E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Looking at an extremely low mileage E90 335i on Tuesday. Suggestions?

10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
evident
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Accord

Looking at an extremely low mileage E90 335i on Tuesday. Suggestions?

Hi, first time poster here, and i really need some help!

This tuesday i'm going to go look at a 2010 335i E90, sport, premium and cold weather package, rwd. it has 3000 miles on it. yes. 3000, not 30000. I called the dealership and asked them if it was a typo and they said nope. It was "corporate" owned according to carfax, and they dealer says the owners owned a farm in the area and it was their weekend car and they traded it in for a lexus. been on the lot about 6 weeks now.
asking price is $29999.

Now, this is a lexus dealership which has a BMW dealership right next door with the same owners, etc.. one thing i question is why wasn't it transferred to the BMW dealership? maybe they do their books differently and it isnt that simple, i dont know but you would think if they wanted to move the vehicle they woulda sent it next door.

there's no CPO and the manufacturer's warranty has since expired obviously. the dealer gives me a 6 month 6000 mile warranty. where should i start with negotiations? I feel i should ask them to throw in a CPO warranty at least for that price.
I just test drove a 335ix 2011 CPO 3 weeks ago for 35K with the packages i want, but 40k miles.

What are some wear and tear things i should look for? i know there are pitfalls with low mileage vehicles as well, cracked rubber, dry rot on tires, should i worry about anything else? anything to pay attention to during the test drive?

thanks in advance. also forgot to add that the 2011 with 40k miles was sold last week.

update:

just came back from the lexus dealer. they wouldn't budge at all on the price. when i walked out they called me and offered me the list price (30K) with 3 year 36K dealer warranty (which they said all work would be done at the bmw dealer next door). i'll wait and see if they'll move down more.

the car was in great shape. it was clear they did work on it though. the FR and RR tires were both replaced, rear left was original, and front left had a different date code as well but the fronts and rears are staggared so i dunno. front bumper was replaced as well. it was brought into the bmw dealer for service in dec last year for all of the recall work done, oil change. work order said the car had to be jump started to be brought in and that the battery had to be replaced.

. since its such a low mileage car, how much would i lose if i sold it after the 3 year/36K mile warranty ended? probably a ton, it will be a 7 or 8 year old car by then. this is a tough decision!

Last edited by evident; 10-07-2014 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Ask for a Carfax or dealer history report to see if all the recalls have been done
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Wow that sounds like a nice ride.

I too would be wondering about recalls, the car really hasn't been ran enough to put through its paces so the owner may not have done any but I don't think it would effect value if it hasn't had any of the recalls completed.

It would take something really bad to let that car slip through my fingers if it's what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
evident
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Ask for a Carfax or dealer history report to see if all the recalls have been done
the car fax comes up with virtually nothing. 58 miles, 2010 vehicle registered. 2014, 3k miles, for sale. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
Wow that sounds like a nice ride.

I too would be wondering about recalls, the car really hasn't been ran enough to put through its paces so the owner may not have done any but I don't think it would effect value if it hasn't had any of the recalls completed.

It would take something really bad to let that car slip through my fingers if it's what you're looking for.
seriously, its extremely tempting. i was putting off purchasing a new vehicle until the new IS350 Fsports were down in the 30K price range. this E90 just popped up and it's tough to ignore. i've read through the "what to do " threads on this forum but i think this is a more unique situation!

Do you think i can trust the bmw dealer next door to do a pre purchase inspection of the vehicle? the recalls should be performed free of charge obviously right? tsbs maybe/maybe not? like i said in my OP, they are both related to each other...
      10-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
e90'D10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG 2010 e90 335i

Man this is a tough one here because that sounds like a remarkable deal tbh with you. But for a vehicle with very little miles with that year I'd wonder how it'll be running in the long run. Yet it could be the same situation my cousin went through years ago when I found him an RX-7 with very low miles. That owner simply wanted to just get something different and the car ran perfectly fine
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post
the car fax comes up with virtually nothing. 58 miles, 2010 vehicle registered. 2014, 3k miles, for sale. LOL

seriously, its extremely tempting. i was putting off purchasing a new vehicle until the new IS350 Fsports were down in the 30K price range. this E90 just popped up and it's tough to ignore. i've read through the "what to do " threads on this forum but i think this is a more unique situation!

