ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #45
mil405
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoffman9 View Post
I am currently in Miami. I'm going to call around and see who has the M3 in stock. I think this is the next step - seeing the car in person (regardless of what color the dealership has). Once I observe the car maybe then I can start eliminating some of my options. I do appreciate all of your posts so far, all of you have very valid points. For the people yet to post who read this - Please keep in mind I have a "loud" blue car now in the RS4. That DOES NOT mean I wouldn't go with YMB. I am just gathering opinions. Above ANYTHING else….I want people to know when they see the vehicle from up close or far away - "Wow, that's definitely an M car."

Until I respond again on this thread - Let's hypothetically say White is the color to go with. Mineral or Alpine???? I have ruled out black (any black). While it looks very rich it's tough to keep clean (to say the least haha) and it does hide some of the lines IMO. Please keep giving me your thoughts, it is GREATLY appreciated.
Vista BMW in Coconut Creek had a MW M3 and a YMB M4 last time I was there, not sure what Braman in Miami has.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #46
phear_me
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I went with black/black/black (exterior/interior/wheels). Only downside is the carbon fiber roof does not stand out as much, but it's more subtle. If you want a car that's murderous, steely eyed, and all business triple black is the way to go.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=938466&page=5
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #47
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Considering you already have a blue and black car, I would definitely get the Alpine White, it's one of BMW's best colors (much like black is one of Audi's). It will also contrast very nicely with the roof and all the other carbon fiber parts.

YMB is awful, IMO, and you already have a blue car.
Mineral Gray is very boring and unsporty for this car. Get Silverstone or Moonstone if you you want to go gray.
Sapphire Black I like, but you already have a car that wears black, and wears it better.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #48
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

AW, MW, and Silverstone are the best exterior colors on this car IMO. Granted, I'm going mostly by pics.

I saw two YMB in person in the last few days, on top of the one I saw in Detroit in Jan. Saw a YMB M3 in my dealer showroom Fri, and a YMB M4 on the road Sat. It looked good but ... meh, I definitely don't regret not ordering it. The Estoril Blue 328i in the showroom looked better IMO. YMB also really stood out on the road, I'm not one that likes to stand out from afar.

Also saw a SO at the dealer, parked outside. Doesn't do it for me, I would much rather have a traditional red option. My order is an AW M3 w/ full black leather, FWIW.

Last edited by Walt Dockery; 07-14-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #49
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
AW, MW, and Silverstone are the best exterior colors on this car IMO. Granted, I'm going mostly by pics.

I saw two YMB in person in the last few days, on top of the one I saw in Detroit in Jan. Saw a YMB M3 in my dealer showroom Fri, and a YMB M4 on the road Sat. It looked good but ... meh, I definitely don't regret not getting it. The Estoril Blue 328i in the showroom looked better IMO. YMB also really stood out on the road, I'm not one that likes to stand out from afar.

Also saw a SO at the dealer, parked outside. Doesn't do it for me, I would much rather have a traditional red option.
Agree, wish estoril and a real red like imola or Melbourne was available.

What did you think of mw vs aw in person?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #50
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Agree, wish estoril and a real red like imola or Melbourne was available.

What did you think of mw vs aw in person?
My order is AW btw ... if there was imola red or estoril blue available, I probably would have gone w/ one of those. I'm not willing to pay for the individual program, though.

I have not seen an AW or MW M3/M4 in person (my dealer had YMB, SO, and Black, I didn't pay much attention to the black, I mainly went by to look at the YMB).

I have seen AW and MW on 328/335s. Personally, I think I prefer AW, but it is a tough choice. On Friday in the showroom, I walked back and forth between an AW and MW several times (the AW was a 3-series sedan, the MW was the awful 3-series Gran Turismo, I tried to focus on just the paint w/o letting that get in the way). People say MW is "girly" like the pearls from say Lexus or on the Escalade, that really isn't the case. MW is really just looks like metallic version of AW, a little more silvery, but it doesn't add a noticeable pink or yellow hue like most of the "pearls" out there. AW pops a bit more as a white. I tend to like my whites to be, well, white, so I like AW, although there are some other makers that tend to have better whites IMO (Range Rover and Volvo both make whites that really stand out as white, to my eyes). There's also a MW 3-series parked around the corner from my office most days, and I take a look every time I go by it.

