F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Rumor: BMW Considering Unique M Car to Take On The Likes of R8?
Studio RSR

05-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #45
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Take this fill in those clear bits on the doors (or not if they want to keep it wild), remove the rears seats, and plant in a V12
I'm sure that'll make $$$

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #46
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Oh my God..... Just do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #48
E90jonno
STANCE YOUR RIDE!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
But BMW already has a supercar

its even got a BMW engine!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #49
Mpistolis21
Rep
Drives: series 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90jonno View Post
its even got a BMW engine!!
hahahahahahahahahahah!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #50
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXMO View Post
@ SCOTT26

I have a few questions.

BMW is always complaining about costs to make something like this.
Then explain me why there is always money for concepts and stuff that will never hit the market, never make any money and only cost money?

And further, BMW is always complaining that a supercar doesn't fit there strategy, philosophy and bla bla bla.
Then why use "The ultimate driving machine" as a slogan and present your self as a sporty brand and in the mean time produce luxury cars?
And most of the time get beaten by the competition?
I know there is still ///M, but honestly there is not much left of it.
It's dying faster the the polar caps.

A photo shoot with a 1M and an E30 M3 next to it, trying to act like it is very similar? common where not handicapped children.
It's like BMW has lost all it's dignity or maybe living completely out of reality.
Or is it only sales and money these day's?

Still i love BMW don't get me wrong. Always bin a big fan and probably always will be. Guess we should thank the ///Marketing devision for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #51
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

long shot but man it would be a dream to own a bmw supercar
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #52
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Nope--- not gonna happen. We've heard this rumor ever since the Z8 expired... which was not a sales success by any stretch of the imagination.
And yet most Z8's still retain close to their original value 10 years later...

How many 10 year old cars out there are still going for $100,000 USD?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #53
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

It's only fair if M designs an in-house car that it competes with AMG's SLS S63 should do nicely
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #54
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
+1

Hey EXMO - try a little .

Also, please educate yourself in BMW branding, marketing, business strategy, not to mention sales numbers, profit figures, and critical reception. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #55
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Mercedes and Audi sell less cars and have less money then BMW. Still they can produce supercars.
That's my whole point. I just wanna know the real reasons behind this cause nobody can convince me its cash related.
My problem with this is that BMW rarely tries to do this right and I don't see the resources existing right now for a solid competitor. Too often BMW's idea of a supercar is a parts-bin special with a nice exterior. Audi has the advantage of the Gallardo's chassis as a base and Mercedes turned to McLaren for the SLR; what's BMW going to do, go to Giugiaro again?

Don't just say "Hey, we're going to build a supercar like everyone else." Say "Hey, we're going to build a better one than everyone else." And since that's pretty unlikely, I'd prefer they didn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #56
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
i think bmw needs to make this to show that they can. no need to prove themselves, but this would just show everyone that they're not just m3...they can be r8 also.

yes expensive, but what it means seems more important to me
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #57
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

@ SCOTT26

I have a few questions.

Quote:
BMW is always complaining about costs to make something like this.
Then explain me why there is always money for concepts and stuff that will never hit the market, never make any money and only cost money?
In regards to Concept Cars we like to test the market reaction to new niche models and indeed future cars that are coming to the market.
But we like to show future thinking on our past with the hommage series of vehicles that is just pure evolution.

BMW are more than a car company , BMW have developed solutions and infrastructure in defining mobility , some at the cost of vanity projects but BMW has proved itself to stay on the roads that are significant and not be distracted with what others are doing. In relation to Efficient Dynamics...It was more important to allow customers to see a reduction in expenses in some countries by developing technology which can reduce fuel consumption and lower the c02 level for tax purposes.

Had we forgone this in place of a car that would make no money and then be forgotten then we would not be the the no1 Premium manufacturer in the world and the no1 sustainable automobile manufacturer.

With the futuristic Vision Efficient Dynamics and Vision Connected Drive we showed you the future or the very near future because all the attributes these Concepts showcased are coming to production.
I remember at the IAA on the launch of the VED amongst the media and they were saying something like that will never happen and now you will get the BMWi8 which is the production car of the VED.

