F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Car camera recommendation?
proTUNING Freaks

02-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Car camera recommendation?

Can anyone advise on a good car camera? Not looking to track the car, just something to record the exhaust tone or capture rolling shots from outside the car. Essentially want something that can cut out wind noise and captures good video and audio while mounted outside the car.

Does gopro hero3 fit the bill or are there better ones around?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

for amateurs, GoPro 2 or 3 is the best out there in terms of bang for the buck.

IMO, the downsides of GoPros are:
1. that it can get quite expensive when you add up all the accessories, and these accessories almost NEVER goes on sale
2. software is pretty shitty. I have a Hero 2 HD, and for some stupid reason, the only way to get the wifi bacpac to update and sync is to use a downgraded version of their desktop software, when you use a Windows 7 PC. The Hero 3 solves this problem as it comes with built-in wifi. I'm not sure if Hero 3 users have had software update issues.

If you want to go cheap, Vivitar offers an option, they also have cheap acesssories online and at Target:
http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-DVR785.../dp/B0093HAQ0K

and for some people (i don't know reasons why), Sony is marketing their new cams hard, for about the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/Action-Video-C...n+cam+hdr-as15

On amazon, there's quite a few comparison reviews of the GoPro 3 vs Sony

One option if you're on a budget, is look for the remaining GoPro Hero 2 HDs. If you're lucky you can find new unopened ones for less than $150.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I have three different cameras with two of them, GoPro 3 Black and Contour Roam, suitable for outside the car. The GoPro is the better camera overall, but the Roam I feel is excellent for outside the car because of it's streamlined profile. It also has a nifty feature that allows you to rotate the lens independent of the camera body. I also use a Canon EOS 5DII inside the car, but way too heavy and expensive to use outside the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
I have three different cameras with two of them, GoPro 3 Black and Contour Roam, suitable for outside the car. The GoPro is the better camera overall, but the Roam I feel is excellent for outside the car because of it's streamlined profile. It also has a nifty feature that allows you to rotate the lens independent of the camera body. I also use a Canon EOS 5DII inside the car, but way too heavy and expensive to use outside the vehicle.
I use my 5d when I want quality video. You just need the right mounting hardware.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
I use my 5d when I want quality video. You just need the right mounting hardware.
Yeah I thought about it, but even with the right mount, it's a lot of money in gear to have road debris pelt it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

1. that it can get quite expensive when you add up all the accessories, and these accessories almost NEVER goes on sale
2. software is pretty shitty. I have a Hero 2 HD, and for some stupid reason, the only way to get the wifi bacpac to update and sync is to use a downgraded version of their desktop software, when you use a Windows 7 PC. The Hero 3 solves this problem as it comes with built-in wifi. I'm not sure if Hero 3 users have had software update issues.

If you want to go cheap, Vivitar offers an option, they also have cheap acesssories online and at Target:

and for some people (i don't know reasons why), Sony is marketing their new cams hard, for about the same price:

One option if you're on a budget, is look for the remaining GoPro Hero 2 HDs. If you're lucky you can find new unopened ones for less than $150.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will certainly look into these. Any idea what kind of a camera captures the audio here? Notice how the sound doesn't crack even at WOT?

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Will certainly look into these. Any idea what kind of a camera captures the audio here? Notice how the sound doesn't crack even at WOT?

This camera used is likely the GoPro Hero 2 HD. There are 2 plastic covers for the camera. One of them is 100% sealed and waterproof. That one does not provide superior audio. The other has vents in the back of the cover which provides audio reception.

I'm not sure which one they used in the link above. Also remember, once you have the raw video, you can use their video editing software to further edit down video (and likely audio). I'm not sure if that person used other professional software to make edits.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
The new Sony Action Cam is an alternative. It's cheaper and the color resolution is better than GoPro.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:

GoPro's Hero 3 Black Edition is an excellent choice IMO. I haven't had any issues with software and the accessories are included to enjoy your $400 camera. That model comes with flat and curved adhesive pads and a swivel arm. The Battery life isn't the greatest when you shoot in 1440p but you have the option to shoot lower qualities with higher frame rates and that preserves the battery a bit. GoPro also includes a choice of cases that reduce or capture sound. Hero 3 BE gets my vote.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3anAPPLE View Post
GoPro's Hero 3 Black Edition is an excellent choice IMO. I haven't had any issues with software and the accessories are included to enjoy your $400 camera. That model comes with flat and curved adhesive pads and a swivel arm. The Battery life isn't the greatest when you shoot in 1440p but you have the option to shoot lower qualities with higher frame rates and that preserves the battery a bit. GoPro also includes a choice of cases that reduce or capture sound. Hero 3 BE gets my vote.
Bought it yesterday. Will test it out Noticed that it doesn't come with the suction cup or the wall charger.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
As an additional thought: I've seen several people use GoPro's and whatever camera, but they then use an external microphone that has the cable running the length of the car, with the pick-up mounted on the trunk or near the exhaust itself. This way, they avoid front-facing wind noise and instead get concentrated exhaust sound.

