grab the SGDAT folder from Rich's/BMW..'s tutorial and place it accordingly.

808AWD325xi - you are clearly a very knowledgeable individual, your tutorial combo'd with Rich's/BMW..'s has let me start to get things working. Thank you for taking the time to put that together and help others!

Now I've gotta dig in and figure out how to disable my TPMS, reset my brake sensor warnings (they're stuck reading "-----"), and enable my digital speedometer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys I finally managed to get INPA working so far by following some more of the steps from the Video Guide. The only missing part was I had to grab the SGDAT folder from Rich's/BMW..'s tutorial and place it accordingly.

808AWD325xi - you are clearly a very knowledgeable individual, your tutorial combo'd with Rich's/BMW..'s has let me start to get things working. Thank you for taking the time to put that together and help others!

Now I've gotta dig in and figure out how to disable my TPMS, reset my brake sensor warnings (they're stuck reading "-----"), and enable my digital speedometer.
Your welcome, glad to know you got it working!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exclamation

Okay so I've still been fighting with my cable & my set up but I wanted to post this here just so people searching have another resource to find links from:

Its still unbelievable to me how scattered the resources are for coding and how spotty the available information is....

This thread has been the most helpful to me thus far, although I'm still struggling to get things working 100%:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

The download link is on page 8 of that thread here, post #166:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=859474&page=8

password to open the .rar file is "E90" make sure you read the first post thoroughly as it includes an extra note not outlined in the video for proper setup.

Here is a link to some newer version SP DATEN files than whats included in the above link should you want/need them:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882353

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the update on my struggle...

Okay so I tried to reset my brake sensors using the directions found here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ng-tool32.html

I tried it by loading both the DSC_87.PRG file or the DSC_89.PRG file given that my car is an e92 and that website is for e60's. but neither way worked....

Is there another way of doing it with Tool32? what am I doing wrong?

Also, my INPA is still not working. When I try to reset my brake sensors with INPA following these directions:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953724

I get the attached error from INPA when I try to access the DSC module.... group file error.

Help please, I've had my cable for almost 2 weeks now and haven't been able to do a single thing with it other than read codes with INPA.

I just want to do:
-reset brake sensors - as they're both currently stuck at reading "----"
-disable TPMS (my winter wheels don't have sensors in them, my summer wheels do... sick of the light being on my dash when I have my winter set on)
-enable digital speedometer

Any help that can be provided, is greatly appreciated. I have also decided to dedicate myself to helping others on these forums find the resources needed to do coding as there still seems to be a lot of various/scattered and extremely outdated information out there. and its very frustrating when trying to get set up for the first time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Opo; 03-16-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Okay so I've still been fighting with my cable & my set up but I wanted to post this here just so people searching have another resource to find links from:

Its still unbelievable to me how scattered the resources are for coding and how spotty the available information is....

This thread has been the most helpful to me thus far, although I'm still struggling to get things working 100%:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

The download link is on page 8 of that thread here, post #166:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=859474&page=8

password to open the .rar file is "E90" make sure you read the first post thoroughly as it includes an extra note not outlined in the video for proper setup.

Here is a link to some newer version SP DATEN files than whats included in the above link should you want/need them:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882353

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the update on my struggle...

Okay so I tried to reset my brake sensors using the directions found here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ng-tool32.html

I tried it by loading both the DSC_87.PRG file or the DSC_89.PRG file given that my car is an e92 and that website is for e60's. but neither way worked....

Is there another way of doing it with Tool32? what am I doing wrong?

Also, my INPA is still not working. When I try to reset my brake sensors with INPA following these directions:

I get the attached error from INPA when I try to access the DSC module.... group file error.

Help please, I've had my cable for almost 2 weeks now and haven't been able to do a single thing with it other than read codes with INPA.

I just want to do:
-reset brake sensors - as they're both currently stuck at reading "----"
-disable TPMS (my winter wheels don't have sensors in them, my summer wheels do... sick of the light being on my dash when I have my winter set on)
-enable digital speedometer

Any help that can be provided, is greatly appreciated. I have also decided to dedicate myself to helping others on these forums find the resources needed to do coding as there still seems to be a lot of various/scattered and extremely outdated information out there. and its very frustrating when trying to get set up for the first time.
With regards to your INPA issue, INPA cannot locate the group files in the C:\EDIABAS\ECU folder. INPA needs the group files to identify modules.

Copy the group files (*.GRP) from the SP Daten ECU folder to C:\EDIABAS\ECU.

I suggest learning to manually integrate the SP Daten files yourself rather than relying upon a third-party application like BMW Coding Tool.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay so I got past the group file error I was getting in my previous post. Turns out I was just being stupid and had forgotten to disable my JB4 chip before attempting to access the DSC module. Once I set it to map 0 (disabled) I was able to access the DSC module okay (with an error still...coming up..) and view more stuff.

I was even able to get the infamous air bag status check to work outlined in the NCS_DIY.pdf

Now, I am trying to reset my brake sensors using this method:

when I do the final step to reset CBS FA it says values have been reset but it does not reset the brake sensors properly after all...

