F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Need to drop.... 50lbs? help
GetBMWParts

05-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #67
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Those seem awesome, but how to they taste? to they have a slimy texture to them? How do you eat them (with pasta sauce?)
They dont really have a taste on their own. They can be slimy but I've found that if you run them under hot water and drain them most of the slime comes off. Pasta sauce doesnt stick very well to them so I tend to throw them together with some celery, carrots, sliced chicken breast, garlic, ginger, green onions and stir fry them with a bit of soy sauce or oyster sauce. Most of the recipes you find online that are Asian influenced tend to taste better than the ones that are westernized.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #68
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Stop eating cup cakes you Fat Fuk! LOL! J/K

Actually, what worked for me was the following:

- at least 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep per night
- Lots of water (about 1 gallon per day)
- No sugary drinks (I drink my coffee black)
Gavin, it's not good to work out in the middle of the night and to not get regular sleep. I guarantee that by following the above simple but essential recommendations from subzero, in conjunction with eating a balanced diet and moderate exercise (cardio and strength training 3x per week), you will lose weight.

** Your body needs good sleep my friend. ** And cut way down on the sodas if you drink them currently. **

Avoid supplements, avoid caffeine, avoid alcohol. Just keep it simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #69
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Gavin, it's not good to work out in the middle of the night and to not get regular sleep. I guarantee that by following the above simple but essential recommendations from subzero, in conjunction with eating a balanced diet and moderate exercise (cardio and strength training 3x per week), you will lose weight.

** Your body needs good sleep my friend. ** And cut way down on the sodas if you drink them currently. **

Avoid supplements, avoid caffeine, avoid alcohol. Just keep it simple.
Thanks ///1M,
Ive been doing this, im down 12lbs so far - no soda, and im not a big drinker normally.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #70
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Thanks ///1M,
Ive been doing this, im down 12lbs so far - no soda, and im not a big drinker normally.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #71
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ Jet Black / Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]

Your maintenance is around 3,500 calories according to a lightly active lifestyle.

Try cutting to 2,500 calories and aim to lose 2lbs a week. (more if you're exercising)

What is your estimated BF%?

You should be aiming for 1-1.4g Protein per LBM (NOT LBS)
Also, .4g-1g Fat per LB (100g Fat per day minimum)

You can get the rest of your calories from carbs.

OR if you don't want to calculate everything to the T, try just having balanced meals of Protein, Carb, Fats - all the while not exceeding your calories of 2,500.

This is spot on! if he had a BF% he could give exact numbers... its all in the Macros. I would recommend 14-15 incline on treadmill @ around 1.8-2.3 speed depending on heart rate for about an hr in the a.m. on an empty stomach. it works!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #72
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Calories in minus calories out....

If you eat more than you burn daily you'll gain weight. If you eat less than your burn daily you will lose. Everything else is just an excuse.
      05-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #73
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Thumbs up

Gavin - Just wanted to encourage you to keep it up. I'm currently almost identical to you.

In my late 20's I weighed 263 (5'9) and lost 100 pounds by doing crazy cardio every day, along with a diet of no more than 1000 calories (Subway for lunch, every day, then very small breakfast and dinner). Man 163 felt great. Went from 44 waist to a 32 waist and XXL to M shirt size.

Then some personal crap happened in my life and over the years I put it all back on, and more. I weighed 293 (Size 50 waist) on 1/18 of this year. I know people on here are going to flame me for it, but I got the lap-band on 1/18. After seeing my grandpa die of 2 strokes and a heart attack, and seeing my dad have a stroke in his early 50's (He just had a quintuple heart bypass surgery last week) I decided that enough is enough. Obviously my personal problem is not loosing the weight -- it's keeping it off. (Statistics show this is exceptionally common for dieters) Thankfully, I only have some slipped discs in my lower back, and nothing worse.

(The above sounds like I'm advocating you get the lap band, but I'm not, my advice is below...)

