BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
If you have iPod and USB, I think you already have Bluetooth but it just isn't turned on:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660738
Exactly...all you need is the blue tooth antenna and speaker cable.
      11-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Depending on which logic unit you have for the ipod and USB connectivity.

You can tell which you have by whether a regular iphone cable works, or whether you need the special BMW y-cable.

Some of the threads linked above tell you how to interpret that, which will dictate the steps to adding bluetooth.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
rudyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe

Bumping - I have an early MY '11 (without the tweeters) 128 w/ USB/iPod installed but no bluetooth. The radio and HVAC seem to be having issues: radio loses all volume, HVAC and radio power 'die' for a few seconds, etc.

So, I may be getting a new head unit. Just wondering if it makes sense to see if I can get the headunit with bluetooth, or if my car probably already has bluetooth and I just need the proper wiring harness for the mic / antenna?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
verdespider
verdespider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Hey Rudyr,

It sounds like you have something else going on that swapping the head unit will not remedy. Did you hear about the recall for the 128i which is related to dash losing power momentarily? It has something to do with the battery connector and sounds like this could be the issue you're having. You should be bring the car into the dealer to have it checked.

As for adding bluetooth, it was a 16 month journey for me to add it, which included ordering a wire harness kit from Romania. The first thing you need to check is the version of the combox that is installed in your car. According to my service tech, there are 2 combox versions for the 2011 128i, one has bluetooth and the other doesn't. If you do indeed have the bluetooth version, you will need to have the car programmed to activate phone support and find a Microphone, Antenna and wire harness to connect them to the existing combox. I found a BMW upgrade kit that had everything and simply needed some pins to be swapped in the main connector - works great & looks completely stock. I don't think any BMW tech would ever notice that it isn't stock, apart from the fact that I have bluetooth in my US Spec car without having SOS - something BMW NA will not allow.

Also, I had originally bought a mObridge unit that worked, but not perfectly. This could be another option that will offer bluetooth capability. I have it still and anyone interested in buying it simply needs to make an offer. :-)

Hope this helps...
-Charles
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
rudyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe

Thanks for the response. I'll also PM you after this post. I did have the recall done, which I thought was maybe the reason for this issue. However, it happened again the day after the recall. In fact, previously I only had issues with the radio/hvac going momentarily dead (once the whole car shut down...per the recall warning).

However, post-recall the radio volume started cutting out all together. We'll see, it's interesting how many different variants of components BMW uses just in the same model/model year!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
fares52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Rudyr,
I'm in a similar situation as you although I have an e90. Not prepped for BT but I successfully got the car coded for BT and I was able to pair my Phone. I'm just trying to figure out now how to connect the Mic. I tried pinning it to the empty slots in the harness located at the back of my combox (25, 12, 11) but it didn't work. May I ask where you got your harness and materials to connect the Mic wire?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0