My guess is that you could also buy a stereo external microphone, too, in case you want to hear, for instance, grass under the tires on the left side of the car, while hearing pavement on the right side.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
davmanm5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5 Stroker, 08 E92 M3

Garage List
GoPro and Direnctional Mic

I used a directional mic with a long cable and can mount the GoPro just about anywhere on the car. The mic is simply attached to the license plate frame with a small strip of velcro. Audio is much better. The skeleton back on the GoPro still allows for WAY TOO much wind noise.

Below is obviously with just the skeleton back.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveManM3 View Post
I used a directional mic with a long cable and can mount the GoPro just about anywhere on the car. The mic is simply attached to the license plate frame with a small strip of velcro. Audio is much better. The skeleton back on the GoPro still allows for WAY TOO much wind noise.
Thanks Dave. Can you share what mike you are using? I had the same idea and ordered this one.........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a bi-directional mike. Did you just run the wire along the side of the car on the outside using velcro?

Also, what settings do you record on? 1080p/120fps, 720p/120fps or just 60fps?

Last edited by ///M///; 02-27-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Bought it yesterday. Will test it out Noticed that it doesn't come with the suction cup or the wall charger.
If you didn't buy the motorsport package, the suction cup is a $30 individual accessory, welcome to the club and money pit that is the Go Pro accessory world.

You can buy most common accessories at Target and the likes.

Wall Charger - I say skip. Unless you have multiple batteries you need to charge overnight, you just need a standard USB wall charger (from a cell phone charger) to charge the battery directly with the camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

also, not sure if ppl saw this, but during xmas time, there was a massive go-pro accessory sale at Target. I also picked up the suction cup for liek $25.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you didn't buy the motorsport package, the suction cup is a $30 individual accessory, welcome to the club and money pit that is the Go Pro accessory world.

You can buy most common accessories at Target and the likes.

Wall Charger - I say skip. Unless you have multiple batteries you need to charge overnight, you just need a standard USB wall charger (from a cell phone charger) to charge the battery directly with the camera.
Quote:
also, not sure if ppl saw this, but during xmas time, there was a massive go-pro accessory sale at Target. I also picked up the suction cup for liek $25.
yeah not planning on the wall charger. just wanted to be sure it wasn't missing from the package. They do rip you off on the accessories. For the newest GoPro the damn thieves did not include a direct plug in for a external mike and you need to buy a adapter (Micros USB to 3.5mm jack) to connect a external mike.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
M-Powered M3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 S/Charged

I've got a Go Pro 3 and love it. One of the Greatest gifts i ever got myself
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
davmanm5
Private
Rep

Garage List
This is the exact mic I am using. I went real cheap in case it fell off the car or did not perform as I wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SG-108-DV-st...item4aad2dc740

I got a pair of 15' 2.5mm stereo extension cables so I could place the GoPro wherever I wanted and I could leave the mic back by the license plate frame.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveManM3 View Post
This is the exact mic I am using. I went real cheap in case it fell off the car or did not perform as I wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SG-108-DV-st...item4aad2dc740

I got a pair of 15' 2.5mm stereo extension cables so I could place the GoPro wherever I wanted and I could leave the mic back by the license plate frame.
Thanks. How do you run the wire to rear? Inside and through the trunk or all from the outside?

Last edited by ///M///; 02-27-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Here's a good comparison video of the top kits on the market:

We've used the GoPros on the in the shop, on shoots as well as on the track, its rare we didn't have an issue with battery life or corrupted data with the GoPro.

We've since gone the route of the Replay XD1080 devices and have dumped the GoPros.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Here's a good comparison video of the top kits on the market:

We've used the GoPros on the in the shop, on shoots as well as on the track, its rare we didn't have an issue with battery life or corrupted data with the GoPro.

We've since gone the route of the Replay XD1080 devices and have dumped the GoPros.
Looking at both, the Reply seems to have a tint to it. Almost seems like it is darker.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
davmanm5
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. How do you run the wire to rear? Inside and through the trunk or all from the outside?
Depends on where the camera is mounted, but yes typically through the trunk to wherever it is at.
Appreciate 0