E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > REVIEW: eBay 20W CREE H8 Angel Eye Bulbs

06-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

REVIEW: eBay 20W CREE H8 Angel Eye Bulbs

I decided to do a simple review on a widely available set of angel eyes from eBay as myself ran into this issue upon purchase of my vehicle and couldn’t get much feedback in regards of these bulbs. I’ll continue to purchase products from all over and do simple reviews just to help everyone out there when doing their research some feedback.

NOTE: A Very Image Heavy Thread

Background:
Just recently less than a month ago acquired my E90 LCI in Titanium Silver as a replacement to my previous vehicle a 2004 C Class which repair bill was never ending. When I first purchased the car there was just a few minor things that I wanted to change at that moment of time in terms of lighting and that was the xenon colour (knew a drop in illumination however I was use to my 6000K colour temperature) and the H8 Angel Eye Bulbs (from the stock yellowish colour). First I had purchased a set of GP Thunder 8500K v2 H8 bulbs and was 50% satisfied, the colour was cooler than what I was hoping for also when dimming came into effect the colour became too warm and dim for my liking, at the moment of purchasing the GP Thunders I also purchased the 20W Cree H8 Bulbs from eBay, it was a race to see what arrived first.

Involved in Application Process:
- BMW E90 LCI
- H8 20w Cree Angel Eyes (eBay) - Seller Factorykiss

Buying Experience:
Fairly decent normal eBay buying experience, no hassle no issues, the unit was shipped out promptly after receiving payment with tracking information. Shipping took a little long but maybe due to residing in Canada.

Seller:
eBay - Factorykiss

Shipping Time:
20 Days from time of order.

Replacing:
GP Thunder 8500K V2 Halogen Bulbs

Contents & First Impressions
* 2x 20w CREE H8 LED Bulbs
* 2x 2 Piece Resistor Modules
* Packaging Material - Bubble Wrap [fun]

First impressions in regards to look and feel are very positive, the construction is fairly well done, great heft to the main unit (bulb), resistor packs were a tad bit light though (my first set of LED angel eyes so nothing else to compare to for now). Soldering seems to be of adequate quality no visual signs of flaws. Only downside for those who are new to LED angel eyes and its contents, is that there was no provided manual.

Below are a few images of the unboxing and inspection process of the contents.

Install & Review
Install of these LED H8 Bulbs were fairly easy, completed in less than 10 minutes, fitment was perfect, no issues getting it in and turning the bulb to lock it into place. With the bulb installed there is more than adequate amount of room for air flow and to shove the resistor modules/packs. After reading around and some tips from other websites like E92 Lighting, I tried to shove the resistor modules/packs far away from any sort of heat source (ie. heatsink of the bulb), still housed within the housing.

As you know my previous set of bulbs were a set of GP Thunder 8500K V2 H8 bulbs which were great, not as bright as the stock bulbs (due to temperature), and when they dimmed they were a slight warm white.

With the first one in, right away I noticed improvement over the GPThunder, they had a more cool white look to them compared to the blueish look of the GP Thunders and filled the outer rings a bit more. From 20ft away the fill was great in mid-day lighting, the colour was much more preferred by myself as it was closer to a 5500K-6000K while the GP Thunders were definitely pushing past 7000K in colour in full power/brightness.

I haven’t had any coding done to my vehicle, so where the halogen H8 Angel Eye Bulbs would dim, these LED bulbs dim as well, they don’t have anything to combat the drop in voltage, however when they dim, they easily maintain their colour temperature.

Below are a few images of the bulbs installed on the car.

Close up night shot of the bulbs in action

With xenons on and angel eyes dimming

Time to Wrap Up
Pros
- Brighter than the GP Thunders
- Surprisingly decent build quality (metals, rubber gasket, soldering)
- Great colour temperature (personal opinion based)
- Same colour temperature when the voltage drops (uncoded)
- It didn’t come just loosed in a ziplock bag as I was initially expecting as I was going into the order with nothing but wondering for price what was I going to get.

Cons
- Not sure if its a bad thing, very light resistor modules/packs
- Not as bright like those LED LCI BMWs (due to design of angel eye tubing as well)
- Little longer than preferred shipping time (free shipping, can’t complain)
- No compensation for voltage drop
- Super subtle flickering (due to pwm?) barely noticeable however I am a bit picky and notice small details so I was able to pick up on it. (This was noticed when parking 1 feet away from a grey brick wall and observing closely the output).

Honestly for bulbs costing $47 CAD shipped to Canada, I am impressed. I definitely would want to go brighter down the road for improved daylight performance, in terms of make them more noticeable. However as they sit I’m content until I try one out with more power.

Finalize:
We will see how long these bulbs last, I will update this post in the future with my findings in regards to longevity and when I do get something that’ll improve in terms of brightness and technology I’ll update with a comparison even if it’s just a quick note just for those doing their research. At the moment, I’m more happier than I was with the GP Thunders and thats enough for now.

