F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 Chevrolet SS
Studio RSR

07-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

2015 Chevrolet SS

Thoughts on the 2015 chevrolet SS???

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/...e-rpo-central/

Additions include:
- 6 speed manual
- magnetic ride
- full brembo brakes (addition of the rears)
- 4g LTE wifi hotspot
- 6 new colors

Seems pretty good to me. I'm sure they will depreciate pretty quick so maybe 2-3 years it will be a nice car to have besides the gas mileage

To have really made something special, they would have to throw the LT1 in there but i'm sure they are waiting on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I love the current SS but I literally never see them on the road.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I love the current SS but I literally never see them on the road.
I've seen one in silver going the opposite direction. They have a presence, that's for sure. With a couple of exterior modifications i.e. wheels, REMOVING THE DAMN CHROME CHEVROLET PUTS ON EVERYTHING and a few other tweaks, they def look like one mean machine.

Like I always say, I/H/C and tune will get you an easy 450-470 rwhp. Add in some ported heads and the LS3 is one mean engine. Superchevy has some great articles on adding tons of naturally aspirated power to the LS3.

Then again, the hellion twin turbo kit is only $8k and that can put you at >600rwhp hahahaha. I love american V8's.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Haha, I hate GM's love of chrome wheels. I've looked at the ATS a few times and those damned wheels just kill it for me.

At least they're slowly moving away from vinyl roofs.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Good sleeper cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Meh technically the wheels are not chrome, they're polished aluminum with clear or some shit like that. They look pretty damn chrome to me though. Agreed about the chrome trim everywhere too, but Crazy Paul can hook you up with some official GM black trim that gets rid of that for a pretty cheap price overall.

I'd assume this means they'd be upping the fronts to the sixers on the V I guess. It's the right thing to do for a semi-halo car but I have a feeling that cost is going to be passed on to the customer. I'd rather forego the added cost of maintenance and up front for the relatively little (if any) real-world return I'd see from upping the braking system. It would look a whole lot better but that's about it.

The more info comes out, the more I expect this to touch $50k.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Meh technically the wheels are not chrome, they're polished aluminum with clear or some shit like that. They look pretty damn chrome to me though. Agreed about the chrome trim everywhere too, but Crazy Paul can hook you up with some official GM black trim that gets rid of that for a pretty cheap price overall.

I'd assume this means they'd be upping the fronts to the sixers on the V I guess. It's the right thing to do for a semi-halo car but I have a feeling that cost is going to be passed on to the customer. I'd rather forego the added cost of maintenance and up front for the relatively little (if any) real-world return I'd see from upping the braking system. It would look a whole lot better but that's about it.

The more info comes out, the more I expect this to touch $50k.
I really wish they didn't have all of the drivers assistance equipment as standard. I think if they bulked all of that tech into a package and then removed it from the base car, then they would be able to lower the price.

THen again it is GM, so who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I've seen a couple on the road in Michigan. Really nice looking cars from what I could see.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I really wish they didn't have all of the drivers assistance equipment as standard. I think if they bulked all of that tech into a package and then removed it from the base car, then they would be able to lower the price.

THen again it is GM, so who knows.
True but I feel like one of the saving graces of this car is that while people are balking at the $46k price tag, they are at least also conceding that it's fully optioned at that price.

I wonder if they're ever going to start marketing the f'n thing though. It's like they don't want to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
True but I feel like one of the saving graces of this car is that while people are balking at the $46k price tag, they are at least also conceding that it's fully optioned at that price.

I wonder if they're ever going to start marketing the f'n thing though. It's like they don't want to sell it.
So true. The only reason I ever found out about this car is that the local GM dealer had one parked on their front lawn. I had to go on the website to find out what it was.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Unless GM changes its mind for the 2015 model, then they will never market it. When the '14 SS was announced and then about to be put into production they basically said that they will only make what is being asked for. I'm not sure how many are out there now but I can say it is under 2k, probably well under 2k.

I've seen one at a dealership and looked it over. Its a very nice car but all it is, is a '09 GXP with updated looks and a lot of extra BS that they made standard. It is a very fast car too, traps ~110 and runs 12.5-12.8 stock. The price tag is ridiculous but considering how much they add as standard, its a bargain.

One thing I hate about it, is I can't tell if it was a Malibu/Impala/SS that I passed on the road......

BTW, the car is being discontinued after 2015.......so I'm sure this car will hold its value. Just how the G8 GXP is holding its value.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
BTW, the car is being discontinued after 2015.......so I'm sure this car will hold its value. Just how the G8 GXP is holding its value.
Source?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Unless GM changes its mind for the 2015 model, then they will never market it. When the '14 SS was announced and then about to be put into production they basically said that they will only make what is being asked for. I'm not sure how many are out there now but I can say it is under 2k, probably well under 2k.