I think you need to look at both in person, but honestly, both AW and MW look good. In certain lighting environments you can barely tell the difference if not parked side by side. Most casual observers can't tell the difference ... I saw a MW 3-series on the road recently, and asked my girlfriend "what do you think of that metallic white, vs. the more stark white like I ordered", she looked at me like I was an idiot for asking and said "it looks white".

Last edited by Walt Dockery; 07-14-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #51
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Then maybe you should choose an "M" distinct color. White, black, silver, and gray are available on any BMW. SO, AY, and YMB, for example, are not.
Wouldn't Silverstone also fit your given POV?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #52
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi RS5 | 2015 BMW M3

Thank you for all of your responses and opinions. It means a lot (but has also driven me crazy haha) because there is such a wide range of opinions, and naturally so. The car looks good or great in most colors. Here is an update of where I'm at. I went to BMW Fort Lauderdale yesterday, as they have a MG M3 in stock. The dealership was incredibly nice and let me test drive the car right away (even though I will be ordering in 2-4 months). I must say the MG looked better in person than I imagined. It has a very mean presence to it. This vehicle has the black 19's, CF roof, etc. It was dressed the right way for sure.

It seems that very few stores in South Florida have these cars and if they do, they're all white. For those of you who have recommended ordering a non M3 factory BMW color, that is not where I want to go. While it would be cool, I really want to choose one of the colors they have provided for the M3. I also don't want to spend the money on a different color because of all the IND/aftermarkets I'm going to be spending the money on.

I have pondered Silverstone, as I think it looks amazing on the new M's, but I had a silver C63 for a while. It was beautiful and easy to keep clean but it never really wowed me (I sold the car after a year). At this point, I am considering the MG, YMB, and AW. I have yet to see AW and YMB in person. That will be my next step. I also plan to keep this car for quite some time (maybe even buy it after the lease is up) so a lot of thought is going into this.

I will be returning to Connecticut next week I believe. If any of you know dealers up there who have YMB and AW (YMB especially), please let me know. That is the color I'm most curious about. Again, I appreciate all of the feedback and for those of you who already have your new M's - I'm very jealous. The car was a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #53
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoffman9 View Post
Thank you for all of your responses and opinions. It means a lot (but has also driven me crazy haha) because there is such a wide range of opinions, and naturally so. The car looks good or great in most colors. Here is an update of where I'm at. I went to BMW Fort Lauderdale yesterday, as they have a MG M3 in stock. The dealership was incredibly nice and let me test drive the car right away (even though I will be ordering in 2-4 months). I must say the MG looked better in person than I imagined. It has a very mean presence to it. This vehicle has the black 19's, CF roof, etc. It was dressed the right way for sure.

It seems that very few stores in South Florida have these cars and if they do, they're all white. For those of you who have recommended ordering a non M3 factory BMW color, that is not where I want to go. While it would be cool, I really want to choose one of the colors they have provided for the M3. I also don't want to spend the money on a different color because of all the IND/aftermarkets I'm going to be spending the money on.

I have pondered Silverstone, as I think it looks amazing on the new M's, but I had a silver C63 for a while. It was beautiful and easy to keep clean but it never really wowed me (I sold the car after a year). At this point, I am considering the MG, YMB, and AW. I have yet to see AW and YMB in person. That will be my next step. I also plan to keep this car for quite some time (maybe even buy it after the lease is up) so a lot of thought is going into this.

