2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum First Drive: BMW 535D

09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

First Drive: BMW 535D

Updated: 2013-09-06

I have uploaded photos on my iCloud site. All these photos are taken using an iPhone and are from the last 2 days.

And as the weather gods have not been favourable, its raining today - so no chance to take photos with a proper camera. I'll try and take some pictures with a proper camera (and hopefully at a proper site with a half-decent background) once the sun is up (next few days).

Meanwhile, have a look at the photos.
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A359UlCqi0JLi
__________________________________________________ ____

Updated: 2013-09-05

Car being detailed today. Here is a picture of the car after an initial wash. Another picture of the wheel after a coating.

Photo 1

Photo 2

[Edited: Links moved to the same iCloud site above. See the update comments above, original photos included in the same]

Updated: 2013-09-04

Car being detailed today & tomorrow, but managed to play with few things.
1. iPhone Siri works like a charm. Press and Hold the Voice Command button, and the request goes to Apple Siri. Responses are via the speakers, the display on the phone does not change. Siri does behave differently compared to using it directly on the iPhone. E.g. Asking Siri about 'How busy am I tomorrow', it responds by speaking 'You have x number of appointments. Do you want to hear more details?'. Say Yes and Siri details each appointment with time, etc... Very nice implementation.

2. BMW Apps integration work very well. I played around with Glympse and the user interface is very similar to what the app shows on the iPhone. Just shows that the integration with apps is built on solid design, I'm looking forward to more apps in the future.

3. EcoPro Assistant works quite well. It tells me when to step off the gas because the exit (from a motorway) is close enough. I have not been able find the option for 'Coasting' though - it is not under Configure EcoPro. Do not know whether ths is enabled on 535 or only on lower models. Need to RTM.

Updated: 2013-09-03

Picked up my new 535D (the real deal, the 313 hp UK model) saloon today morning from the dealership. Car is Callisto Grey with Oyster/Black interior.

Options:
- Luxury Line
- Sport Auto Box with Paddles
- Navigation professional
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Variable Damper Control
- Head Up Display
- Comfort Seats
- Comfort Access
- Active Security Pack
- Advanced Parking Pack
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Speed Limit Info
- Multi Function display (6WB)
- Enhanced Bluetooth
- Connected Drive Services
- Power Boot Lid
- Harmon/Kardon speakers

All my comparisons are with a May 2012 F10 saloon model.

First Impression:
- Great colour, Callisto Grey really sparkles in the sun. Quite different from Space Grey. It actually has a greenish/ bronze tinge. I earlier had the Sophisto Grey and think I like this one better (a very personal opinion).

The ride is definitely firmer on the LCI and the steering seems to be a bit more tighter. Have not driven long enough to comment fully, but initial impressions are that the LCI seems stiffer and more direct than the previous car.

- Drive: The 535d is very smooth (and quick). The brakes too are great (compared to my earlier 520, this beast does stop quickly - got to do with bigger brakes)

- Interior: The exclusive leather stitch looks good. the Comfort seats are heaven-sent. The number of adjustments are far too many. HUD is brilliant, more colours now and more information in HUD including entertainment details, etc… Multi function instrument cluster is another great feature - very quick and sharp display. The 10.2” navigation professional screen too is very sharp; speed is greatly improved. Maps are very (I say very) quick and general user interface is very smooth, animations are speedy, display is super sharp, text is clear & crisp. Touch-pad on the iDrive controller works very well, I actually like the larger rotary controller (more meaty and more tactile feel). Detail on the maps is very good. Advanced RTTI is working well too, loads of information can now be seen on the maps (there is no need to switch to Traffic Map now - the main maps can show everything).

- LED Adaptive Light:
The variable light distribution works like a charm, very very slick. The videos on You tube are absolutely spot-on. The system does work like it says.
I am not sure if the lights are brighter than my previous Xenons, but they are definitely whiter and smoother. I’m glad I took the LED. The squarish DRL rings look super cool, and are quite bright. Very much a different presence to the Xenons.

- Park Assist:
Have not tried the Auto Park feature yet, but the Surround and Reverse Cameras are very good. Worth the price.

- Active Cruise Control/Active Security/ Lane Change/
Works very effectively. Only tried for a short while on the motorway, but great to have a relaxed drive. Active Cruise Control works very well. The car also warns of imminent collisions in city driving and will auto brake (have not tested fully, but did feel the brakes pre-tighten when I pressed the brake pedal). need to test a bit more and get used to the features.

- The car goes for a professional detailing job tomorrow; will be back in 2 days.

More details then… Hopefully, along with some photos.

Last edited by gspannu; 09-06-2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Updated Day 4
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Congratulations on your new ride! I've heard such great accolades about that real 535d, that it would have been a no-brainier for me if they brought it to the U.S. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Congratulations on the new car!

I used the ACC properly yesterday for the first time and it took so much stress and annoyance out of the constantly changing speed on the M25, and into the roadworks where the traffic can be very stop start, it was a dream! Just set it to the car in front and relax!

