F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 C7 Z06
Extreme Powerhouse

07-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #23
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
It will blow you away on the turns too.
I think everyone knows that though. if performance is your number one goal this corvette should be top on list.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

Quote:
The Z06 is way more then just the amount of horsepower it produces. It does everything in extreme. Those other cars you mention(besides the GT3) are all luxury GT cars. Not pure performance cars.
I said horsepower and performance. What else does it do 'extreme?' Extreme interior? Like I said, it's not always about performance which is why if the new Z06 is priced according to speculation, it won't necessarily be the bargain car it used to be. Bargain for the performance, but not the total package.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
Even if it were priced that high(It wont), it will destroy everything anywhere near that price and much more. I would never buy an M6, 911 Turbo or a GT3 when I can get a Z06 to mop the floor with them.
Agreed. Wish it comes to South Africa. It would be on the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
It will blow you away on the turns too.
That's fine. At the price point, the badge matters. I don't want to sound like a snob, but it's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #27
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Everyone seems to be quantifying the value of the new Z06 solely on the amount of horsepower it produces over its competitors and its performance capabilities. But for over 100k, you're now contending with premium cars like the GT3, R8, F-Type coupe, M6, etc. Yes, they will be slower than the new Z06, but it's not always about performance.
Quote:
I said horsepower and performance. What else does it do 'extreme?' Extreme interior? Like I said, it's not always about performance which is why if the new Z06 is priced according to speculation, it won't necessarily be the bargain car it used to be. Bargain for the performance, but not the total package.
Why does the Z06 have to compromise its performance for the sake of luxury? Those cars you listed in your first post do a great job of filling the role of the pampered sports car/GT. If luxury is even near a consumer's top priority then this isn't the car for them; they can go cross-shop about twenty superb alternatives.

Let's use the recently-defunct ZR1 for perspective. I think it's more than fair to say that most everyone considered it a bargain supercar killer. $109,130 bought you a real performance machine with the interior of a port-o-potty. This upcoming Z06 is based on a superior chassis, features a higher output motor, and has an interior that doesn't look like it came from a Chevy thrift shop.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
That's fine. At the price point, the badge matters. I don't want to sound like a snob, but it's true.
You really don't think a Vette can turn do you? See where the M cars stand on Car and Drivers Lightning Lap records. The badge matters.....lol.....that made my day.

You want a performance car, you'll need to get rid of certain unnecessary items.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I love my C6 z06 despite it's "ugly interior" and "raw feel".

That being said I can't wait for the C7 Z06 and have every intention on trying to attain it. Everything wrong with the C6Z is fixed in the C7, most importantly the interior and they've also smoothed out a lot of rawness but it's still a brute car at the end of the day. It will now have the power, exotic looks, better interior, refinement and still excellent performance per dollar.

If people are concerned about a badge then they don't realize the intention of every Z06. It blows the doors off every car in it's price range performance wise. The C7Z will be doing the same thing and I'm pretty sure it will start at under 100K.

If I dont get a C7 Z06 next I may consider a 911 Turbo instead. I can't even begin to describe the performance, handling, responsiveness as well as fit and finish in the late model Porsche...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
$125k and no doubt will be recalled 4 times in the next two years. GM, the best car company tax payer dollars can fund.
Question is will they burn to the ground like the 991 GT3?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Why does the Z06 have to compromise its performance for the sake of luxury? Those cars you listed in your first post do a great job of filling the role of the pampered sports car/GT. If luxury is even near a consumer's top priority then this isn't the car for them; they can go cross-shop about twenty superb alternatives.

Let's use the recently-defunct ZR1 for perspective. I think it's more than fair to say that most everyone considered it a bargain supercar killer. $109,130 bought you a real performance machine with the interior of a port-o-potty. This upcoming Z06 is based on a superior chassis, features a higher output motor, and has an interior that doesn't look like it came from a Chevy thrift shop.

You're misinterpreting what I said. Where did I say the zo6 compromises performance for luxury? Where did I say the zo6 interior sucked which is what you seem to be inferring?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're misinterpreting what I said. Where did I say the zo6 compromises performance for luxury? Where did I say the zo6 interior sucked which is what you seem to be inferring?
"Everyone seems to be quantifying the value of the new Z06 solely on the amount of horsepower it produces over its competitors and its performance capabilities. But for over 100k, you're now contending with premium cars like the GT3, R8, F-Type coupe, M6, etc. Yes, they will be slower than the new Z06, but it's not always about performance."

