E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Please help somebody who has no idea (re: upgrading stereo)

10-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
melo fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Question Please help somebody who has no idea (re: upgrading stereo)

Hey, I'm sorry if this isn't thread worthy, but I just got a lot of questions about upgrading my stock radio. I really haven't posted here in a while, but I recently bought my car (which I had been leasing the last 3 years) and I want to change out the stereo. (I currently have all base/stock everything).

I'm looking for something with Bluetooth (music and phone), iPod connectivity and preferably a touch screen.

Okay so the last few weeks I've been researching and I've come across these:
-The Dynavin E9X. At first glance this seems like an amazing unit. I mean everything looks amazing, looks like it was factory installed and has every function. However I've read a lot of people on this board complain about it. It costs more than what I wanted to spend on just the unit too. If someone would tell me if it's reliable and will be a nice addition, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy it. (Also what do you think it'd cost to get this installed? I might be able to do it myself, but I don't want to risk it).

-Kenwood 50W in Dash Deck (link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=4769551). I saw this one in person and it's a nice unit for a really good price. It does everything I want it to. My concern is that it might look out of place in my car. Not only do I not want an eye soar, but I don't want something to attract potential thieves. It's worth noting that I'd get this one from BestBuy and have their geeksquad install it. There's also the cost of the brackets and stuff. And they're charging a lot to get the steering wheel functions.

Then there are these:
Sony: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+5...&skuId=5512978

Pioneer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=4921757

Both of which I have the same benefits/concerns as with the Kenwood.

There's also the Pioneer App Radio 2 (for $500), which I've read some bad reviews on but has a really nice interface and is a clean looking unit. I don't know if anyone has anything to say about that. (link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...adio&cp=1&lp=1)

And finally there's Eonon which makes a unit like Dynavin, but I haven't heard much about it and I'm skeptical to say the least because it looks sketchy (the actual unit looks beautiful, I mean the company and interface in general). (link: http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specifi...GPS/D5114.html)

For reference, my system currently looks like this (minus the seat heater buttons):

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this, how does changing the stereo effect my warranty? From what I understand they obviously don't cover the stereo anymore, but I also heard that they could not cover any electrical problems I could have which seems pretty serious. Is that true? Am I risking too much doing this? (I have a year left under warranty)

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post, I would totally understand "TL;DR" lol. And if this isn't thread worthy, I apologize, but I really need some help/input.

Last edited by melo fan; 10-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: forgot
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

do you really need to "upgrade"?

if you just need bluetooth, you should go for something like the parrot

i have the Eonon, is a piece of sh.. and is a really pain in the ass modified everything, including relocated the heated seat switch to the ashtray.

Either Eonon and Dynavin, fit perfect, at the bottom doesnt flush at all and looks wierd

if i was you, and you want a have better sound, i would replace the speakers, subs, amp, but not the head unit
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
cschmelz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaNYC View Post

i have the Eonon, is a piece of sh.. and is a really pain in the ass modified everything, including relocated the heated seat switch to the ashtray.

Either Eonon and Dynavin, fit perfect, at the bottom doesnt flush at all and looks wierd

if i was you, and you want a have better sound, i would replace the speakers, subs, amp, but not the head unit
I'd second this. Head unit delivers fine sound, it is the speakers/amps that need upgrading. I went with the MusicarNW Level 2 (plus DSP) system and have been extremely impressed with it. Put the money into what makes the sound!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaNYC View Post

I'd second this. Head unit delivers fine sound, it is the speakers/amps that need upgrading. I went with the MusicarNW Level 2 (plus DSP) system and have been extremely impressed with it. Put the money into what makes the sound!
What DSP did you go for?

OP relocating your head unit can cause software updating issues amongst other things. Have a read of the "relocating hu" section of the audio sticky.
Appreciate 0