E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > OEM pre lci taillight swap halogen to LED? HID H7 or D1S?

12-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

OEM pre lci taillight swap halogen to LED? HID H7 or D1S?

I know I'm gonna get set on fire for this but...

I'm gonna tint my E90 pre lci taillights as dark as possible but I still want drivers behind me to see me, so Are LED's brighter than Halogens? At least for the tail lights?. BTW NO I don't want to get depos or any other tail lights, I want to keep my OEM pre lci, can I just swap all the bulbs for canbus LEDs? Will it be brighter than halogen? Will Canbus still give codes? If it does give codes I'm okay with a little warning or beeping , as long as they're functional and don't flicker. So can I have fully functioning canbus LED's with or without throwing codes?

And I also want to upgrade to HID's in the front, for my low beams, i already have projectors and they we're made for H7's but I see a lot of people using d1S, whats the difference? Is it better? Is it harder to install than H7s
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

First off please do not tint you're tail lights. As an insurance issue it can/will be used against you if somebody slams back into you.

Now that it's out of the way yes LEDS will be brighter but make sure you code out bulb check on you're pre lci to make sure you don't run into problems with these aftermarket parts
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
First off please do not tint you're tail lights. As an insurance issue it can/will be used against you if somebody slams back into you.

Now that it's out of the way yes LEDS will be brighter but make sure you code out bulb check on you're pre lci to make sure you don't run into problems with these aftermarket parts
Will I still get a code with Canbus LEDs, and if its just an error on the dash i dont care, but will they work properly even while throwing codes
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black&silver_bimmer
Quote:

Will I still get a code with Canbus LEDs, and if its just an error on the dash i dont care, but will they work properly even while throwing codes
That I cannot say because it's an aftermarket product but most likely after time it may become defective after some time.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That I cannot say because it's an aftermarket product but most likely after time it may become defective after some time.
Thanks, any info on H7 VS D1S??
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, any info on H7 VS D1S??
Just go with H7's that's what I'm running
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how hard they will be to install into my spyder headlights, and now I'm torn between tinting my lights, they're already really really lightly smoked but If i did get then fully smoked I would get the brightest LED's available like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=tinted+tail+lights+e92&client=safari&hl=e n&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kfmwUuXrE9LyoATXh4H wDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA#biv=i%7C2%3Bd%7C_fpXHCHJO3qxVM %3A

Or this

https://www.google.com/search?q=tinted+tail+lights+e92&client=safari&hl=e n&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kfmwUuXrE9LyoATXh4H wDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA#biv=i%7C2%3Bd%7C_fpXHCHJO3qxVM %3A

I don't have an E92 but I would suppose I could het LED's that are just as bright and take pictures of them properly wprking in the day at night at 1000 feet away like DMV states and if they we're noticable I could use this as evidence if anything ever happens( hope not)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder how hard they will be to install into my spyder headlights, and now I'm torn between tinting my lights, they're already really really lightly smoked but If i did get then fully smoked I would get the brightest LED's available like this

Or this

I don't have an E92 but I would suppose I could het LED's that are just as bright and take pictures of them properly wprking in the day at night at 1000 feet away like DMV states and if they we're noticable I could use this as evidence if anything ever happens( hope not)
Spyder headlights Post a picture of you're car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Spyder headlights Post a picture of you're car.
I can't all my pics are on my phone and I can't upload them because the app wont let me sign in idk why and my format is to big for the page itself , but you can see my pics on insta @e90_bryan
Appreciate 0