BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
///MSpt550xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 550xi

Since it seems that price is not an issue here, why not throw a supercharger onto a stroker motor, if it will work?
2012 F10 550xi M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic II, Black Nappa, Aluminum Hexagon Trim, Cold Weather Package, Ceramic Controls, Premium Sound Package, Luxury Seating Package, 30% Tint, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kernow View Post
Any vids of FI against the Stroker at the track or anything???

Out of interest has anyone with the S65 stroker encountered any problems?
I would be curious in both of those. As of now I am looking to purchase the Gpower kit and have it installed at Autotalent as an alternative to the stroker.
      11-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
4 M3 G-Power S/C'er blew their motors in the last 120 days. Sure, they blew due to a bad tune, but not worth the headache. You were not able to drive your car for 4 months while waiting for G-Power to repair it....
No I read that on a another thread but I am still keeping an open mind. They did take care of the cars in the end. Dinan has been around 30 years so hopefully their warranty would be the best in the business. Many years ago I sent my Viper to Hennessey, well, I wont be doing business with any shops like that. Im SO glad to see people chiming in that have Stroker motors!

Have they resolved the tune issues?
      11-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Nope, not that I know of. The FI guys are so sure of their superiority over the stroker that only one of them volunteered for the Forum Wars competition -- whereas three strokers volunteered. After months of taunting the strokers, funny how they stayed away in droves from an organized and scientifically conducted competition.

(snicker)
They were getting their engines rebuilt you know....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
JMD0977
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MThree View Post
Since it seems that price is not an issue here, why not throw a supercharger onto a stroker motor, if it will work?
A MT trans might handle it, but the DCT wont, unless upgraded somehow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #28
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I live one mile from Dinan's HQ. Heck, I'll pick you up at the airport in the RD Stroker; let you drive it, then drop you off at Dinan if you wish.
So Pencil, Did you keep your original engine or did RD take it as part of a swap. Im curious how RD does it. I am assuming since RD was the first thats why you went with them? The Dinan is newly available.
      11-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
A MT trans might handle it, but the DCT wont, unless upgraded somehow.
How is your DCT handling the stroker?

Put urself in my shoes. I got out of the Nissan GT-R because basically modding it left you with no warranty and the DCT trans were known to possibly have issues. There was a lot of scare non the less. Well, 9 months later I have the M3 also with a Dual Clutch trans haha. I know the DCT is not cheap to rebuild. If I destroy it with the stroker or supercharger that will be unfortunate.
      11-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
JMD0977
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
How is your DCT handling the stroker?

Put urself in my shoes. I got out of the Nissan GT-R because basically modding it left you with no warranty and the DCT trans were known to possibly have issues. There was a lot of scare non the less. Well, 9 months later I have the M3 also with a Dual Clutch trans haha. I know the DCT is not cheap to rebuild. If I destroy it with the stroker or supercharger that will be unfortunate.
I always drove MT cars before, but I cannot imagine the M3 without DCT; especially with the stroker. I drive it on S6 mode 99% of the time, and with the extra power and torque...its just amazing and fast. And so much more convinient in heavy highway traffic. Recently, the more I drive it the less I want to sell it, but you already know what Im getting

Ive never had one single issue with the DCT trans. I also have not heard of one single DCT mechanical faliure. The have been some failures related to dealers putting MT fluid @ the 1200 mile service before. There were known issues with the software, when it was first released but all have been corrected, AFAIK, since I dont have any.

The DCT is supposedly rated at 440-445 lbs of torque. Stay below that and you'll be fine.

410 is a good number...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #31
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

If I was in your case my only two options would be RD or DINAN. Simply because I do not want added weight on the front and I know these two companies have a track record that speaks volumes. Also this is the last true high revving m3 in near sight why ruin that with FI. They both make a good product and stand behind it. A visit to both or a drive in both would seal my deal. I would take up pencilgeek on his offer to let you tool around with his rd and then go see a dinan one back to back. That's probably the best offer a guy in your situation has. A word of advice. If you do stroke her make sure you do all the parts not just the motor. Good luck and I will stay tuned.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #32
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

I honestly think you should leave the M stock or max. with bolt on upgrades. The reason is because you say you use it as your daily drive and already having the R8 V10 and 430 Scuderia I see no real point in taking the risk...

However if you are 100% set for a big tune, get RD or Dinan stroker. 1) they seem more reliable and offer good warranty. Since that's what you are highly concerned about (and you are very right to do so), it's a big +. 2) was considering SC from GPower before myself because I have to admit, I do love turbos/SC but honestly everytime I hit the pedal on the M3, knowing all that power comes from a NA engine makes me feel more satisfied, which is why I might go for Dinan in a couple of years if I get bored of stock M although I doubt it !
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #33
kevinD
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 evo 8

holy hell... 28,000 dollars for a little less then 100hp increase? i guess bang for your buck isn't really a term in the BMW dictionary?

my evo makes 500whp and i haven't even spent 10k on it yet
'08 evo X parts car (future time attack car)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #34
JMD0977
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post
holy hell... 28,000 dollars for a little less then 100hp increase? i guess bang for your buck isn't really a term in the BMW dictionary?