As of today, I'm at 255. I've had a fairly difficult time loosing weight, but you gotta keep at it every day. The best advice I can give is what worked for me:

- Realize you're human and when you screw up and eat bad stuff, try not to get down on yourself. Just resume correct eating at the next meal.
- Realize that day to day variations in your weight due to water are more than what you can subtract due to good eating and excersizing alone...so...if you weigh yourself every day (They say its best if you don't, but I do, to hold myself accountable) remember if the scale says you weigh more today, try not to get upset.
- Heard this tip from a weight loss class I had to take before my surgery. Very simple advice, yet very good advice: Do something! Sometimes I feel like crap and I don't want to exercise because I can't make it through my normal full set. It takes a lot, but try to get up and do something. If you normally do 30 minutes, and you feel lousy, just try 15 minutes....
- Advice from my Doctor last week: If you're like me, when you work out, you try to do too much. I have a tendency to keep my heart rate in the high 80% range. Doing that makes me feel like I'm going to pass out after I get off the machine. It also makes my body feel like I've been ran over by a X5 (pulling my 135 ) Just yesterday I gave it a whirl about keeping my heart rate at about 65-70% While I definitely burned less calories during the same alotted time, I felt so much better when I finished. I really could have went longer and made up the calories with time.

I won't give you any advice on the eating other than what others have already said. Fat lost = daily food intake - basal metabolic rate - excersized energy. Getting more of your calories from protein is generally better than refined carbs or fats, but many protein sources contain cholesterol which isn't good.

I think when I get down to my goal weight I'm going to reward myself with a used Elise or something like that (which will require me to stay thin to drive the darn thing)

Keep up the good work man!
      05-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #74
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
For everyone on this huge cardio kick, just remember that too much cardio will slow down weight loss.

20-30 min sessions should be the most you do if you are trying to lose weight. Do more than that and you're body starts to store fat to burn off on subsequent cardio sessions

Turbolader,

I do agree about weighing in on a daily basis. Its essential to make those adjustments needed to lose weight. Weighing yourself once a week is not a good idea since there can be too much weight fluctuation in one week

I don't agree about the lap band though. Especially for someone like yourself who did it the right way once before.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #75
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post

Turbolader,

I do agree about weighing in on a daily basis. Its essential to make those adjustments needed to lose weight. Weighing yourself once a week is not a good idea since there can be too much weight fluctuation in one week

I don't agree about the lap band though. Especially for someone like yourself who did it the right way once before.
I hear ya man (And believe me, you're not the first person to say the same thing to me ), but I respectfully disagree. I think the right way is the way that gets the weight off, and keeps it off. Before I did the 100 pound loss, I did a 40-pound loss (220 - 180) (In my late teens). For people that yo-yo like that, there is nothing that's proven to be successful. Look at subway's Jared (Now here's a guy who gets paid to stay thin and can't) and then look at all of the "biggest looser" people. Most of them get right back to where they started. Granted, if someone points a finger at me and says I have a problem, I'll whole-heartedly agree with them, however, how come (just about everyone that I can think of) can't keep the weight off? Doesn't seem logical that we all have a problem. Like I said though, I respectfully disagree. There are valid sources to both sides of the argument. I hope that people that do get surgical help try (more than once) to do it themselves before resorting to surgery.

OP - Sorry to get off topic
      05-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #76
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceG135i View Post
All i have to say is try the Paleo diet for a month. It is 99% the reason why i have lost so much weight in the past two months It is definitely something that works as long as you do what your supposed to.

This is what i used http://primalblueprint.com/

Its a great book with recipes that are amazing. I lost 25 pounds in 2 months, so i know if i can do it you most likely can.
I can also attest to the Paleo (cave man) diet.

I've dropped 40lbs after changing my diet and doing moderate cardio (jogging 3-4 miles every other day). I started in the last week of January. So, about 4 months. I've gone from 259lbs to 219lbs. My goal is to get to 210lbs by Sept 1st and then TRY to get to 199lbs by Jan 1st 2012.

Honestly, I feel like the diet has changed my life. It's really not a diet- it's a different way of thinking about food.
  • I eat as much as I want
  • I find I eat way less
  • I enjoy the food
  • I don't have energy spikes and crashes throughout the day
  • I'm more, err, regular. Plumbing wise. Nuff said.