Do you think i can trust the bmw dealer next door to do a pre purchase inspection of the vehicle? the recalls should be performed free of charge obviously right? tsbs maybe/maybe not? like i said in my OP, they are both related to each other...
Yes I would get that figured out, shouldn't be an issue to get someone in management to explain why it's next door and if they'll handle all the recalls if not done already.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

I would take a hard pass on the car if the 5 year old oil inside the engine hasn't been changed at least once.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
evident
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
I would take a hard pass on the car if the 5 year old oil inside the engine hasn't been changed at least once.
if my understanding is right, all recent bimmers come with oil changes under the factory warranty correct? if so, the dealer should have reported that in the car fax, which this carfax doesn't show at all. it was probably sitting in a barn somewhere.
      10-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
if my understanding is right, all recent bimmers come with oil changes under the factory warranty correct? if so, the dealer should have reported that in the car fax, which this carfax doesn't show at all. it was probably sitting in a barn somewhere.
Correct, all dealer service related items will appear in the Carfax report, and BMW recommends changing the oil once a year if the car doesn't see a lot of miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
thekidatthebar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
Yes I would get that figured out, shouldn't be an issue to get someone in management to explain why it's next door and if they'll handle all the recalls if not done already.
Although the dealers are owned by the same company, the management still wants to make their numbers (esp if there is a decent profit to be made on the 335). Im sure the BMW store will do the PPI, they aren't going to sabotage the Lexus store.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Get a thorough pre-purchase inspection done from a good independent garage. Make sure there is no evidence of an accident. If everything checks out dont be afraid to buy this car since it is still almost brand new. Change the coolant, brake fluid, and engine oil/filter right away and you'll be good to go.

You can always negotiate a warranty in with the purchase price. Regardless, HPFP and turbos have extend warranties so you are covered for those items.
      10-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Ask them for the part of the HPFP.
Ask if there is warranty on it from BMW?
Ask for Wastegate and Turbo warranty.....a MUST.
Ask for assurance .... But 6 months and 6000k is barely 1 oil change interval.

Personally I would turn away.
I would look at the 40k car more as atleast it has been broken into and possible most issues have a higher chance is being addressed.

Look at tire condition, Pedal wear, is there signs that contradict the low milage.

With 3k there is very little chance a complete independent PPI will reveal anything significant.

Also if it stood for long, all the tires could have developed a flat spot.
And may require that all 4 be changed.

without atleast a 40k warranty or full CPO .... I would not touch it.
Price is a little too high.
Get assurances in writing.
They are hoping someone buys it and has to deal with any issues on their own.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
mt145
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I wouldn't worry about it not being transferred from dealership to dealership. I work at a big umbrella place, and if a car is traded at one place it tends to stay there, unless it's been a long time. I think it's something to do with the budget for each place, their sales totals tend to get tallied separately.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
MDecals
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Now, this is a lexus dealership which has a BMW dealership right next door with the same owners, etc.. one thing i question is why wasn't it transferred to the BMW dealership? maybe they do their books differently and it isnt that simple, i dont know but you would think if they wanted to move the vehicle they woulda sent it next door.
Could just be that the old owner wanted a lexus next and traded it into the lexus dealer for simplicity

Your Source For All Things Vinyl!

