E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Whats the deal with Audi vs BMW?

08-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
UnknownSpiritX5
Drive till Infinity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i (E90), 2020 X5 40i (G0

Whats the deal with Audi vs BMW?

Apparently, the A4 and S models are much better than the 3 series (328 and 335, etc -- except M) and they are priced at a reasonable amount too? By better, I mean in terms of engine and overall performance. Apparently, the interior setup is a much higher quality as well...?

Are there any BMW owners here who've owned both an Audi and BMW? How do you compare both?

If I was planning to buy a new car sometime soon, would buying an Audi A4 or S model be better than buying a BMW (even if its the M3) ?
      08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
CoolMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSpiritX5 View Post
Apparently, the A4 and S models are much better than the 3 series (328 and 335, etc -- except M) and they are priced at a reasonable amount too? By better, I mean in terms of engine and overall performance. Apparently, the interior setup is a much higher quality as well...?

Are there any BMW owners here who've owned both an Audi and BMW? How do you compare both?

If I was planning to buy a new car sometime soon, would buying an Audi A4 or S model be better than buying a BMW (even if its the M3) ?
I don't have my 335i yet (first bimmer), but i think BMW's got something with their "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan. If it drives as well as I think it will, that might be why it costs more. But then again, I'm a noob, so just my two cents I guess.

2009 335i Coupe | 6MT | Space Gray | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Comfort Access | Navigation | Smartphone | iPod/USB Adapter | Logic7 | Alarm
07/08/2009 - On Order | 07/10/2009 - Schedule for Production | 07/19/2009 - Awaiting Transport | 07/25/2009 - En Route | 08/11/2009 - At Preparation Center | 08/15/2009 - At Your BMW Center
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Owned an '06 325i and now drive an '09 A4 2.0T Quattro.

Between the two, BMW has the performance and Audi has the luxury. I'd say the interior of the Audi is much better than my previous BMW, but that's because it was grey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Traditionally Audi has always had a FWD/overweight image. I know they've been trying to change that, but their motors were usually mounted so far in front of the front axles, the vehicles were heavy, V6, but generally good looking. All in all, always trying hard to get respect. But let's face it, BMW is for the most part a better car. A4 over a 3 series? Highly doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

simple i have had two a4's and my wife drives a a4 wagon and the a4 could not be a pimple on the 335's tail pipe.
      08-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288936

very heated subject... A lot of Audi fan boys on here.. Kinda weird
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

No debate, assuming you like euro cars....

If you actually like driving cars around corners, refined power, motorsport, safety etc = BMW
If you like things dull, safe, lots of buttons and are conservative, but think your "sporty" = Audi

If you like all of this and want to save the planet you buy a 335d!

Cheers
stu

BTW I am very biased as I have a space grey 335d :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

If BMW and MB were to mate, the outcome would be an Audi.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSpiritX5 View Post

Funny this topic should come up now!

I am a 335i coupe owner. I've just driven an Audi A6 V6 Quattro from Sydney to Melbourne.

Basically, I don't think I would want to buy an Audi. Very simply:

- They look HOT from the outside. No doubt.
- Their engines are noisy and have CRAP power delivery. It has power - its just the crap way it delivers it.
- The seats don't hold a candle to BMW seats
- My biggest problem is the lack of steering feel - none.zero.nadda. But I was told that this is because thats how the yanks like it. Bugger that.
- The interior. I think I have worked it out now. At first glance you think it looks luxurious. But after a while you realise that it has been designed by a drunken man with one arm tied to his penis. Lots of things to make it look nice, but buttons and knobs everywhere with no sense of design and simplicity. For example, to open the glovebox. It is a bloody great button on the dashboard. My passenger went crazy looking for it, and then when we found it - it was miles away.
Or maybe the drink holders. There appeared to be one. But if you lift up the center armrest - there is another! Cool....NOT. So, the designer forces you to have 2 drinks in the holders and no armrest. I like the armrest on a long trip. Stupid.

So, overall, I think people who buy Audis these days are those who are drawn in by the looks (understandable), have no sense of "actual" good design - so they think it is awesome interior-wise. Because of that lack of good design sense, they don't know what the hell you are talking about when you point out the crap power delivery and terrible steering feel.

Of course, when I got back from my trip, everyone trumped my winge with a simple "Oh, well, get into an RS4 and you'll see how cool they are!!"
Bollox to that. So, let me understand this. You have to spend moon-beams on an RS4 to get a good Audi?

So, buy a car from the Skoda/VW/Audi family and I suspect you are now ending up with a Skoda unless you spend money on the RS range - from which you are actually getting into a "true" Audi.

BMW from the 1 series up have BMW DNA. No other influence or DNA poison.

(flame suit on.....but remember I have actually spent a lot of time in BMW AND Audis - the A4, S5 and A6 Quattro)

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
dirtyylicous
Swagger on a trillion
Rep
Drives: IS300

I like audi, they make good looking cars that are comfortable to drive.

The new a4 is freaking gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Funny this topic should come up now!

I am a 335i coupe owner. I've just driven an Audi A6 V6 Quattro from Sydney to Melbourne.