I have tried this method with both the v48.1 SP DATEN and v50.2 SP DATEN loaded, neither one worked.

I think it may be related to the attached error I am getting when I enter the DSC module. What is odd is the error is exactly the same whether I'm running v48.1 or v50.2.....

Is there a way to fix this, or is this not the right way to reset the brake sensors? Is there another way?

Seems crazy to me that something as simple as this is so difficult to get to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Okay so I got past the group file error I was getting in my previous post. Turns out I was just being stupid and had forgotten to disable my JB4 chip before attempting to access the DSC module. Once I set it to map 0 (disabled) I was able to access the DSC module okay (with an error still...coming up..) and view more stuff.

I was even able to get the infamous air bag status check to work outlined in the NCS_DIY.pdf

Now, I am trying to reset my brake sensors using this method:

when I do the final step to reset CBS FA it says values have been reset but it does not reset the brake sensors properly after all...

I have tried this method with both the v48.1 SP DATEN and v50.2 SP DATEN loaded, neither one worked.

I think it may be related to the attached error I am getting when I enter the DSC module. What is odd is the error is exactly the same whether I'm running v48.1 or v50.2.....

Is there a way to fix this, or is this not the right way to reset the brake sensors? Is there another way?

Seems crazy to me that something as simple as this is so difficult to get to work.
INPA 4.0.2 is super old. Softing GmbH released that in 1996. It depended upon EDIABAS 4.1.x and will most likely never work properly with SP Daten 50.2...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exclamation

Thats the weird part because when I click the About... tab in the top left of INPA it says I have version 5.0.6...... (as attached screenshot shows)

So which one is telling the truth? The error message or the About... tab lol..

I am going to uninstall everything and start from scratch following YOUR DIY with the hopes of the end result of me actually being able to have a fully functional INPA.....

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thats the weird part because when I click the About... tab in the top left of INPA it says I have version 5.0.6...... (as attached screenshot shows)

So which one is telling the truth? The error message or the About... tab lol..

I am going to uninstall everything and start from scratch following YOUR DIY with the hopes of the end result of me actually being able to have a fully functional INPA.....

I would tend to believe the About tab.

Once all of the software has been downloaded (some of which take a while to download), it takes about 90 minutes to complete. Make sure that you don't skip any steps. Everything is interdependent because of EDIABAS.

I'm going to work on a Windows XP SP3 version of the DIY now that I got my hands on a XP license. The current DIY is based on Windows 7 x86 (32-bit.) There may be quirks as a result. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exclamation

So I followed your DIY to a T with the exception of the steps that didn't apply to XP SP3 as you've stated.

Everything works still but I am STILL getting an error when opening the DSC module in INPA (attached, the version #'s have changed) and trying to reset my brake sensors using the method I posted previously STILL does not work. The other method using Tool32 still doesn't work either.

Looks like I'll be giving up and just buying new brake sensors.......

Anyways now that I have what is considered to be the most-proper working version of INPA etc. what folders should I back up from my C:/ drive so that if I was to have to reinstall for some reason I could just install BMW Standard Tools 2.12, paste my folders over & overwrite and be on my way again?

The DIY worked but was so manual, takes time and I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So I followed your DIY to a T with the exception of the steps that didn't apply to XP SP3 as you've stated.

Everything works still but I am STILL getting an error when opening the DSC module in INPA (attached, the version #'s have changed) and trying to reset my brake sensors using the method I posted previously STILL does not work. The other method using Tool32 still doesn't work either.

Looks like I'll be giving up and just buying new brake sensors.......

Anyways now that I have what is considered to be the most-proper working version of INPA etc. what folders should I back up from my C:/ drive so that if I was to have to reinstall for some reason I could just install BMW Standard Tools 2.12, paste my folders over & overwrite and be on my way again?

The DIY worked but was so manual, takes time and I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible lol
According to this post, the brake pad sensors need to be replaced before the CBS can be reset:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...82&postcount=8

Version mismatch errors in INPA are to be expected and can be ignored. It's letting you know that the SGBD (Steuergeräte Beschreibungsdatei a.k.a. (*.PRG) ECU description files) located in C:\EDIABAS\ECU\ are newer than anticipated.

In other words, the SP Daten is much newer than INPA.

Backup the following directories (inclusive of their sub-directories) and you'll be all set:
C:\EC-APPS
C:\EDIABAS
C:\NCSEXPER
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeaaaa what happened is my rear brakes are actually low and the sensor triggered the light on my dash, I tried to reset my rear brake sensor on the CBS using the normal odometer button method and I accidentally reset my front sensor, which is brand new and so are the brakes.

Basically both sensors ended up reading "----" after that. Was hoping I could reset them with INPA quickly & easily just to get the light to turn off on my dash until I replace the rear brakes this weekend. I'll just buy new sensors for both then and reset both and should be good to go from there then.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make myself good backup copies of all 3 folders (including everything inside).

Going to move onto coding my digital speedometer, TPMS disable, iDrive disclaimer disable, and seatbelt butler disable now....
Appreciate 0