Next on the List:
- Set of DTEC V9.5 100W H8 Angel Eye Bulbs
- Set of eBay 40W CREE H8 Angel Eye Bulbs (8 SMDS) (Should technically be 2x brighter, as it's 2x the amount of same spec cree smds, we'll see)

I do hope that this was some sort of help for anyone out there researching on some angel eyes, I’d definitely purchase these as back ups to higher end angel eyes in case they fail. It’s hard for me to ever go back to the stock halogen bulb colour temperature so this may be a never-ending quest.

Overtime I’ll continue to improve photo quality and have more use of my DSLR, all photos taken in this review was done with my Nexus 5.

BMW E90 LCI

Last edited by xijonix; 06-05-2014 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: More details to the flickering which isn't anything at all to worry about
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

When do they flicker? It's probably the warm and cold bulb checks.

They look pretty decent for how cheap they are, only about a decent lunch for two more than the cost of GP Thunders. I've seen the more expensive options and they haven't been much brighter than the GPs so these seem like a pretty decent bang for the buck. Nice review.
      06-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

When/how is it flickering? To the naked eye?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
xijonix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
When do they flicker? It's probably the warm and cold bulb checks.

They look pretty decent for how cheap they are, only about a decent lunch for two more than the cost of GP Thunders. I've seen the more expensive options and they haven't been much brighter than the GPs so these seem like a pretty decent bang for the buck. Nice review.
Oh the flickering is almost like certain florescent lighting, however the flickering is not noticeable at all unless you park one feet away from a grey wall and stare directly at the wall which I had done, even so its barely noticeable that it doesn't bother me and anyone else wouldn't even notice it at all.

Thanks a lot, yeah honestly for the price I myself was at first not expecting much which I guess is great when they outperform your basic expectations, especially at price point. Again I'll update in terms of longevity of these bulbs in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
When/how is it flickering? To the naked eye?
The flickering is barely noticeable it's almost like a xenon/florescent flicker, however barely noticeable, only noticeable if you park a feet away from a grey wall (which I did) and stare closely.

To be honest to you both I had forgotten the flickering had even existed, as every time I unlocked the car I stare at them, to the naked eye, it isn't noticeable.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Thanks for doing this, looking forward to more findings.
      06-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
gerbilunit
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 e93

+2 thanks for giving a solid review for something new!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
Oh the flickering is almost like certain florescent lighting, however the flickering is not noticeable at all unless you park one feet away from a grey wall and stare directly at the wall which I had done, even so its barely noticeable that it doesn't bother me and anyone else wouldn't even notice it at all.

Thanks a lot, yeah honestly for the price I myself was at first not expecting much which I guess is great when they outperform your basic expectations, especially at price point. Again I'll update in terms of longevity of these bulbs in the future.

The flickering is barely noticeable it's almost like a xenon/florescent flicker, however barely noticeable, only noticeable if you park a feet away from a grey wall (which I did) and stare closely.

To be honest to you both I had forgotten the flickering had even existed, as every time I unlocked the car I stare at them, to the naked eye, it isn't noticeable.
Gotcha. See a lot knock the 'cheap' ones with flickering and I have a lot of friends with all kinds of different version and haven't seen flickering to the naked eye except some of the very early ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Jamrockbwoy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i xDrive

link

whats the link to the seller? I cant find on ebay
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
drifts500
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I bought Ebay H8 20W CREE LED for $56 with free shipping. The quality is better than this one though even the design is same especially the bolts look weird or not properly installed. Mine does not flicker except cold start. Bright is okay enough

TE37RT with Hankook R-S3 265/285
Techtec ECU
Stock Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
xijonix
Private
Rep

Sorry all for the delay in response, I’ve been a bit tied up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Thanks for doing this, looking forward to more findings.
Not a problem =), through the ownership of my E90 I want to see how much I can do in terms of reviews, main thing is to try and do review something that may not have enough clear feedback to help everyone out if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbilunit View Post
+2 thanks for giving a solid review for something new!
Not a problem its my pleasure to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamrockbwoy View Post
whats the link to the seller? I cant find on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291135735621?...84.m1497.l2649 is where I had purchased from.
US link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H8-20W-LED-C...item5afef96c7d

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifts500 View Post
I bought Ebay H8 20W CREE LED for $56 with free shipping. The quality is better than this one though even the design is same especially the bolts look weird or not properly installed. Mine does not flicker except cold start. Bright is okay enough
Awesome find! link??

I’m curious to purchase test, review and compare a bunch of 20W 40W and 80W from different sources overtime, next I’m curious to test an 80W, to make a decent jump from a 20W, I’m currently running DTEC V9.5 100W (in the process of reviewing) and will use these as a basis for future reviews/comparisons and update the current review based on brightness VS the DTEC V9.5.

At the moment I'm keeping the 20W CREE as a backup in case the DTEC's fail, I'm ordering a set of 80W and will post after I do some testing and write up a review.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0