Quote:
And further, BMW is always complaining that a supercar doesn't fit there strategy, philosophy and bla bla bla.
In the current climate it did not. There were other significant matters to deal with including why BMW invested in the three segments for dynamic growth this decade. the Premium City Compact/MINI , Premium Compact and Premium Entry. And of course Technology such as Efficient dynamics and connected Drive Programmes and manufacturing.

Quote:
Then why use "The ultimate driving machine" as a slogan and present your self as a sporty brand and in the mean time produce luxury cars?
And most of the time get beaten by the competition?
In Europe we do not use that slogan it is exclusive to the UK and USA , we prefer Sheer driving Pleasure or Freude am Fahren. Every BMW has a character and every BMW is developed to be dynamic and great to drive, right from the 116i to the 760Li. And our success confirms that in terms of what is the best car in the segment , you will find a BMW , comparison with a competitor and so on.

Quote:
but honestly there is not much left of it.
It's dying faster the the polar caps.
Why is M dying? I have never heard that before... M are progressing and they are taking leaps, If you mean the X5M and X6M as everybody else does... These are highly signifcant sellers in emerging and growing markets and are highly profitable for BMW.

M3 is still selling exceptional even though it is now over four years old , and a new M5 and M6 will see BMW increase sales particular in new growth markets. If you take China for example. M Division sales grew by 355% in 2010 which is why the BMW M5 Concept Car was unveiled in China. The M3 , X5M and X6M were responsible for that huge increase, and when the new M5 arrives in Asia in January we expect further increases. A new emerging market for M products is India aswell as Russia which showcased a couple of years back it's appetite for M products by building a live billboard.

in terms of product the M3 Evo Sedan is upcoming as will a showcase on material technology. The discussions relating to the M-one project will happen (if green-lit ) after 2015 when BMW is in full production of volume CFRP for BMWi in which BMW M will be the first recipitent.

Quote:
A photo shoot with a 1M and an E30 M3 next to it, trying to act like it is very similar? common where not handicapped children.
The photo was actually meant to showcase progress. It is not possible to do a car like the E30 because you have legislation for modern cars.
The 1M Coupe shows that the spirit of the E30 is in this car and that they share the bloodline - small , compact , powerful and judging by the reviews for both one of the best small performance cars ever made.

And we are confident in that statement.

Quote:
It's like BMW has lost all it's dignity or maybe living completely out of reality.
Or is it only sales and money these day's?
BMW like any other manufacturer is a business and that business has to make a profit. If you look at what happended at the economic crisis , who almost crashed? The Automobile industry has had to adapt and BMW could not stay out as it has affected the entire industry whether in safety , efficiency or emissions. Everybody has had to accept change. That is the reality.
      05-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #58
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
... if it's not to much asked enlighten me on this subject.
I'll just go ahead and second what SCOTT just said.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #59
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
He was probably pissed cause he bought the V8 version before the V10 came out so he said f it I'm switching to the better brand, BMW. Haha

I keep hearing about the radical 6 cylinder and it's making me very excited.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #60
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #61
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Look at the Nissan GTR, who would of guessed a Nissan would smoke just about everything. They shocked the car world, all because some dedicated engineers gave it their all and made a hell of a car.
How many supercars did they make before the GTR?
And look at the price for crying out loud!

Look at the CSL/GTS, remember that it was first a 3 series.
There not that much slower then an Audi R8 5.2 FSI.
Then think about BMW building something from scratch without the limitations that a saloon car has.

I think they should build the M1 Hommage as its the perfect candidate for a BMW supercar. Not only because it's a reincarnation from the original BMW supercar, it also looks absolutely stunning.
did not you ask this same question a few hours ago that you so elegantly answered? Are you mocking us? What just happened?

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #62
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

umm, jes preez

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #63
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

M1 Unicorn? Lol
      05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #64
Xsilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X6

It only makes sense for BMW to build a car that will compete with the likes of Audis R8 or the Mercs, although BMW seems very reluctant to do so or even let us know, the growing Chines market seems to indicate otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #65
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsilly View Post
It only makes sense for BMW to build a car that will compete with the likes of Audis R8 or the Mercs, although BMW seems very reluctant to do so or even let us know, the growing Chines market seems to indicate otherwise.
if ultimately it is the Chinese market that causes BMW to make this car I will and enjoy the end result of BMW having an iconic supercar.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #66
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
let's hope it will see production
Appreciate 0