Official Decals: Bimmerpost | E90post| M3post | F30post

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Corporate owned cars are the ones you want! People at BMW Financial get new cars every 6 months just because they can. The car program there is amazing. You can drive a new X5 for the winter a new M4 for the summer if you want - every single year
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
After checking the car out myself, which would include a visual check of the body, interior, engine compartment and tires, as well as a test drive and an operational check of all the electrical equipment, if the car still looks good to me:

1) I'd drive the car next door and have the BMW dealer do a complete inspection on it. If there are any required repairs, I'd decide whether I still want to buy the car depending on the nature/cost of the required repairs.

2) In the meantime, I'd walk over the Finance Dept to see if the car is eligible for an extended warranty and, if so, what the cost of that warranty would be, AND then

3) If I still want to buy the car, I'd go back to the Lexus dealer to negotiate a deal which takes into account the cost of the warranty and any required repairs, including a current oil/filter change just to make sure it's been done, AND then

4) I'd walk away if the cost of the car including the warranty and required repairs exceeds what KBB or NADA say the car is worth AND

5) If I decide to walk away, I'd just start looking for another car.

Last edited by SSW; 10-06-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
The white one? LOL

30k tho.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Get a thorough pre-purchase inspection done from a good independent garage. Make sure there is no evidence of an accident. If everything checks out dont be afraid to buy this car since it is still almost brand new. Change the coolant, brake fluid, and engine oil/filter right away and you'll be good to go.

You can always negotiate a warranty in with the purchase price. Regardless, HPFP and turbos have extend warranties so you are covered for those items.
YES. PPI at a REPUTABLE shop. BEST MONEY YOU WILL SPEND.
      10-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
evident
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
The white one? LOL

30k tho.
yep, white with black interior. why LOL?
      10-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:
Hi, first time poster here, and i really need some help!

This tuesday i'm going to go look at a 2010 335i E90, sport, premium and cold weather package, rwd. it has 3000 miles on it. yes. 3000, not 30000. I called the dealership and asked them if it was a typo and they said nope. It was "corporate" owned according to carfax, and they dealer says the owners owned a farm in the area and it was their weekend car and they traded it in for a lexus. been on the lot about 6 weeks now.
asking price is $29999.

there's no CPO and the manufacturer's warranty has since expired obviously. the dealer gives me a 6 month 6000 mile warranty. where should i start with negotiations? I feel i should ask them to throw in a CPO warranty at least for that price.
I just test drove a 335ix 2011 CPO 3 weeks ago for 35K with the packages i want, but 40k miles.

What are some wear and tear things i should look for? i know there are pitfalls with low mileage vehicles as well, cracked rubber, dry rot on tires, should i worry about anything else? anything to pay attention to during the test drive?

thanks in advance. also forgot to add that the 2011 with 40k miles was sold last week.
09-10' E90 335i's are great cars because they are LCI with the N54 motor. If you are into performance mods be happy you didn't buy the 2011.
Good luck getting the CPO warranty since the OEM warranty is already expired.
There's not going to be wear and tear items to look out for, it has 3k miles it. That things probably not even broken in yet because I would assume the owners never had that thing WOT. The HPFP is still under warranty so if you have issues with that you'll be able to get the newest version.
      10-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

The car has 3k miles, it's virtually brand new, all you nay'sayers stop being a bunch of pussies, it's a good buy for fucks sake.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
evident
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
09-10' E90 335i's are great cars because they are LCI with the N54 motor. If you are into performance mods be happy you didn't buy the 2011.
Good luck getting the CPO warranty since the OEM warranty is already expired.
There's not going to be wear and tear items to look out for, it has 3k miles it. That things probably not even broken in yet because I would assume the owners never had that thing WOT. The HPFP is still under warranty so if you have issues with that you'll be able to get the newest version.
to be honest, i'm not really going to mod my car. planning to keep it stock for the most part, maybe throw in the amp and speakers from my honda if it doesnt mess with anything. will certainly get a set of winter rims and tires.

I just want a fun daily driver for my 60 mile round trip commute. it's about 70/30 highway/ city.