The down sides:
  • It's hard to find food sometimes during quick lunch outings or late at night. I always find something though.
  • My lactose intolerance is a lot more sensitive.
  • My grocery bill has easily doubled.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #77
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Side note: this is the Paleo book that got me started.

A couple warnings:
  1. The writer is a little snarky and sarcastic in tone. Try and look past it.
  2. It gets really heavy into bio chemistry. You're going to feel like you're in school again. But you'll learn all about insulin, cortisol, leptin, the benefits of sleep, and all that fun stuff. Expect some rudimentary anthropology lessons too, regarding the Paleolithic period (how humans have been living for 99% of our existence.)
  3. You will have to cook. There's no two ways about it. Don't worry, you might learn to love it. You'll be using your BBQ a lot.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #78
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Few more links can be found here:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/the-pa...a-link-primer/

(A couple links are outdated)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #79
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
I hear ya man (And believe me, you're not the first person to say the same thing to me ), but I respectfully disagree. I think the right way is the way that gets the weight off, and keeps it off. Before I did the 100 pound loss, I did a 40-pound loss (220 - 180) (In my late teens). For people that yo-yo like that, there is nothing that's proven to be successful. Look at subway's Jared (Now here's a guy who gets paid to stay thin and can't) and then look at all of the "biggest looser" people. Most of them get right back to where they started. Granted, if someone points a finger at me and says I have a problem, I'll whole-heartedly agree with them, however, how come (just about everyone that I can think of) can't keep the weight off? Doesn't seem logical that we all have a problem. Like I said though, I respectfully disagree. There are valid sources to both sides of the argument. I hope that people that do get surgical help try (more than once) to do it themselves before resorting to surgery.

OP - Sorry to get off topic
The biggest problem with these biggest loser contestants, is that they literally have an army of people helping them stay fit and eat properly. Then when they are off the show that support system is yanked away. I am sure the rate of success for these contestants when they are at home and only have themselves to rely on is very low.

Keeping the weight off is all mental, its just based on decisions. Personally I have lost almost 80lbs since end of Sept and it is staying off forever. The greatest fluctuation I will allow is 5lbs , and thats normally if I go on vacation. If I ever need a reason to stay the course I just pull up some old pics that show me fat and bloated, gets the job done everytime
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #80
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

lol Paleo - what a joke
      05-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #81
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol Paleo - what a joke

troll.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #82
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Quote:
lol Paleo - what a joke

troll.
Really? Maybe you should read some of my posts in y
This awful subforum u fukin paleotard
      05-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #83
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
I love this from the Caveman Power Diet page

"This diet does not promote the regimented eating style found in most modern diets. Those diets nearly always fail because they require an absurd amount of willpower, which is very unnatural"

I suppose its completely natural to during stage 2 eat nothing at all between morning and evening
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #84
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Hey Guys ,
Some of you know me some don't, but I am not the most slender person on e90post that's for sure. So I joined a Gym and have a buddy who is a personal trainer going to train me, but Im basically asking for any tips or pointers to making food that doesnt taste horrible but still enables me to drop pounds.

I have a messed up schedule and am often times up in the gym at 2am, and then back to work at 8 am.

Supplements are also appreciated if you've used/use them - not steroids, or growth hormones LOL

Thanks in advance.
Just eat light and skip a meal whats so hard about losing weight Its gaining that sucks I can't gain no weight no matter how much I eat
      05-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #85
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
Gavin - Just wanted to encourage you to keep it up. I'm currently almost identical to you.

In my late 20's I weighed 263 (5'9) and lost 100 pounds by doing crazy cardio every day, along with a diet of no more than 1000 calories (Subway for lunch, every day, then very small breakfast and dinner). Man 163 felt great. Went from 44 waist to a 32 waist and XXL to M shirt size.

Then some personal crap happened in my life and over the years I put it all back on, and more. I weighed 293 (Size 50 waist) on 1/18 of this year. I know people on here are going to flame me for it, but I got the lap-band on 1/18. After seeing my grandpa die of 2 strokes and a heart attack, and seeing my dad have a stroke in his early 50's (He just had a quintuple heart bypass surgery last week) I decided that enough is enough. Obviously my personal problem is not loosing the weight -- it's keeping it off. (Statistics show this is exceptionally common for dieters) Thankfully, I only have some slipped discs in my lower back, and nothing worse.