I will be returning to Connecticut next week I believe. If any of you know dealers up there who have YMB and AW (YMB especially), please let me know. That is the color I'm most curious about. Again, I appreciate all of the feedback and for those of you who already have your new M's - I'm very jealous. The car was a pleasure to drive.
I was undecided about the color as well... then saw AW here locally and loved it. The only color i didn't see is SO... but i think AW is safer bet.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #54
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm in the same boat OP. Tending toward YMB, but it seems the risky choice. AW has always been one of my favorite BMW colors; cheaper, practical, boring -- in Germany it's referred to by Appliance terms. MG looks good with CF and has an air of respectability. It is cryptic and blends in with the masses. On the road in traffic you become invisible. BSM is similar. So back to YMB. I think it looks best at night and in cloudy conditions. Unless you live in southern/mediterranean climes (FLA, CA), where it fits right in, especially with SS interior. I'm starting to consider AY with black wheels & interior as it would be a U of Missouri colors fit, but that is a bit too weird a reason. For driving around europe YMB is the clear winner for me. Little concerned about standing out too much once I get it back to Missouri though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #55
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I'm in the same boat OP. Tending toward YMB, but it seems the risky choice. AW has always been one of my favorite BMW colors; cheaper, practical, boring -- in Germany it's referred to by Appliance terms. MG looks good with CF and has an air of respectability. It is cryptic and blends in with the masses. On the road in traffic you become invisible. BSM is similar. So back to YMB. I think it looks best at night and in cloudy conditions. Unless you live in southern/mediterranean climes (FLA, CA), where it fits right in, especially with SS interior. I'm starting to consider AY with black wheels & interior as it would be a U of Missouri colors fit, but that is a bit too weird a reason. For driving around europe YMB is the clear winner for me. Little concerned about standing out too much once I get it back to Missouri though.
You can dooooo it!!!! You'll be the only kid on the block with one.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #56
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerfan1963 View Post
You can dooooo it!!!! You'll be the only kid on the block with one.
Until you drive through...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #57
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep

Alright everyone--This is it. I have finally made my decision (and it took long enough huh?). Below is my power listing for every factory color in this car with my reasoning for each. I will be ordering Yas Marina Blue with Black Merino Interior. I hope this helps some of you in your decision. Everything below is my opinion of course, so if you ordered the color at the bottom of my list, please don't be offended. These are my thoughts : )

1. Yas Marina Blue - The reason why this is a clear winner for me is because it is one of the most unique factory colors the M3 has ever had. It is loud, of course, but has a presence that most cars don't. You just can't help but be drawn to it. In my decision to get this color (ordering in September most likely), I told myself "you're getting an M car and if you don't get this color it will haunt you forever." That is how I feel about the color itself. Pure. It also looks amazing in a number of different lights. You simply can't go wrong with this color. A lot of people are ordering it, but it's for a reason...

2. Mineral Grey - I have a few friends who have Space Grey E92's and I think Mineral Grey is better looking, especially in person. It comes off as mean and unforgiving. I think it definitely belongs on the F80 rather than the F82. It is somewhat understated but means nothing but business. I can't tell you all how close I was to choosing this color. Black wheels/carbon fiber accents are a must for this color. Even if you don't dress it that way, the car is mean regardless.

3. Silverstone Metallic - This was my wildcard choice. I wrote in one of my posts above that I had a silver C63 for a year and it bored me, but Silverstone truly is different. I think this color works better for the F82, but is beautiful none the less. It's clean and fresh, but is still aggressive in my opinion. There's a reason why it's still around. The only reason why it won't be on my new car is because at the end of the day, it's still silver.

4. Alpine White - What's an M car without Alpine White? I had an E46 for 2 years in silver and ALWAYS wanted that car in Alpine white. Every time I saw it I cried (not literally kids). There is true value in this color as it's a bright balloon white and has amazing contrast with the CF roof. Dress it up with a nice set of wheels and boom - you have a beautfiful car. It is the "safe" pick. You simply can't go wrong with this color.

5. Black Sapphire Metallic - Almost every car i've ever had (with the exception of 2 or 3) have been black. This color to me is so much better than Jerez Black and really has a nice metallic effect. I pondered getting this color and blacking out the entire car, but then realized I live in Connecticut. While I will always maintain my cars, black does require a bit more work in the Northeast, especially with the dirt and such. If I lived in Florida/Texas/California - this would possibly be in the running. Not in Arizona though because of those rocks flying on the highway (Lived there for 7 years).