So pleased with the car as a whole!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Congratulations!! The car sounds wonderful in every way! I'm anxious to get mine in a few weeks...granted, it's not the "true" 535d you guys get on the other side of the pond.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
drnat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats - glad you are enjoying.

Not tried my adaptive LEDs yet - still with dealership :-)

How do you find the seating with confort seats? Mine (from the brief time spent in it) seems to sit high compared to the M5 with multi-function seats & compared to the pre-LCI standard seats that have driven? I feel I am sitting on the car, rather than in it?

Glad you are enjoying - another week without my her - awaiting a new LED light unit & on back order!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Congratulations, waiting to see the pictures!

Are you planning on doing any coding and if so, presume you'll be using the latest PSDZdata files and latest E-SYS?

Could you post up some pictures of the HUD, intereted to see what changes they have made there. (I know if you upgraded integration levels and did some coding you get the entertainement list and mobile info) so thats presumably there now by default.
Are turn indicators in the HUD now or still not present?

Whats being completed as regards the detailing, was teh cars paintwork ok when you picked it up or did it have minor imperfections?

Be interested ot see what you think of it all once you've put some more miles on, and obviosuly once run in, what the performance is like.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post
Congrats - glad you are enjoying.

Not tried my adaptive LEDs yet - still with dealership :-)

How do you find the seating with confort seats? Mine (from the brief time spent in it) seems to sit high compared to the M5 with multi-function seats & compared to the pre-LCI standard seats that have driven? I feel I am sitting on the car, rather than in it?

Glad you are enjoying - another week without my her - awaiting a new LED light unit & on back order!
You are correct. The seats do seem to sit a bit higher. Am enjoying the car, was at a detailer today. Should be done by Friday.
      09-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Will be coding it once its back from the detailer.

Yes, Entertainment details are in HUD (by default), but no Turn Signals in HUD. These will have to be coded.

Regarding Detailing, I just get my new cars detailed anyway. Takes away the minor imperfections (if any; there are usually loads!) and then I get it coated with Opti-Guard (professional version of Opti-Coat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Congratulations, waiting to see the pictures!

Are you planning on doing any coding and if so, presume you'll be using the latest PSDZdata files and latest E-SYS?

Could you post up some pictures of the HUD, intereted to see what changes they have made there. (I know if you upgraded integration levels and did some coding you get the entertainement list and mobile info) so thats presumably there now by default.
Are turn indicators in the HUD now or still not present?

Whats being completed as regards the detailing, was teh cars paintwork ok when you picked it up or did it have minor imperfections?

Be interested ot see what you think of it all once you've put some more miles on, and obviosuly once run in, what the performance is like.
      09-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated Post #1 with some more bits from today's experience...
      09-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Sjoerd
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: MY18 G11 750i, MY13 911S x51m7

Congrats!

Hopefully I will get mine next month (ordered in June )
      09-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated Post #1 with some photos ...
      09-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Looks lovely. I'm wincing at the cost of all that though... around 60 grand (£). You're a shade off the exclusivity of a Gran Coupe for that.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 09-05-2013 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

thats a really really nice colour , and love the look of those LED lights.
Dying to see pictures once all of the detailing is finished. Shame the weather takes a dive after today so I think it'll be wet when you retake delivery of it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
thats a really really nice colour , and love the look of those LED lights.
Dying to see pictures once all of the detailing is finished. Shame the weather takes a dive after today so I think it'll be wet when you retake delivery of it again.
True. The weather is going to take a dive tomorrow. We've finished the detailing and opti-coating. The car is outside now (in the sun) getting a nice hot bake. Warm weather helps the Opti-Coat bond quicker (otherwise it can take around 8-12 hours). The car will be ready by today evening.

I can take some pictures right now, but its outside a warehouse, not a great background for pictures; and I don't have my camera with me (only my iPhone). Will put up a few pics soon anyway...
      09-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

congratulations, the car looks stunning, looking forward to some more pics, especially the updated HUD.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Gator_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

If Callisto Grey was available on the M Sport, I might have chosen it. Looks nice. Kind of between Space Grey and Dark Graphite it seems...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Really liking the colour and I wish I could have ordered those wheels!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
swalsh2333
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive4.0i

Love the color also. Nice choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
Tiberivs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Awesome looking car. I agree color looks really nice. They didnt offer it with msport though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, The Callisto Grey colour does look quite good. It is between Space Grey & Sophisto Grey and has a bit of bronze feel to it (under the sun) and darker when it is cloudy.

The wheels are the same that were first offered on the Active Hybrids - but are now available for the Luxury edition as well.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.
      09-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #21
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated Post #1 with some photos ...
      09-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP & F15 X5 35D

congrats! I recently test drove A6 3.0TDI and I am quite curious to see how 535D feels like compare to the 3.0TDI.
Appreciate 0