E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ODB Thefts

08-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
mrsbutton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D M

ODB Thefts

I have recently got a 320d M company car (about 4 weeks ago) and had an attempted theft the night before last.

I've read up on the alarm blind spot, opening the car through the door lock (essentially it looks like the inner lock is just ground down until it opens) and then hooking up to the ODB to program a new key.

There's lots of info and discussions out there about how thieves are stealing cars using these methods, but nothing about how to fix these design flaws BMW have kindly bestowed upon us...

How can I disable the ODB in a way that will cause a sufficient delay to a potential car thief? I am simply looking for a deterrent that will (rightly or wrongly) mean that it's not MY BMW that they nick.

As this is a company car, it needs to be a reversible modification (I.e. remove a part of the ODB and keep it on me and just reconnect when required). What systems will disconnecting the ODB cause? Will it mess up the cars history and/or cause issues with servicing/troubleshooting?

Also, re the alarm blind spot, where is it and can it be fixed by adding a sensor?

I've already had one car nicked - an R32 I'd had for just 3 weeks, which was stolen by a creeper whilst I slept upstairs. Scary, inconvenient, expensive, upsetting and quite frankly something I'd rather not go through again.

Any advice is appreciated.
Any sarcastic or nasty responses are not, so don't bother.

Cheers
;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
This is such a serious issue that you won't get any sarcastic answers on this forum. The way BMW are treating this whole situation is unbelievable, they are just burying their head in the sand.

I hope people don't mind me posting a link to another forum, but if you've got the time it's definitely worth a read, some useful info on how to protect your car against theft.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=1121571&nmt=
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Have a search for OBD, there are loads of posts on this but unfortunately no universal solution - the port can't be disabled but can be relocated, even if it's just shoved back behind the dashboard. Anything that will slow down a thief is good, try using a disclok on the steering wheel too

PS. Welcome to e90
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
mrsbutton
Registered
Rep

Wink post replies

Thanks both. I've read through that thread this morning, thanks.

I've tried to unscrew the OBD housing, but the position it's in, I can't get the bottom screw out to move the unit anywhere. Is there a cheeky manufacturers shortcut to being able to get into this any easier? My car is the 2010 320 d m sport.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
I did the obd relocate this morning. Was simple enough.

Remove sill trim - pulls off.
Remove under (pedal area) dash trim - 3x torx screws.
Unscrew bonnet release handle - 1x screw.
Remove kick panel trim - one more screw.
Remove obd port - 2x screws.

Relocate somewhere hidden, either hard wired or use an extension lead. If the latter, make sure you secure the join and hide it up in the dash somewhere. The obd plug can be now put anywhere that your cable length allows.

Just make sure your dealer or mechanic knows where it is if he needs to! My local dealer is going to hate me when they realise what you have to do to get to it!!
      08-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
My local dealer is going to hate me when they realise what you have to do to get to it!!
....... but having to removing all the seats first will certainly deter all but the most determined thief
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
      08-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I'll have to be careful with my dealer as well ... if they touch the two prongs from the Taser that has replaced the OBD socket they may well not like me
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I guess that's subjective. If I worked at a dealer and saw someone getting zapped, I'd probably laugh my tits off!

Initially...
      08-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

How many confirmed thefts have taken place?

Although I agree there is an issue I've only actually read about a few thefts using the OBD and each has been given far more exposure than even a theft where force was used against a person.

As posted by a few members including myself, we are seeing a huge reduction in our insurance premiums which suggests the insurance companies don't have any real concern.

If they were paying out for loads of claims on BMW cars being stolen our insurance would rocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
How many confirmed thefts have taken place?

Although I agree there is an issue I've only actually read about a few thefts using the OBD and each has been given far more exposure than even a theft where force was used against a person.

As posted by a few members including myself, we are seeing a huge reduction in our insurance premiums which suggests the insurance companies don't have any real concern.

If they were paying out for loads of claims on BMW cars being stolen our insurance would rocket.
I tend to agree with Kerr on this one, especially when I consider the drop in insurance premiums I've just had to pay.

Granted, I have seen a few cases of this type of theft happening, but I certainly would class it as an epidemic yet.