I've seen one at a dealership and looked it over. Its a very nice car but all it is, is a '09 GXP with updated looks and a lot of extra BS that they made standard. It is a very fast car too, traps ~110 and runs 12.5-12.8 stock. The price tag is ridiculous but considering how much they add as standard, its a bargain.

One thing I hate about it, is I can't tell if it was a Malibu/Impala/SS that I passed on the road......

I think the number for 2014 is 3.5k or something. They've moved around two-thirds IIRC (~2100 as of end of June). Also, the VF chassis is more than just a slightly modified VE, they didn't just plop new body panels on the VE and call it "new". There are functional adjustments as well, NVH is reduced, greater use of Aluminum results in weight savings (43kg down from the VE despite the additions of active safety features and electric power steering) and added stiffness (IP bar), etc.... So it's slightly more than just a G8 GXP with updated looks but it doesn't show it to you very well when you're looking at it.

And I disagree about the muted looks, I love it. I hate all the extra attention I get in the Mustang, from cops, ricers, mullet boys, coal rollers, etc... without even provoking anything. I'm dying to be anonymous without giving up fun at this point in time. That's a highly subjective and polarizing topic though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Comparison Test

This was the 2014 model SS vs. the 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Source?
Saw it on a Yahoo article a while back and read it here and there in other articles. GM is shutting down the Holden factory in Aussie land (where the car is made) in 2016/2017.

Quote:
I think the number for 2014 is 3.5k or something. They've moved around two-thirds IIRC (~2100 as of end of June). Also, the VF chassis is more than just a slightly modified VE, they didn't just plop new body panels on the VE and call it "new". There are functional adjustments as well, NVH is reduced, greater use of Aluminum results in weight savings (43kg down from the VE despite the additions of active safety features and electric power steering) and added stiffness (IP bar), etc.... So it's slightly more than just a G8 GXP with updated looks but it doesn't show it to you very well when you're looking at it.

And I disagree about the muted looks, I love it. I hate all the extra attention I get in the Mustang, from cops, ricers, mullet boys, coal rollers, etc... without even provoking anything. I'm dying to be anonymous without giving up fun at this point in time. That's a highly subjective and polarizing topic though.
It does have mute looks and I'm fine with that, considering I owned a 06 GTO for 5 years. I guess not being able to tell this from a Malibu or Impala is like trying to determine if you passed a 3/5 series or a Audi A/S/RS 4/5/6.

I would trade my 1 in for this car if I could. Its all about the love/hate relationship. Its like loving a C5s exterior and performance but hating its interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Still haven't seen one in the wild yet. I hope my local dealer will have one to test drive once the Manual version is available.
      07-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Saw it on a Yahoo article a while back and read it here and there in other articles. GM is shutting down the Holden factory in Aussie land (where the car is made) in 2016/2017.
I had heard that too. I still haven't seen anything solid on 2015 being the last MY, but with GM's blatant disinterest, I would not be surprised if there is no 2016 SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Still haven't seen one in the wild yet. I hope my local dealer will have one to test drive once the Manual version is available.
Might want to call around before you do that (obviously that won't be before next spring but still), and make sure you go somewhere that will let you have a go at it. A lot of dealerships are treating it like it's a P1 or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Haha, I hate GM's love of chrome wheels. I've looked at the ATS a few times and those damned wheels just kill it for me.

At least they're slowly moving away from vinyl roofs.
Vinyl tops are not a factory option. Those are dealers stuck in the past putting vinyl tops on the vehicles.

What's worse is when they put the Cadillac's with the vinyl roof in a prominent position for everyone driving by to see. It's like they want to die with the customers. It's stupid and I can't believe GM hasn't done anything about it. If a customer wants a vinyl top done, have it done on a car by car basis. But don't go put it on before it being sold and then have it in your main display.......

As for the topic on hand, I have seen one SS and will be dying most likely when the Holden plant shutters.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Why did they have to all Taurus on the SS? The G8 was SEXY. This is just plain sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Hmm looks like a mundane parking assist demo done with a '14 but upon closer inspection, MRC control is present, rear Brembos are present, stupid silly plastic fake 5-pt harness trim is gone, revised license plate mounting area, all as promised.... Looks like he's shifting a manual....

This must be a 2015, first I've seen one in pics or video.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:34 AM   #21
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Nope, that is a standard feature on the '14 SS. The '15 SS has everything that the '14 does but what is listed in the 1st post is what they are adding for the '15 model year. Except the 6 spd version won't have it because, well, they are manuals.

Just go to youtube and type in something like, 2014 SS parking assist and you'll see videos from months ago when the car was just being delivered to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i don't know a single person who would want this car. Its looking like a economy car!
Appreciate 0