F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Be Honest: Do you rev match?
proTUNING Freaks
View Poll Results: Do you rev match?
Yes 85 65.38%
No 12 9.23%
Sometimes 33 25.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

11-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Be Honest: Do you rev match?

Be Honest: Do you rev match your manual transmission vehicle? I never realized until recently but I only do it on occasion. It is like a spasm of some sort. Even the girl I'm talking to rev matches. I'm not sure if it correlates to gas mileage all that much. I do get higher mpg's than my buddies even though I don't have a light foot.

Do you rev match?
      11-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

How else can you drive manual? If you don't rev match then the car jerks when you downshift.
      11-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
How else can you drive manual? If you don't rev match then the car jerks when you downshift.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

How long have you been driving? With modern synchros it's simply not necessary unless you are racing and downshifting. Street driving, there's simply no need to shift faster than the synchros can handle. The trans will still last forever and it's not jerky at all.

Now, if I'm in an older car with worn synchros, then yeah, rev match every time (in fact, I've had to drive a couple cars that the clutch was so bad that I had to shift wiothout using the clutch, requiing careful rev-matching to get teh car to it's destination).

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
How long have you been driving? With modern synchros it's simply not necessary unless you are racing and downshifting. Street driving, there's simply no need to shift faster than the synchros can handle. The trans will still last forever and it's not jerky at all.

Now, if I'm in an older car with worn synchros, then yeah, rev match every time (in fact, I've had to drive a couple cars that the clutch was so bad that I had to shift wiothout using the clutch, requiing careful rev-matching to get teh car to it's destination).
That makes me feel a bit better ChrisV. Truth be told, I dont really downshift unless necessary. By necessary I mean passing or needing more "pep." I usually pop the car in neutral and brake or coast to a stop.
      11-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I rev match during spirited driving or on the track because it keeps the weight distribution stable, but on the commute drone, I don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I always attempt to rev match. The key there is attempt...

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

This is perfect...I've been meaning to ask this question (135 = my first manual car)

For those of you that Rev match...this is only an attempt to rev match precisely correct? I'm assuming you don't know exactly what your RPM's are after downshifting at your current speed....only a rough estimation....?

I personally don't downshift to often (just put it into neutral when rolling up to a stop sign/red light etc)...only downshift with I need to take a corner that requires it...and I ATTEMPT to rev match (sometimes to high/to low)
      11-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
This is perfect...I've been meaning to ask this question (135 = my first manual car)

For those of you that Rev match...this is only an attempt to rev match precisely correct? I'm assuming you don't know exactly what your RPM's are after downshifting at your current speed....only a rough estimation....?

I personally don't downshift to often (just put it into neutral when rolling up to a stop sign/red light etc)...only downshift with I need to take a corner that requires it...and I ATTEMPT to rev match (sometimes to high/to low)
Ugh..

You have already begun modding your 135 and you don't know how to downshift when you come to a stop??

It is something you really need to work on. You are gonna wear out those brakes extremely fast driving in that manner. Even in an auto the car downshifts for you and helps stop the cars momentum. The first manual car I ever drove I put it in neutral and came to a stop for the first week or so till I learned how to effectively downshift.. But this isn't something that you can ignore. It is part of driving a manual transmission.

Not to mention you shouldn't even have to put the car in first when coming to a stop sign. You should be able to downshift into 2nd and then come to a stop and depress the clutch, rev up and continue driving from 2nd gear. The less time you spend in 1st gear the less wear on your car.

Concerning your statement about "attempting" to rev match. The more miles you put on your car the less you will ever need to look down. You should know simply by listening to the exhaust note when to down shift and where your revs are in the range.

A lot of people make comments about drivers and their cars on this site. Some of them are justified, some of them aren't. However, before modding your car you should really know how to drive the car properly/effectively prior to modding it. Otherwise, you are wasting your money and risking your automobile.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

No I don't, the pedal configuration in my Jetta doesn't allow for it. The brake pedal is too high in comparison to the accelerator .

On top of that, I don't even know how to. I'm sure I could've figured it out by now if they didn't have a gay pedal set up.

However, I have learned to minimize the jerkiness of downshifting and sometimes it's smooth as butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Ugh..

You have already begun modding your 135 and you don't know how to downshift when you come to a stop??

It is something you really need to work on. You are gonna wear out those brakes extremely fast driving in that manner. Even in an auto the car downshifts for you and helps stop the cars momentum. The first manual car I ever drove I put it in neutral and came to a stop for the first week or so till I learned how to effectively downshift.. But this isn't something that you can ignore. It is part of driving a manual transmission.

Not to mention you shouldn't even have to put the car in first when coming to a stop sign. You should be able to downshift into 2nd and then come to a stop and depress the clutch, rev up and continue driving from 2nd gear. The less time you spend in 1st gear the less wear on your car.

Concerning your statement about "attempting" to rev match. The more miles you put on your car the less you will ever need to look down. You should know simply by listening to the exhaust note when to down shift and where your revs are in the range.