Basically, I don't think I would want to buy an Audi. Very simply:

- They look HOT from the outside. No doubt.
- Their engines are noisy and have CRAP power delivery. It has power - its just the crap way it delivers it.
- The seats don't hold a candle to BMW seats
- My biggest problem is the lack of steering feel - none.zero.nadda. But I was told that this is because thats how the yanks like it. Bugger that.
- The interior. I think I have worked it out now. At first glance you think it looks luxurious. But after a while you realise that it has been designed by a drunken man with one arm tied to his penis. Lots of things to make it look nice, but buttons and knobs everywhere with no sense of design and simplicity. For example, to open the glovebox. It is a bloody great button on the dashboard. My passenger went crazy looking for it, and then when we found it - it was miles away.
Or maybe the drink holders. There appeared to be one. But if you lift up the center armrest - there is another! Cool....NOT. So, the designer forces you to have 2 drinks in the holders and no armrest. I like the armrest on a long trip. Stupid.

So, overall, I think people who buy Audis these days are those who are drawn in by the looks (understandable), have no sense of "actual" good design - so they think it is awesome interior-wise. Because of that lack of good design sense, they don't know what the hell you are talking about when you point out the crap power delivery and terrible steering feel.

Of course, when I got back from my trip, everyone trumped my winge with a simple "Oh, well, get into an RS4 and you'll see how cool they are!!"
Bollox to that. So, let me understand this. You have to spend moon-beams on an RS4 to get a good Audi?

So, buy a car from the Skoda/VW/Audi family and I suspect you are now ending up with a Skoda unless you spend money on the RS range - from which you are actually getting into a "true" Audi.

BMW from the 1 series up have BMW DNA. No other influence or DNA poison.

(flame suit on.....but remember I have actually spent a lot of time in BMW AND Audis - the A4, S5 and A6 Quattro)
I'm all for BMW so don't get me wrong. You've just made a strong statement about BMW over Audi, but it took you three Audis to realized this?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I'm all for BMW so don't get me wrong. You've just made a strong statement about BMW over Audi, but it took you three Audis to realized this?
haha, good point!

It is far better to know than to believe.

Most BMW owners believe their cars are better than the skoda/vw/audi family....after driving several skoda/vw/audis - I KNOW for a fact!

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
1. Audi isn't quite as luxurious as an MB nor quite as sporty as a Bimmer.
2. Its reliability is better than MB but not as good as BMW.
3. Its brand is 2nd tier compared to MB and BMW, if that matters.

Don't get me wrong Audi makes some fantastic cars (RS4, R8 for example). But if you are keeping this generic, and that is what you are asking, then Audi is 3rd in the list of luxo/performer German passenger car makes.

You can put all the horsepower and gadgets into a car, if it can't handle it ain't for me. BMW does the best job of combining sport and luxury. It has for many years. That's part of the reason the prices are high, and so are their margins.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyylicous View Post
I like audi, they make good looking cars that are comfortable to drive.

The new a4 is freaking gorgeous.
i beg to disagree but for the S5, now you're talking!

[IMG]http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

On the horrible engine noise. Sounds like a Honda.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

if u want more sporty get a bimmer. if you want more luxury get a audi
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i,911,ISF

Quote:
Nah, I think if VW and Acura mate, it would make Audi.

Acura and Audi are very similar to me, they both are dressed up FWD cars from their regular cheaper line up (Honda and VW), with a dose of sport, technology and luxury mixed in.

The 3 series is not based upon a cheaper FWD platform, its built from the ground up to be a benchmark RWD sport sedan with driving dynamics as being priority one. Sure there might be faster cars out there on paper. This may sound a bit corny but you can't really put the ultimate driving experience of a BMW down on paper, it must be experienced in real life to understand.

If you drive a Jetta GLI and an A4 2.0T back to back, they will feel like the same car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
On the horrible engine noise. Sounds like a Honda.
+1
      08-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
I chose a 335i over an A3 S-Line in the fall of '06. The A3 felt good to sit in, but driving it was just oooookay -- competent, but I didn't flip for it. I was seriously considering it over the Z4 coupe just because of the practicality.

Luckily the BMW dealership got some 335s in while I was still debating. After a very short drive there was just no contest. It annihilated all the other cars I drove, at the price premium that would suggest.

If you can live with the handling of an Audi or Infiniti, then go for it. You'll probably wind up with an extra 10 Gs in your pocket for hookers and blow
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
RipsE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post

Don't get me wrong Audi makes some fantastic cars (RS4, R8 for example). But if you are keeping this generic, and that is what you are asking, then Audi is 3rd in the list of luxo/performer German passenger car makes.

You can put all the horsepower and gadgets into a car, if it can't handle it ain't for me. BMW does the best job of combining sport and luxury. It has for many years. That's part of the reason the prices are high, and so are their margins.
I meant to say Audi is in between the two. So I totally agree with 1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
On that second quote you're smoking a peace pipe... my 335xi had far more problems than my 2.0T A4 quattro...

Listen, I loved the 335xi and want to get another one... but reliability and BMW's dont belong in the same paragraph.... ask the people with the HPFP failures.... (In my case HPFP, Injectors, squaky brakes, antifreeze smell from AC vents ) My audi never left me stranded and all that was wrong with it is one xenon headlamp turning motor malfunction...
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0