(The above sounds like I'm advocating you get the lap band, but I'm not, my advice is below...)

As of today, I'm at 255. I've had a fairly difficult time loosing weight, but you gotta keep at it every day. The best advice I can give is what worked for me:

- Realize you're human and when you screw up and eat bad stuff, try not to get down on yourself. Just resume correct eating at the next meal.
- Realize that day to day variations in your weight due to water are more than what you can subtract due to good eating and excersizing alone...so...if you weigh yourself every day (They say its best if you don't, but I do, to hold myself accountable) remember if the scale says you weigh more today, try not to get upset.
- Heard this tip from a weight loss class I had to take before my surgery. Very simple advice, yet very good advice: Do something! Sometimes I feel like crap and I don't want to exercise because I can't make it through my normal full set. It takes a lot, but try to get up and do something. If you normally do 30 minutes, and you feel lousy, just try 15 minutes....
- Advice from my Doctor last week: If you're like me, when you work out, you try to do too much. I have a tendency to keep my heart rate in the high 80% range. Doing that makes me feel like I'm going to pass out after I get off the machine. It also makes my body feel like I've been ran over by a X5 (pulling my 135 ) Just yesterday I gave it a whirl about keeping my heart rate at about 65-70% While I definitely burned less calories during the same alotted time, I felt so much better when I finished. I really could have went longer and made up the calories with time.

I won't give you any advice on the eating other than what others have already said. Fat lost = daily food intake - basal metabolic rate - excersized energy. Getting more of your calories from protein is generally better than refined carbs or fats, but many protein sources contain cholesterol which isn't good.

I think when I get down to my goal weight I'm going to reward myself with a used Elise or something like that (which will require me to stay thin to drive the darn thing)

Keep up the good work man!
Sorry to hear man, it must significantly affect your 0-60
      05-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #86
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine3 View Post
Just eat light and skip a meal whats so hard about losing weight Its gaining that sucks I can't gain no weight no matter how much I eat
Skipping a meal, thats an awesome idea! NOT

The idea is to evenly distribute calories to your body during the day. So that you feel about the same throughout the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #87
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
Skipping a meal, thats an awesome idea! NOT

The idea is to evenly distribute calories to your body during the day. So that you feel about the same throughout the day.
Whatever , I wish I was heavy, Id be all muscle
      05-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #88
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Sources:

[i]1. Smeets AJ, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Acute effects on metabolism and appetite profile of one meal difference in the lower range of meal frequency. Br J Nutr. 2008 Jun;99(6):1316-21.

2. Taylor MA, Garrow JS. Compared with nibbling, neither gorging nor a morning fast affect short-term energy balance in obese patients in a chamber calorimeter. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001 Apr;25(4):519-28.

3. Bellisle F, McDevitt R, Prentice AM. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. 1997 Apr;77 Suppl 1:S57-70.

You guys are stuck with old science that has been updated - time to get educated!
Owned by PubMed .

Just thought I would follow this up and say that you are absolutely correct. No recent studies indicate that timing of your meal (or amount of calories ingested in one sitting) have any bearing on weight gain or weight loss.

There's also no such thing as, "if I eat too much, I won't absorb protein, and I'll just absorb all the carbs". Proteins, fats, and carbohydrates are broken down and absorbed by intestines independently of one another.

To OP - not to discourage you, but it is a difficult path that you tread on. What you refer to "heavy body build" is actually the fact that our bodies have inherent weight set-points, kind of like the thermostat for your AC. Our bodies will always gravitate towards that set-point, and will do so by secreting all sorts of hormones and growth factors when we are too far above or below that set-point weight. It is controlled and tightly regulated in the hypothalamus of your brain. You can read about Leptin, peptide YY, etc if you are curious.

What does that all mean? You need to be vigilant not only to lose weight, but with the most difficult part, which is maintaining the weight loss. Either way, we're all glad to see you're giving it a go, and we hope you accomplish your goal!
Appreciate 0