Am I incorrect by interpreting the above quote as "the Z06 is a numbers car, and when you go beyond $100k, the idea that it can be considered a bargain value becomes questionable." My previous post was countering this notion.

To summarize my last statment: the Z06 will remain a bargain at that [my completely hypothetical] $125k pricepoint. "Premium" isn't a relevant selling point.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #33
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Everyone seems to be quantifying the value of the new Z06 solely on the amount of horsepower it produces over its competitors and its performance capabilities. But for over 100k, you're now contending with premium cars like the GT3, R8, F-Type coupe, M6, etc. Yes, they will be slower than the new Z06, but it's not always about performance.
The Z06 is going to be a lot more track focused than the cars you have listed (GT3 excluded). The Z06 is a much different car this time around, it is going to absolutely annihilate track days.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #34
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You really don't think a Vette can turn do you? See where the M cars stand on Car and Drivers Lightning Lap records. The badge matters.....lol.....that made my day.

You want a performance car, you'll need to get rid of certain unnecessary items.
I know a 'Vette can turn, and I really don't care where M cars stand on the Lightning Lap because I brought no mention of them into the discussion. The Z06 will be a beast, not questioning that. At this price point, the badge comes into play. Again, don't want to sound like a snob, but it's true. My Camry is a great car and I love it for DD duties, but would I more than 35,000? No, because I can have a Lexus for that price. For me, I'd take a Z06 over an M6, or a CLS 63 AMG, but I wouldn't take it over a GT3. As good as the Z06 may be, I'd take a GT3 each and every time.

Would you pay for something with $100,000 price tag that has a Toyota badge on it, or would you spend that money on something more elegant? That's what I thought.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Everyone seems to be quantifying the value of the new Z06 solely on the amount of horsepower it produces over its competitors and its performance capabilities. But for over 100k, you're now contending with premium cars like the GT3, R8, F-Type coupe, M6, etc. Yes, they will be slower than the new Z06, but it's not always about performance."

Am I incorrect by interpreting the above quote as "the Z06 is a numbers car, and when you go beyond $100k, the idea that it can be considered a bargain value becomes questionable." My previous post was countering this notion.

To summarize my last statment: the Z06 will remain a bargain at that [my completely hypothetical] $125k pricepoint. "Premium" isn't a relevant selling point.
Wing and I are on the same page here. The Z06 will be the bargain super-car just like the GT-R, but paying that much for something with a Chevy badge on it is the problem. People aren't motor heads like we are. Me, I wouldn't take a Z06 over a GT3. Anything else in the class, absolutely. I know I sound like a snob, but it's true. I feel the same way about the GT-R. Too expensive for the badge. For 125k, I can have myself a used Aston Martin, and I wouldn't care about performance. 'Exclusivity' become a factor.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #36
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wing and I are on the same page here. The Z06 will be the bargain super-car just like the GT-R, but paying that much for something with a Chevy badge on it is the problem. People aren't motor heads like we are. Me, I wouldn't take a Z06 over a GT3. Anything else in the class, absolutely. I know I sound like a snob, but it's true. I feel the same way about the GT-R. Too expensive for the badge. For 125k, I can have myself a used Aston Martin, and I wouldn't care about performance.
Quote:
I know a 'Vette can turn, and I really don't care where M cars stand on the Lightning Lap because I brought no mention of them into the discussion. The Z06 will be a beast, not questioning that. At this price point, the badge comes into play. Again, don't want to sound like a snob, but it's true. My Camry is a great car and I love it for DD duties, but would I more than 35,000? No, because I can have a Lexus for that price. For me, I'd take a Z06 over an M6, or a CLS 63 AMG, but I wouldn't take it over a GT3. As good as the Z06 may be, I'd take a GT3 each and every time.

Would you pay for something with $100,000 price tag that has a Toyota badge on it, or would you spend that money on something more elegant? That's what I thought.
It's not a car for the masses, therefore it shouldn't have to broaden its appeal. The badge doesn't mean everything as that really depends on the person. Majority != all consumers. If there's even a small percentage of buyers that are interested in pure performance, this will make the short list without question.