6. Sakhir Orange Metallic - I understand most of you probably have this color higher on your own lists, but let's be real. It's not Imola Red or Melbourne Red, for that matter. If the F80 was offered in either of those 2 colors, we'd be talking a bit differently. I especially loved the E92 in Melbourne with the CF Roof. What a look that was. My main critique is that the car has an "Orange" in its title, but looks more Red. I believe the color looks much better in the F82.

7. Mineral White Metallic - For those looking for the "Metallic", this car definitely has it. For those that are more familiar with Audi colors (Yes, I know this is a BMW Forum, but I'm trying to help everyone!), it's like talking Ibis White vs. Glacier White, but imagine the Glacier white having WAY more Metallic in it. This is a very nice color, I saw it today in the F82. IMO, looks 100% better in the F82 than the F80. The word I would use to describe this color is "rich."

8. Austin Yellow Metallic - Ohhhhhh the cousin to Phoenix Yellow. When I had my E46 I was very intrigued by Phoenix Yellow. I think if you dress this car up the right way (black accents, etc.) then you'll have a very good looking car. I could be happy owning this color…….for about 6 months max, then it would be time to sell. Now, if this car was offered in Dakar Yellow, it would be right at the top competing with Yas Marina Blue. Wait….I'm mad this car isn't offered in Dakar Yellow. Damn I love that color.

I hope this review will help some of you. They're all very nice colors. I really don't think there's an ugly color quite honestly. Everyone of course is entitled to their own opinions. I do want to thank all of you who posted in this thread to help me make my decision. It means a lot to me. Once I get the car, the pictures will be posted ASAP. Fast and safe driving to you all.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #58
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

We will be twins (YMB/Black). FWIW, I agree more or less completely with your assessment -- a truly interesting assortment of color choices, forcing us out of tradition what with the absence of an Imola red or Interlagos Blue...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #59
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
We will be twins (YMB/Black). FWIW, I agree more or less completely with your assessment -- a truly interesting assortment of color choices, forcing us out of tradition what with the absence of an Imola red or Interlagos Blue...
I am really surprised that so many people have mentioned Imola red and wishing BMW offered it. I have a 2006 M3, Imola red, because that is what I wanted and in the 8 years I have had it I have only seen 2 others. All the other E46s were either white, black, gray or silver or the smurf blue.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #60
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
You mean triplets?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #61
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Looks like everyone that voted YMB won. Great choice!

I had more trouble choosing a color for this car than ever before. I'm not sure why? I probably had too much time to think about it. If the last few cars I've had lately weren't white, I would have probably gone with AW. I couldn't commit to any of the new colors without seeing them first. So I went with what I felt was a safe bet, MG. I've seen it on F32s and really liked it, so I figured I would also like it on the F82. I came really close to going YMB up until the deadline and couldn't pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #62
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
Looks like everyone that voted YMB won. Great choice!

I had more trouble choosing a color for this car than ever before. I'm not sure why? I probably had too much time to think about it. If the last few cars I've had lately weren't white, I would have probably gone with AW. I couldn't commit to any of the new colors without seeing them first. So I went with what I felt was a safe bet, MG. I've seen it on F32s and really liked it, so I figured I would also like it on the F82. I came really close to going YMB up until the deadline and couldn't pull the trigger.
Lost your stones, huh?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #63
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep

For those of you going with the Mineral Grey, here is a photo of the one I test drove. I will post a few photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #64
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep

Enjoy. Still going YMB 😄
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #65
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerfan1963 View Post
Lost your stones, huh?
I guess you could say that, it happens.

If I really regret my choice, it will give me a good excuse to order another car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #66
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
I guess you could say that, it happens.

If I really regret my choice, it will give me a good excuse to order another car.
I would agree with your choice for an F82. Not sure why, but IMO YMB looks a little bit better on the M3 than the M4. MG is a wonderful color for both: on the M3 it can be a classy conservative choice; on the M4 with black wheels it has a tough, aggressive look.
Appreciate 0