A lot of people make comments about drivers and their cars on this site. Some of them are justified, some of them aren't. However, before modding your car you should really know how to drive the car properly/effectively prior to modding it. Otherwise, you are wasting your money and risking your automobile.
I downshift to slow my car, because that's how I was taught (it is after all the proper way to drive), but how do I combat the argument from my friend (he does the neutral thing) when he says brake pads are less expensive than a clutch?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
every single time, i understand the syncros will do some of the work but after 10+ years of driving manuals its a habit to give it a lil bleep of throttle to rev match on non aggressive downshifts and i am pretty accurate on rev matching the aggresive downshifts aswell
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
No I don't, the pedal configuration in my Jetta doesn't allow for it. The brake pedal is too high in comparison to the accelerator .

On top of that, I don't even know how to. I'm sure I could've figured it out by now if they didn't have a gay pedal set up.

However, I have learned to minimize the jerkiness of downshifting and sometimes it's smooth as butter.

I downshift to slow my car, because that's how I was taught (it is after all the proper way to drive), but how do I combat the argument from my friend (he does the neutral thing) when he says brake pads are less expensive than a clutch?
Cause he is wrong. You are not going to need to replace your clutch because you downshift. You are going to need to replace your clutch for downshifting into 2nd from 5th. Not 2nd from 3rd. or 3rd from 4th. Doing burnouts, riding your clutch from gear to gear... resting your foot on the clutch while driving. These are the types of things that cause your clutch to fail. Not downshifting.

My fleet of trucks consist of mostly automatics and about 5 manuals. They all used to be manuals. I learned how to drive a truck on manual transmissions. I only use the clutch to go from neutral to 1st and from neutral to reverse. Otherwise, you hit your RPM target and lift from the gas and shift. It works with every manual transmission. My trucks go almost 100k without clutch replacement and my drivers are downshifting. If they weren't downshifting they would never be able to slow down the trucks with a full load, the brakes would simply overheat and explode.

If you want to combat that argument, ask him why he is driving a car with a clutch if he doesn't want to use it? 4 brake pads installed on a BMW are not cheap... at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Cause he is wrong. You are not going to need to replace your clutch because you downshift. You are going to need to replace your clutch for downshifting into 2nd from 5th. Not 2nd from 3rd. or 3rd from 4th. Doing burnouts, riding your clutch from gear to gear... resting your foot on the clutch while driving. These are the types of things that cause your clutch to fail. Not downshifting.

My fleet of trucks consist of mostly automatics and about 5 manuals. They all used to be manuals. I learned how to drive a truck on manual transmissions. I only use the clutch to go from neutral to 1st and from neutral to reverse. Otherwise, you hit your RPM target and lift from the gas and shift. It works with every manual transmission. My trucks go almost 100k without clutch replacement and my drivers are downshifting. If they weren't downshifting they would never be able to slow down the trucks with a full load, the brakes would simply overheat and explode.

If you want to combat that argument, ask him why he is driving a car with a clutch if he doesn't want to use it? 4 brake pads installed on a BMW are not cheap... at all.
Cool, thanks for the response man. I was under the impression that any depression of the clutch = it wearing. I guess that isn't the case. Gunna see what he has to say about this.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

^^Uh oh. You just gave Doug some ammo. We all know how argumentative he is. Just kidding...
      11-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
^^Uh oh. You just gave Doug some ammo. We all know how argumentative he is. Just kidding...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
That makes me feel a bit better ChrisV. Truth be told, I dont really downshift unless necessary. By necessary I mean passing or needing more "pep." I usually pop the car in neutral and brake or coast to a stop.
+1...i generally do not downshift that often. and i usually will not rev match. i try to though
      11-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Thumbs down

Sorry, I can't agree with these points from a previous poster:

* you should downshift/engine brake or you will wear out your brakes. (Brakes are designed to slow the car down and are cheaper than transmission/clutch.)

* you should start off from full stops in 2nd gear. (Ever hear of clutch slip which is synonymous with clutch wear?)

* the less time you spend in 1st gear, the less wear on your car. (I don't know where to start on this one...)

You can find a few links about driving a manual transmission here... read for some good advice...

Driving a Manual Transmission

Oh, and BForbes, it's very important to rev match with your girlfriend - if you don't, you'll find yourself grinding your own gear!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

i rev match 100% of the time- its 2nd nature to me.
      11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with these points from a previous poster:

* you should downshift/engine brake or you will wear out your brakes. (Brakes are designed to slow the car down and are cheaper than transmission/clutch.)

* you should start off from full stops in 2nd gear. (Ever hear of clutch slip which is synonymous with clutch wear?)

* the less time you spend in 1st gear, the less wear on your car. (I don't know where to start on this one...)

You can find a few links about driving a manual transmission here... read for some good advice...

Driving a Manual Transmission

Oh, and BForbes, it's very important to rev match with your girlfriend - if you don't, you'll find yourself grinding your own gear!
Thanks for the advice, kind sir!
      11-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

IMO, BForbes needs to loose Mod status until he correctly & consistently rev matches his down-shifts. A Mod that fails to do so is a disgrace to this forum!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
IMO, BForbes needs to loose Mod status until he correctly & consistently rev matches his down-shifts. A Mod that fails to do so is a disgrace to this forum!!!!!!!!

You cut me real deep, Lib. I wonder if the 370Z forums would welcome me. They do have that rev matching button feature.
      11-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I do all the time. It'll be less jerky for passengers during down shifts. It sounds cool with a nice exhaust. You'll be doing your car a favor in the long run.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0