F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Direction of "M" Division
proTUNING Freaks

10-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
so an enthusiast can't like a "heavy" car? i don't follow the logic...
The post below yours pretty much sums up my point... but the M just seems like it's a huge BMW now. 3700 lbs for a car badged as a motorsport car? That's ridiculous. Another point made before was that it is just a status symbol now. The M has taken a long, different path from the original E30 M3. A lot of people would agree that's when the M was more than a badge.

Obviously car makers have to move with the times but it feels like the M has lost its luster.
      10-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Gran Coupe

Part of me loves the direction they are going in, the other part thinks they should keep the M cars light and focused. Perhaps have a subset of M with lightweight, not necessarily super-powerful cars, and call them CSLs...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #25
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSpecC View Post
Part of me loves the direction they are going in, the other part thinks they should keep the M cars light and focused. Perhaps have a subset of M with lightweight, not necessarily super-powerful cars, and call them CSLs...
I honestly couldn't care less about having an ///M badge on the car. I was thrilled to hear news of the 135tii and potential 335tii and bmw models actually designed for track use. Big brakes, stiffer suspension, lightweight wheels and beefy tires, manual sport seats designed for harnesses... If they actually come through with delivering them to the public though I'll be surprised.