I'm doing my usual alternate reality window shopping here; the GT3 is typically my number one go-to for anything south of $300k, but even the Z06 would battle head-to-head for my dollar. If I had that kind of dollar to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #37
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not a car for the masses, therefore it shouldn't have to broaden its appeal. The badge doesn't mean everything as that really depends on the person. Majority != all consumers. If there's even a small percentage of buyers that are interested in pure performance, this will make the short list without question.

I'm doing my usual alternate reality window shopping here; the GT3 is typically my number one go-to for anything south of $300k, but even the Z06 would battle head-to-head for my dollar. If I had that kind of dollar to begin with.
That I can agree with. For anyone that really wants the performance, in the price point, the Z06 will be and should be a contender.

I'll use the same analogy, are you going to pay for a BMW that costs $375,000 or would you buy something like a Lamborghini or Ferrari? The badge matters more and more the higher up in price you go. This is just human nature. You want to reward yourself for the hard work you've done.Not drive something everyone else drives. That's human psyche.

I know someone who just picked up a Black GT3. So gorgeous.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #38
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Yes, you are actually. Let me repeat myself since you're having trouble comprehending what my point is. At 100-125k, the Z06 will no longer offer the same bargain it did before because it is now hypothetically priced in a niche with cars that offer more than sufficient performance that are categorized as 'premium'(and this is not solely based on the badges they don). Previously at 70k, there was basically no car that could offer both the same performance as a Z06 and offer the qualities of a premium car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I think everyone knows that though. if performance is your number one goal this corvette should be top on list.
It also sounds good too.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #40
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

I could care less about a badge. People get caught up in the hype and forget what a performance car is suppose to be and do. People who buy a car for the badge is what society calls "posers" and not a car person.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It also sounds good too.
Someone told me a car sounds good.

Whats the world coming to.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That I can agree with. For anyone that really wants the performance, in the price point, the Z06 will be and should be a contender.

I'll use the same analogy, are you going to pay for a BMW that costs $375,000 or would you buy something like a Lamborghini or Ferrari? The badge matters more and more the higher up in price you go. This is just human nature. You want to reward yourself for the hard work you've done.Not drive something everyone else drives. That's human psyche.

I know someone who just picked up a Black GT3. So gorgeous.
I wouldn't suggest that you ask me a question like that... I'm one of those kooks that happens to love the LF-A.

I get your point, and I think it's probably true for the majority of buyers out there, especially for those that aren't necessarily performance purists. I don't think that Chevy intends on selling the Z06 in volume, so they don't need to appeal to a large crowd. It will be perfect for the brand: dish up some headline numbers and serve as a halo car for the brand and for the Corvette nameplate. The C7 chassis has proven to be hugely capable, and not just via on-paper stats. I have a strong feeling that we'll get a pleasant surprise once reviews start cropping up.

Quote:
Yes, you are actually. Let me repeat myself since you're having trouble comprehending what my point is. At 100-125k, the Z06 will no longer offer the same bargain it did before because it is now hypothetically priced in a niche with cars that offer more than sufficient performance that are categorized as 'premium'(and this is not solely based on the badges they don). Previously at 70k, there was basically no car that could offer both the same performance as a Z06 and offer the qualities of a premium car.
There's no need to get personal, I just think that our perception of value and the intended role of the C7 Z06 are at odds. The C6 Z06 doesn't have a real equivalent on offer today, and the C7 Z06 doesn't look like it's exactly going to change that. From what we can see, the C7 Z06 is going to make the ZR1 nameplate obsolete (literally, as Chevy reports that there isn't an upcoming ZR1 in the pipeline), so if the car receives pricing that follows suit I think that is sensible.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #43
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
I couldn't care less about a badge. People get caught up in the hype and forget what a performance car is suppose to be and do. People who buy a car for the badge is what society calls "posers" and not a car person.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
I could care less about a badge. People get caught up in the hype and forget what a performance car is suppose to be and do. People who buy a car for the badge is what society calls "posers" and not a car person.
So, to make sure I understand you.....

....A car person:
  • MUST love performance
  • MUST not be concerned with prestige

I think most objective people would define a 'poser' very differently. Just because somebody values different things in a car doesn't make them any less a car lover than you, nor does it make them a poser. Different strokes for different folks who harbor different perspectives based on their own ideals, likes, dislikes and values (..and probably a generational component as well).
Appreciate 0