BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #111
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

I remember Southlight saying these rims were made especially for BMW. Don't quote me on that. I mean they have a small little square for the M logo, right? It wouldn't be there if BMW bought them off the rack.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #112
KSAF
Speed Demon
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunro View Post
Nah, those only have 7 V'd spokes. The ones on the mule have 8
Thanks for clearing that out. They look identical to the BBS CH-R but with one extra spoke. Anyhow, the wheels on the test mule 1 Series M are the same as the M3 Competition and M3 GTS wheels, but in 18 or 19 inch for the 1 ///M I guess. And they are made by BBS as well.

Last edited by KSAF; 06-05-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #113
Pavetron
Rep
Drives: 135I

M 1 series on Jalopnik

BMW's M-anaging director Dr. Kay Segler has confirmed the mysterious 1-Series testers we've seeing are indeed testers for a new M-division product. But, it won't wear the M1 moniker. No matter — lighter and faster, please. [Auto-News.de (translated) via Pistonheads]

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #114
coiler20d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e82

Ok guys, thanks!

Those rims really look orgasmic on the car
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #115
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Now I doubt my opinion matters, but here goes.

I honestly believe that the M version of the 1 series is going to be a huge waste of money. BMW isnt going to let the 1 series ///M be better than their beloved M3. The M3 is BMW's pride and joy, we all know that. The gap between the performance figures of the 135i and the M3 is not that big. Yes, the M3 has a lot more horsepower, but it also has a lot more weight to lug around. 0-60 times are not that far off, same electronically limited top speed. So, why buy the M verision of the 1 series? You will be buying the badge, some suspension bits and a little extra HP, all of which you will be able to get cheaper thru the aftermarket. If BMW tries to shoehorn the 1-series M in between the M3 and the 135i, then it will be a huge waste of money. Sorry if you don't like how I see this, frankly I dont care if you dont.

I think for the 1-series M car to make sense financially, it needs to be better than the M3. BMW won't do that, because it'll take away from M3 sales. The performance figures are too close between the 135i and the M3 for them to fit a $50k car (just a guess on price) in between them. BMW shot themselves in the foot by making the original 135i too good. They didnt leave enough room in between the 135i and the M3 for them to fit an M version of the car in there.

Unless BMW is going to make the 1 series M their new pride and joy (and I'll open a snow shovel store in Hell ), then I don't see this new "M car" being all that practical.
If the performance of 1M and M3 are very close, then for most customer the major difference between them is the rear seat leg room...

But I wonder how many percent of the potential 1 and 3 series M-product buyers really care about the rear seat leg room factor. Also, the price of the 1M will step in the range of many M3's competitors.

The root cause is: they need to rushly develop a M product, at the end of the life circle of a platform, which did not design to/plan to have a M variation at the very beginning (back in 2004).

While the engineer team were designing the E8x platform back in 2003 or earlier, at that time did any one in the team ever propose to design/calculate/simulate the structure/strength/dynamics/material with 'it should be also qualify for a M-product usage' in mind?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #116
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
If the performance of 1M and M3 are very close, then for most customer the major difference between them is the rear seat leg room...

But I wonder how many percent of the potential 1 and 3 series M-product buyers really care about the rear seat leg room factor. Also, the price of the 1M will step in the range of many M3's competitors.

The root cause is: they need to rushly develop a M product, at the end of the life circle of a platform, which did not design to/plan to have a M variation at the very beginning (back in 2004).

While the engineer team were designing the E8x platform back in 2003 or earlier, at that time did any one in the team ever propose to design/calculate/simulate the structure/strength/dynamics/material with 'it should be also qualify for a M-product usage' in mind?

I doubt it. The 1 series has been around for a long time, just not the coupe we all know. The thing is, I really want an M version of the 1 series, I really do. I just don't want it to fail and become nothing more than a performance parts upgrade later in life because it took away from the M3 or the M3 took away from it.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0