BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2) E92 M3's & F30 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2013 M3 E92 CF roof conversion?

Hey guys/girls,

I had a few questions regarding a used 2013 M3 e92 I saw, but it has a sunroof... If I were to buy this M3, is there any way I can convert that roof into a CF roof? If so, how much would the parts and labor cost me? ALSO, is $68k a reasonable price for this specific build?

http://www.shellybmw.com/vehicle/spe...593525?remls=1

Any professional input would help

Thanks!
2011 BMW E92 M3 - SOLD
2007 VW GTI MK5 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Do yourself a favor and just find a car with a carbon roof. There's plenty of cars out there.

It's possible to do a roof swap, but it's expensive. Also, personally, I would never buy a car with a roof swap.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bot View Post
Hey guys/girls,

I had a few questions regarding a used 2013 M3 e92 I saw, but it has a sunroof... If I were to buy this M3, is there any way I can convert that roof into a CF roof? If so, how much would the parts and labor cost me? ALSO, is $68k a reasonable price for this specific build?

Thanks!
Just looked into the link and i need to say it's a nice car !
About your question,i thought i was reading somewhere on this forum that it was done by EAS or IND ,you could send them a PM on this forum,but personal i think the CF roof and the labor will be $$$$ !
But you realy need to take a look at this and with a CF roof>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959107

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 03-19-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3/'14 Cayenne Turbo S

iND would be your best bet ... They've put CF tops on E90 M3's, very nice A+++ work but I agree with the others that this might cost you $$$ ... Why don't you get a quote from iND first? Here ya go: info@ind-distribution.com ... Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
@Craigy: Thanks for your input bro. I agree with you, I wouldn't buy a M3 with a roof swap but at the same time I think a sunroof looks hideous!! I have been trying to look for a used M3 like the one I use to have but I can't find any with a clean/non-"oily" looking interior, you know?

@ ///M Power-Belgium: Im not trying to spend thousands of dollars doing the swap. Ive been doing some research and I realized its gonna cost a lot of money out of pocket.

BTW the link to the M3 you sent me.. CLUTCH! I PM'd the owner right away! thanks for that!
2011 BMW E92 M3 - SOLD
2007 VW GTI MK5 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Since the coupes came with the carbon roof mostly you are best off sourcing one that came from the factory that way. Your cost to convert it would cost more than even buying a different one at a higher price that had one from the factory
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep

Ha yeah I can imagine dealers put all that armor all dressing on these cars to gussy them up. You could probably clean that off with some lexol or leatherique, etc.

There's a ton of cars out there though, and you only need to find one.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Do yourself a favor and just find a car with a carbon roof. There's plenty of cars out there.

It's possible to do a roof swap, but it's expensive. Also, personally, I would never buy a car with a roof swap.
Ill-informed. The cost is actually very reasonable <$2000 and even further, the swap is very straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Ill-informed. The cost is actually very reasonable <$2000 and even further, the swap is very straightforward.
Sounds expensive to me. I would be shocked if the installed price was less than $2k. Also it's not exactly a bolt-on part.

I can see doing it if you already bought a car and decided on the carbon roof. But it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier to find a car with the roof you want to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:

^THIS

It’s a serious operation to swap the steel roof to a CF one and to find someone to do it competently is even more of a challenge. Plus the cost involved. Nothing will equal the fit and finish of a factory CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
That cost does not include a new headliner, new control panel, roof moldings, and labor. The front and rear glass must be removed prior to removal of the factory panel. From there all spot welds must be broken then the surface must be carefully ground down to provide a smooth mounting flange. After this is complete the panel needs to be laid with a careful application of adhesive. There is about 12 hours of setting time and then our body tech will go through and clean the panel of all excess adhesive. New roof moldings are required and after paint are installed. Followed then by the installation of the front and rear glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bot View Post
Hey guys/girls,

Thanks!
We have performed this job and it is identical to the procedure we use for our E90 M3 carbon roof conversion albeit the fact that have the opportunity to use a OEM BMW carbon panel. Depending on how detailed you want to get you will also need a new headliner and a new overhead control panel that reflects the absence of the sunroof controls.

For labor we utilize the OEM Valvoline panel adhesive or a similar grade 3M product. It has been a couple years, but total job time was approximately 18 hours.

If you are interested please let us know, but it might be more advantageous to locate a vehicle without the sunroof.
      03-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
That cost does not include a new headliner, new control panel, roof moldings, and labor. The front and rear glass must be removed prior to removal of the factory panel. From there all spot welds must be broken then the surface must be carefully ground down to provide a smooth mounting flange. After this is complete the panel needs to be laid with a careful application of adhesive. There is about 12 hours of setting time and then our body tech will go through and clean the panel of all excess adhesive. New roof moldings are required and after paint are installed. Followed then by the installation of the front and rear glass.

We have performed this job and it is identical to the procedure we use for our E90 M3 carbon roof conversion albeit the fact that have the opportunity to use a OEM BMW carbon panel. Depending on how detailed you want to get you will also need a new headliner and a new overhead control panel that reflects the absence of the sunroof controls.

