F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 328i brake malfunction
GetBMWParts

04-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #45
richreg3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW XI sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayax View Post
Camshaft for what?
SA said that it is the camshaft connected to the vacuum pump. I do not know what it is neither.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #46
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Anyone in the US that has experienced this should file a report on the NHTSA website. If you're not in the US, I would guess that your government would have a similar agency. Multiple reports of this type of serious failure (loss of power assist to the brakes) in a new car can trigger the NHTSA to demand an investigation by the manufacturer, and can potentially lead to a safety recall. Filing an official report with the NHTSA can have far more impact than complaining to your dealer or to BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
you can analyze it right now. however, at the time everything was happening it was a quick decisions. smartest decision? probably not but it saved my life. so I can't argue against it. and yes long downhill and in the area of north jersey that i live in yes there are many of them. and it did level. the brakes did not completely fail but it felt as if they weren't even doing anything. I mean if people want to accuse me of bullshitting then please go ahead. I mean i love driving brand new loaner cars into trees....
That's true. When sh*t is happening it can happen quickly and often we don't make the best decision, I've been there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #48
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Anyone in the US that has experienced this should file a report on the NHTSA website. If you're not in the US, I would guess that your government would have a similar agency. Multiple reports of this type of serious failure (loss of power assist to the brakes) in a new car can trigger the NHTSA to demand an investigation by the manufacturer, and can potentially lead to a safety recall. Filing an official report with the NHTSA can have far more impact than complaining to your dealer or to BMWNA.
That is an excellent suggestion and people with a failure should really follow through on this. It's very easy to do.
Just go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Or go to the main site and select 'file a complaint', it's at the right top yellow diamond selection.

Brake failure is a serious life threatening condition and the very kind of thing the NHTSA can force a recall on.
Even though BMW is honoring their warranty and fixing the problem, this issue needs an actual recall. BMW needs to identify the problem, come up with a fix, and apply that fix to all cars affected even if they haven't failed or have not yet failed.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #49
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That is an excellent suggestion and people with a failure should really follow through on this. It's very easy to do.
Just go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Or go to the main site and select 'file a complaint', it's at the right top yellow diamond selection.

Brake failure is a serious life threatening condition and the very kind of thing the NHTSA can force a recall on.
Even though BMW is honoring their warranty and fixing the problem, this issue needs an actual recall. BMW needs to identify the problem, come up with a fix, and apply that fix to all cars affected even if they haven't failed or have not yet failed.
We don't even know that the OP actually experienced this. Everybody else has had complaints of the brakes "not feeling right". That is very different from actual brake failure.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #50
rado
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
We don't even know that the OP actually experienced this. Everybody else has had complaints of the brakes "not feeling right". That is very different from actual brake failure.
All the reports, including the posted repair order, sound consistent with loss of some or all power assist to the brakes, which would give a "hard pedal" and would feel like most or all braking is lost (you have to press *really hard* on the pedal to get braking when you lose all vacuum to a power-assisted brake system).

But regardless of what any of us thinks about the veracity of these reports, my advise stands that anyone that experiences a malfunction or failure in a new car that results in an unsafe condition should provide an accurate description of their experience to the NHTSA; it's up the NHTSA to review the reports, assess the seriousness of the risk, look for trends, and call for a formal investigation when appropriate. Loss of power assist to the brakes definitely qualifies as an unsafe condition. OTOH, don't bother reporting squealing brakes, dashboard rattles, or a minor steering vibration, leave those to the dealer and BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
All the reports, including the posted repair order, sound consistent with loss of some or all power assist to the brakes, which would give a "hard pedal" and would feel like most or all braking is lost (you have to press *really hard* on the pedal to get braking when you lose all vacuum to a power-assisted brake system).

But regardless of what any of us thinks about the veracity of these reports, my advise stands that anyone that experiences a malfunction or failure in a new car that results in an unsafe condition should provide an accurate description of their experience to the NHTSA; it's up the NHTSA to review the reports, assess the seriousness of the risk, look for trends, and call for a formal investigation when appropriate. Loss of power assist to the brakes definitely qualifies as an unsafe condition. OTOH, don't bother reporting squealing brakes, dashboard rattles, or a minor steering vibration, leave those to the dealer and BMWNA.
Completely agree, but again I'm not convinced the OP was being completely truthful. I mean come on, guy who happens to have a loaner happens to have his brakes go out when he happens to be at the top of a hill? And then he tokyo drifts the thing into a tree sideways? I have tried getting my tires to lock up with my ebrake and I don't really think that's going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #52
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
I agree. OP, post up pictures of the wreck. Sorry to accuse you but your story doesn't make sense.
as requested. and i am not making up stories...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #53
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
as requested. and i am not making up stories...
I wasn't intending to insinuate that there wasn't actually a wreck, I meant the sequence of events didn't sound logical. Do you have a pictures of the area around it, skid marks, etc...

Last edited by ScarecrowBoat; 04-29-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
I wasn't intending to insinuate that there wasn't actually a wreck, I meant the sequence of events didn't sound logical. Do you have a pictures of the area around it, skid marks, etc...
I personally do not but the police officers who responded to the accident do. Sure it sounds shady but I wouldn't try to fly down a hill in a residential area with a loaner car..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #55
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Ok, so something similar happened to me the other day and it has only happened that one time.

I was racing an E60 M5 (V10 sound was ) and I was on his tail the first 50 meters but he then quickly flew away. Anyway, I hit around 220 km/h (140) mph before trying to slow down as I had to make it onto an off-ramp. This was slightly downhill. I hit the brake pedal, NOTHING, itīs rock hard and no bite. I was already turning but quickly realized I wasnt gonna make it so a split-second decision was made and I just kept goin straight on the freeway. My speed was now around 180 km/h (110 mph) and then quickly decreasing as the car was just rolling. A few sesconds later, brake function restored. Had it bit initially I would have had no problem decelerating enough to make it, Iīve tried them before and know how good they bite.

I got the Euro M Sport brakes (same as the M Performance Brakes), what do u guys have?

And another question to all of you that experienced this: Has it happened on some occasions or has it been a constant issue? To me, it happened this one time...

EDIT: And if its the cylinder-thing, would I notice anything now or can it still function properly?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #56
hjs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Also failed brakes...

Hi everyone. I just got the 328i a couple of weeks ago. My brakes failed and I hit another car. I am leasing the car. I want to take it to BMW for them to check it out.

I am wondering if this is a good idea. Will they be honest with me? I feel like they may just lie to me so they dont have to pay for the accident and pay for all the repairs. Or should I just take it to a brake place and see if something is definitely wrong and bring in the proof.

Would love to know what you think! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #57
rado
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjs View Post
Hi everyone. I just got the 328i a couple of weeks ago. My brakes failed and I hit another car. I am leasing the car. I want to take it to BMW for them to check it out.

I am wondering if this is a good idea. Will they be honest with me? I feel like they may just lie to me so they dont have to pay for the accident and pay for all the repairs. Or should I just take it to a brake place and see if something is definitely wrong and bring in the proof.

Would love to know what you think! Thanks!
Personally, I'd take it to the dealership. The cost of repair wouldn't come out of the dealer's pocket, it would come from BMW. Do you trust the service department at your local dealership? Sure, they might recommend an oil change or air filter replacement when it's not really necessary, but that's a far cry from finding a serious problem, fixing it, and then lying about it, or worse yet, finding a problem, not fixing it, and claiming the problem didn't exist (leaving the possibility of another accident). I just don't think an independent dealership would want to take that sort of risk, why would they?
Appreciate 0