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #35
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post

IMO, M3 and Evo...all a man really needs
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
M3Kernow
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Silverstone M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FCB View Post

However if you are 100% set for a big tune, get Dinan stroker. 1) it seems more reliable
How is the Dinan Stroker more reliable than the RD Stroker? Apart from Steve Dinans Stroker who else has one? There are 5 or 6 RD ones, all with no problems. Doesn't that make RD statistically more reliable????
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How is the Dinan Stroker more reliable than the RD Stroker? Apart from Steve Dinans Stroker who else has one? There are 5 or 6 RD ones, all with no problems. Doesn't that make RD statistically more reliable????
+1 you are right, I was speaking Dinan vs SC
my bad I'll make the correction
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #38
JMD0977
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The RD Sport stroker price also includes header, full exhaust, ECU tune, and labor.
With Dinan, for $26K you only get the motor. None of the things I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #39
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I just wanted to chime in, since everyone is jumping on Gpower for 2 blown motors due to wrong software, I'm almost 100% other F/I tuners have blown motors.

I can tell you this, Gintani has built their kit infront of my eyes, they have had their car running properly for well over 8 months with no problems.

My point is this motor can handle boost fine.

The tune can either make the product or break it.

No one is sitting here bashing RD when their software wasn't running properly but they figured out the problem. No company is perfect. I'm sure Gpower fixed the problem by now.

I still want to see a N/A with full boltons race a stroker car. It's been months and nothing was set up. I have nothing against the RD strokers but if I paid 20k, I would want to be kicking every cars ass on the street/track. I wish my car was RD stroked and supercharged, now that would be something I would love to own... Maybe later when business gets better.

I would have signed up for the forum wars but my car is not working. I've let forum members drive my car, taken anyone I know for a spin, and always go out to the mexico runs... Trust me, I would have LOVED to go.
      11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

N/A Stroker FTW!!
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #41
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
I just wanted to chime in, since everyone is jumping on Gpower for 2 blown motors due to wrong software, I'm almost 100% other F/I tuners have blown motors.

I can tell you this, Gintani has built their kit infront of my eyes, they have had their car running properly for well over 8 months with no problems.

My point is this motor can handle boost fine.

The tune can either make the product or break it.

No one is sitting here bashing RD when their software wasn't running properly but they figured out the problem. No company is perfect. I'm sure Gpower fixed the problem by now.

I still want to see a N/A with full boltons race a stroker car. It's been months and nothing was set up. I have nothing against the RD strokers but if I paid 20k, I would want to be kicking every cars ass on the street/track. I wish my car was RD stroked and supercharged, now that would be something I would love to own... Maybe later when business gets better.

I would have signed up for the forum wars but my car is not working. I've let forum members drive my car, taken anyone I know for a spin, and always go out to the mexico runs... Trust me, I would have LOVED to go.
You mention street vs track. These are two different applications. I get wanting a bigger hammer, but there are trade offs like the reliability mentioned.

The car in it's original state is sick fast almost too fast for the street IMHO. Compared to cars from even 5 years ago, it's in super car territory (and close to most supercars these days).

OP, what do you want the extra HP for? Is it for bragging rights? A quicker straight line? Canyon runs? track use? Or are you just looking for more torque? Touching the engine might not be the best solution depending on how you answer these questions... .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #42
JMD0977
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
No I read that on a another thread but I am still keeping an open mind. They did take care of the cars in the end. Dinan has been around 30 years so hopefully their warranty would be the best in the business. Many years ago I sent my Viper to Hennessey, well, I wont be doing business with any shops like that. Im SO glad to see people chiming in that have Stroker motors!

Have they resolved the tune issues?
I missed this post. The only issue the tune had before, only affected MT cars while in full throttle for some reason. My car was the first RS46 running. Since the motor was fist put in the car, I went to Cali, put 2500 miles(breaking it in), without any problems or issues at all. All this was the past December/Januay.
Later when i got the car car to FL, and now with a total of 10K miles on the motor, I never had an issue, with the motor or tune. I've had the cell light on a couple of times, but not the issue the MT cars had experienced, which have been resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #43
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

I would say go stroker. Check out Pencil Geek's videos and just listen to the sound of that monster go sideways in third gear. It is second to none.

I love FI, but going N/A has its own advantages.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
You mention street vs track. These are two different applications. I get wanting a bigger hammer, but there are trade offs like the reliability mentioned.

The car in it's original state is sick fast almost too fast for the street IMHO. Compared to cars from even 5 years ago, it's in super car territory (and close to most supercars these days).

OP, what do you want the extra HP for? Is it for bragging rights? A quicker straight line? Canyon runs? track use? Or are you just looking for more torque? Touching the engine might not be the best solution depending on how you answer these questions... .
Great post and great questions. Everyone has different motivations. The most sensible thing would be buy a C6 Z06, which satisfies virtually all the criteria, including way more power, torque, significantly less weight, reasonable street manners, reliability, creature comforts, and WAY less money. Moreover, the LS7 can be pushed to 700 much cheaper than a S65 can be pushed to 500, but why?

"Sensible" is not the deciding factor for most car nuts, especially those who are brand fans, who want the baddest, whatever. While I might think pushing a 4L V8 to 500HP is nuts for street use and having it last, others just love the challenge.

I had a C6 Z06 and loved it. However, ultimately, I felt it was too much for daily-driver use even in OEM trim, so I decided to dial it back, even though the only service it ever required was oil changes. I've also had a lot of experience with high HP modified cars of many different makes, and at the end of the day, they all tended to be a PIA in one way or another.

These days, I'm loving OEM. Obviously, I must be getting old, and everyone has to learn it for themselves, but there's is no explaining it. It just is . . .

P.S. If I were to go "nuts" and try to push the S65, it would be stroker, or nothing.