For labor we utilize the OEM Valvoline panel adhesive or a similar grade 3M product. It has been a couple years, but total job time was approximately 18 hours.

If you are interested please let us know, but it might be more advantageous to locate a vehicle without the sunroof.
Same roof trim pieces can be used, this was verified. It was just performed by a local enthusiast in perfect execution and phenomenal results. All of the parts were acquired for less than $2000 from BMW.

With exception of the glazing removal, it is a do it yourself venture with adequate time, and patience to properly drill the spot weld, not drill through them. It is something I plan to do.

Quote:
Sounds expensive to me. I would be shocked if the installed price was less than $2k. Also it's not exactly a bolt-on part.

I can see doing it if you already bought a car and decided on the carbon roof. But it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier to find a car with the roof you want to begin with.
It most certainly may be cheaper from the get go to find the car with the options you desire. It's also a great DIY project (except for the glass removal and reinstallation.)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

It honestly sounds like a larger pain in the ass type of endeavor than it's worth. A great DIY would be maintenance related. Replacing the roof should be a one time thing.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
Same roof trim pieces can be used, this was verified. It was just performed by a local enthusiast in perfect execution and phenomenal results. All of the parts were acquired for less than $2000 from BMW.

With exception of the glazing removal, it is a do it yourself venture with adequate time, and patience to properly drill the spot weld, not drill through them. It is something I plan to do.

It most certainly may be cheaper from the get go to find the car with the options you desire. It's also a great DIY project (except for the glass removal and reinstallation.)
I agree if you are capable of performing the work then it is a great project, but it is more than just putting a panel in place which was the reason I posted our install process for the OP. Simply trying my best to inform him on his potential purchase given the first-hand experience with the job. If one can salvage the roof moldings that is great, however, it is a minor expense compared to the other items (adhesive, labor for glass molding, OEM carbon panel, OEM headliner, and if you would like the appropriate overhead controls).

There are plenty of enthusiasts with incredible mechanical skills, but for most people this might not qualify for a DIY. Also, the panel and the headliner themselves are over $2000.00. At retail the panel + headliner are $2812.44 (54 10 8 045 327 + 51 44 7 838 452). With a very thorough search I believe one can find the parts for less just not over $812.44.

Again I think it is great if an enthusiast can take on this project and I look forward to seeing more conversions. Simply trying to help
      03-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
eNViou$$$
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Supercharged e92

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
I think its hysterical that NADA actually DEDUCTS from your cars value for NOT having a sunroof, but yet when you go to buy a used e30, e36, e46, they sell for a couple thousand more without the sunroof......Its logical to all of us why that is, who wants to build or buy a car thats at an immediate weight disadvantage, especially if your going to track it.....and like pretty much everyone said, conversions are expensive and never as good as stock.....Sunroofs and convertibles are for chicks anyway.....or guys with pet birds
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #16
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Hahah I didn't even think about all the control panel removal issues because I heard removing a sun roof is not a walk in the park, there are a lot of wires running down into the main circuit panel of the car. I would need to completely gut the sun roof system, run the wires down to the control panel and remove those, then I would need a roof liner for the inside and so on.. Plus I read on beamer post that this one dude did it on his E90 and he was having a lot of problems with cabin noise.. he was hearing squeaks, metal bending noises, etc etc, he had to go in again and rubber paste seal everything..

I appreciate a llllllll the input from all you guys! But I think Im gonna pass on the conversion, I don't have that kind of liquid cash to blow on something like this.

But if ANYONE knows anyone interested in a 2013 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T, let me know!

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4383227754

Thanks again guys! I can always count on this forum
2011 BMW E92 M3 - SOLD
2007 VW GTI MK5 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNViouS$$
I think its hysterical that NADA actually DEDUCTS from your cars value for NOT having a sunroof, but yet when you go to buy a used e30, e36, e46, they sell for a couple thousand more without the sunroof......Its logical to all of us why that is, who wants to build or buy a car thats at an immediate weight disadvantage, especially if your going to track it.....and like pretty much everyone said, conversions are expensive and never as good as stock.....Sunroofs and convertibles are for chicks anyway.....or guys with pet birds
Sorry to thread jack ... But I respectfully disagree that verts are "for chicks anyway" ... Just because it's not your cup of tea, I'd be really careful posting stuff like this, especially with only 16 posts under your belt ...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
eNViou$$$
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Supercharged e92

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebraces View Post
Sorry to thread jack ... But I respectfully disagree that verts are "for chicks anyway" ... Just because it's not your cup of tea, I'd be really careful posting stuff like this, especially with only 16 posts under your belt ...
Ok Hollywood-----Be free, with the top down and let the wind blow thru your flowing blonde hair. Whatever floats your boat...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
nicebraces
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNViouS$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebraces View Post
Ok Hollywood-----Be free, with the top down and let the wind blow thru your flowing blonde hair. Whatever floats your boat...
... With my "pet bird", correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Awwww I had a convertible e46 M3....

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

So you're looking for an AW E92 w/ a CF roof? Yeah that should be hard to find....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So you're looking for an AW E92 w/ a CF roof? Yeah that should be hard to find....
Hey now, what are you saying? It's a rare beast
Appreciate 0