IMO I can't help thinking its a bit like the E90 swirl flap issue. A lot of cautionary tales, but try to get somebody to post an actual failure and they are few and far between.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but this is my current perception on the matter (right or wrong).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

I can totally understand why you both feel that way and that's cool.

I will clarify at work if I can share the figures (for London) before saying anything else.

It's an eye opener and I'm sure Birmingham and other places of that size are being hit hard too.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
For the sake of £10 for some bits, I'd rather be safe than sorry!
      08-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbutton View Post

I have recently got a 320d M company car (about 4 weeks ago) and had an attempted theft the night before last.
Is it a brand new company car? If so it must be an F30 and not a E90? Does that mean F30's are affected in the same way with this ODB issue?

edit, forget that, just read this...

Quote:
My car is the 2010 320 d m sport.

Last edited by dopper99; 08-19-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post

It's an eye opener and I'm sure Birmingham and other places of that size are being hit hard too.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226452922444

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #16
mrsbutton
Registered
Rep

OBD

Thanks so much for the walk through of getting to my OBD. I'll finish the job later today

Thanks also for the taser idea...that's so good I would be willing to never sleep again just to try and catch a would-be thief getting shocked to s**t!

I agree, I think these OBD thefts are getting a lot of coverage because they expose some serious faults in the BM security system and yes, we need to remember that there are all sorts of other thefts being carried out far more often. I saw a comment from someone on another thread asking about why the ODB's aren't encrypted or have better technology based security. As an IT geek myself, there are thousands of options BM could implement, the only reasons I can think of that they haven't are a)cost and b)industry compliance.

However likely this is though, after having my old house broken into and my R32 nicked in under 5 minutes (watched them do it on the house CCTV the next morning) and then not having the insurance pay out (long story) just to know that my car was targeted on Friday night is enough to make me want to cover all the bases.

I don't know how true any of this OBD stuff is, but hey, if by taking a few steps my car isn't nicked, then I'm happy.

I'm in a suburb of Birmingham (near Sutton Coldfield) and your right this is a big issue for the police around here. I was told by my friendly local bobby that there have been 60-odd thefts since the start of the year on BM's in this way. Apparently it was in the local paper a couple of weeks ago too.

It remains to be seen if my car was targeted because it is a BM or if the thieving little scumbags were just after a nice motor. I spread the word about what had happened to a few neighbours who have nice cars on Saturday and at about 9pm that night a young lad from across the road came over to say that his sporty little hot hatch had just had just been done (they'd popped the lock barrel right into the door) Luckily he has a large and slightly mad dog who heard something and went berserk at the front window. The guy came out to see a car speed off up the road. In the end he went and locked up his car in his works' yard...

Thanks again for the help and advice, I'll get my OBD sorted later and keep you posted on anything else I hear/see.....

Mrs (wannabe) Button
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
[FONT="Tahoma"]

Mrs (wannabe) Button
I was going to suggest that Jenson has a word with the powers that be
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

where exactly is this blind spot on the alarm then? Anybody considered an aftermarket alarm? That would be the first port of call for a deterrent not so...one of those alarms with the proximity sensors? (MOVE AWAY FROM THE CAR!!) hehe

figures from admiral / elephant car insurance...600 bmws stolen in december 11 and then 1000 -1200 in the following months!..this is kinda here say but from a fairly reliable source.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Blind spot is down the side of the door as you slide your arm toward the OBD port.

Easiest safest method is to buy extention lead remove hte trim round the port hide the port under deap in the dash and using extention relocate it to another place in the car.
Then ductape the join so no chance of it coming apart.

Easy enough done. Anyone around J4 M3 want a hand or see how its done give me a shout
      08-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

so how are they getting into the car??...breaking the glass?

I've had the cookes ferry mod done but what I'm getting at is I want a deterrent that prevents them from trying (via the obd method) so as to prevent the damage to the car - so I just want to understand what they do.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Number of options just search YouTUbe. Wax Keys, Stick film on glass break it and pull it out slowly. Cloned Keys
      08-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

wouldn't a wax key set off the alarm?
so an improved alarm would help then?
Appreciate 0