F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMWNA Awesomeness. Test Drives Galore!
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
BMWNA Awesomeness. Test Drives Galore!

Yes, I did. The story goes as follows: I went to a BMWNA event today as a +1, which involved test drives and cocktails/ hors d'oeuvres. It so happened that I only stayed for the driving part and skipped the rest. Upon arrival, my friend (Tora) and I had apparently parked at the wrong location at the Austin Country Club, but it so happened that the BMW M rep for the region followed in soon after us in a (company) X3 and offered us a ride down to the area where the event was being hosted. Awesomeness. When we arrived, we were greeted by several staff members in their clean cut outfits. All we did was entered our DL info into an iPad and we were off! Cars were lined up and we were able to test drive all BUT the M's on our own. There were two M6 convertibles available to test drive, while being accompanied by a BMWNA staff member of course.

So, the four cars that I test drove in order:

1. 750i (solo)
2. M6 (accompanied)
3. 640i Gran Coupe (solo)
4. B7 Alpina (rode shotgun while a friend drove).

...now about the M6 (DCT)... WOW!! Words cannot describe the POWER/feel/responsiveness and the SOUND of the car. The top was down for the whole drive, partly because of the awesome 70-degree weather that we got today!! My 335 was nothing close to what this car was about. When I jumped in, I was asked whether I drove an M car before (which I hadn't), so I was given a subtle hint of caution before taking off. Given my limited experience, I set the car to sport and left it on that setting for the entire drive. We took off on some twisties, and although it was in the height of rush hour, the BMWNA guy had no problem with me stretching the car when the opportunity was given, especially coming out of some of the tight, hilly corners. I must admit that I was completely astounded by the drive, so much that I didn't care of any of the tech gadgets. What I especially liked was the HUD that increased in brightness with the RPM level. The car felt so alive. As big as a car the M6 was, the only thing that reminded me of its size during the drive was the massive hood. Otherwise, the car was just so nimble and responsive that I forgot about everything (except my wife of course) for the full on 20-minue drive. The DCT transmission... jeeeeezus. Who knew that anything like that could feel as awesome as it did. It mimicked everything an MT would do in the feel of the throttle, and pedal lift was accompanied by responsive jerks and burbles that was simply awesome. This experience was one for the books, and would go down as an awesome experience for a personal milestone that I accomplished today.

I went with the intention to get some great pics, but forgot all about the camera and just drove as many cars as I could instead.

The 750 was also awesome, but definitely more luxurious and smooth. There were some interesting exhaust noises that left me curious in the cabin. All the cars that were given to us had HUD, and I would definitely be specing this on my next car having experienced it for a full two hours of test drives.

After the M6, I went on to the 640i gran coupe, which I must admit felt very safe and numb compared to the M6. I think that M6 just ruined all the subsequent test drives. There was a lot of BOV noise from the 640i, at least compared to what I'm accustomed to. I didn't drive this as long as I did the others.

Then the Alpina B7. Even though I rode shotgun, this car is an animal all its own. It's embellished with subtle badge jewelry. The alcantara headliner that's double stitched with the leather was awesome. There was not much of a more aggressive noise compared to the 750i, but the speed. Good grief. Although the weight of the both 7ers were noticeable, they were completely capable of taking on anything that the road brings. The fat tires gripped the road well and the seats were just a very nice place to be. All in all, I couldn't be more grateful to experience such an event, and to belong to a car family that seeks the best interest of the drivers.

By the way, they apparently auction off the test cars after 5-10k miles OR you can purchase them at discounted prices if you like them enough. Apparently you just ask the representatives there and they hook you up. Would've done so if I were in the market for an M6. Not so sure about the convertible though.

Now on for the pics, they're horrible though and just snapped them in betwen drives with my iPhone. I didn't take many like I mentioned, so sorry for that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Doctor///M; 11-15-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0