E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Cooler: Missing on my car - Called BMWNA, told not available on cars before 10/11

07-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #67
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlevs View Post
The power kit is available either as a software upgrade only (version 1) or as a full hardware + software kit (version 2). PPK Version 2 comes as a combination of two parts - the power kit itself (which is specific for a particular engine model) and the air duct kit (specific to the type of bumper you have on a vehicle). In my case, for 2011 335i xDrive - I ordered the PPK version 2 for N55 engine (part #11122184495 which comes with aux. water cooler and more powerful cooling fan plus all necessary hardware and software update code) and air duct kit part #51742157666 (for standard bumper).
A little Googling and I found a few places where I could get this kit, but avg $1500! That's a lot of cheese for +20hp. And I think the programming was separate for $800. Looked like a fan a few hoses and a radiator. $1500? Do you know of a place I could get the parts for less? I suppose the odds are slim and none that I might find the parts in tact at a salvage yard.
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, GoFastBits DV+ - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #68
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudre View Post
A little Googling and I found a few places where I could get this kit, but avg $1500! That's a lot of cheese for +20hp. And I think the programming was separate for $800. Looked like a fan a few hoses and a radiator. $1500? Do you know of a place I could get the parts for less? I suppose the odds are slim and none that I might find the parts in tact at a salvage yard.
You don't have to get the stage 2 unless you track your car or really push it. I have the stage 1 which provides the exact same ECU program but does not add the aux radiator. I have never had issues with overheating of the coolant.

You do have to have the OEM oil cooler installed to get either stage though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #69
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Yeah that's wrong. I have a 2008 335xi manual with sport package and I have the oil cooler. I think that all Canadian 335i's with sport package came with one. The 18" wheels are also standard with the sport package in Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #70
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
So no one chimes in “Why PPK, just got COBB/JB4” – I have 1 year left on factory warranty and then 2 years of CPO so I do not want to risk voiding the warranty.
  • Sell this car and get one with the oil cooler.
  • Get Dinan software (often dealer installed) which comes with a warranty.

Did you know that Cobb is non-invasive - installs/uninstalls through the OBD II port?
      07-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #71
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
As a side note, I did speak with BMW NA again about 2 weeks ago. I informed them of the vehicles similar to mine that have the oil cooler. After I did that the rep. seemed to become frustrated and became short with me. Essentially he said that my car should have never come with an oil cooler and 'case closed' - there is nothing which I can do.

Even though he couldn't tell me why the other vehicles had it and mine didn't. Oh well - lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
  • Sell this car and get one with the oil cooler.
  • Get Dinan software (often dealer installed) which comes with a warranty.

Did you know that Cobb is non-invasive - installs/uninstalls through the OBD II port?
Dinan only covers the cars factory warranty, it will not cover the additional 2 years of CPO that I have. Also I would have to get an oil cooler installed for Dinan and the dealership will not do it - so I would have to get an independent to do it and then it would void my warranty anyway I am sure.

Even though Cobb is plug/play I don't feel comfortable having that on my car and then if something happens taking it off and getting the issue fixed. I feel as if it is stealing and lying - just how I am.

But thanks for the suggestions.

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #72
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Even though Cobb is plug/play I don't feel comfortable having that on my car and then if something happens taking it off and getting the issue fixed. I feel as if it is stealing and lying - just how I am.

Finally someone who gets it.

I have been preaching this for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #73
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

Finally someone who gets it.

I have been preaching this for years.
If it's not related, then what's the issue?
I didn't feel bar running a Cobb when my water pump failed. Un-related.
I didn't feel bad when the injectors when south. Un-related.
I didn't feel bad when my HPFP failed. Un-related.

Just because you run a tune and need warranty work doesn't mean the two are related.

I personally tried to get the PPK. I have all the right option.
The dealer could not install it. They had some issues.
So, then...... I bought a Cobb.
No issues.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #74
vladlevs
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudre View Post
BMW NA website (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PERFORMANC...ORMANCE/TUNING) offers PPK for $1754, this includes both the power kit and the air duct kit. I ordered mine via local BMW dealer and got an additional BMWCCA member discount. These prices are for parts only and do not include installation and programming. You can have the PPK ordered from BMW NA installed, they will give you a choice of local dealers who can do it for you (in my area the installed price that includes everything with programming update was about $2340) but this is possible only if you already have the oil cooler. In my case, I had to go through the independent tech because I was installing both the oil cooler and the PPK at the same time.

I doubt you would find these parts on a salvage yard, unless someone had recently totaled the 335is car and the front end was not damaged. By the way, I think the price of PPK is fair considering that you get a very expensive new fan with wiring harness and relay switch, a set of new spark plugs, an additional radiator + hoses and a bunch of small stuff that, if purchased separately, can easily add up to ~$200. FYI - I was told that the PPK dealer invoice price (without air ducts) is $1165, the lowest price I found online was from getBMWparts.com for $1180, but the air ducts kit will add another $230.

The bottom line - paying this much only to get the additional 20 hp from your engine isn't worth it IMHO. I did it primarily to increase the cooling capacity and reduce thermal stress on my engine while driving on a track. But if overheating wasn't an issue, I wouldn't even bother with PPK.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #75
vladlevs
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
As a side note, I did speak with BMW NA again about 2 weeks ago. I informed them of the vehicles similar to mine that have the oil cooler. After I did that the rep. seemed to become frustrated and became short with me. Essentially he said that my car should have never come with an oil cooler and 'case closed' - there is nothing which I can do.

Even though he couldn't tell me why the other vehicles had it and mine didn't. Oh well - lesson learned.
This is very similar to what I experienced, except that in my case I was told exactly the opposite - that any car with N55 engine should have an oil cooler installed but there is nothing they can do about it - there is no oil cooler retrofit kit available for N55, even though they had one available for N54 when they were running into overheat issues on a regular basis. Maybe one day, if enough people complain about N55 overheating they will put a retrofit kit together but none is available today. This was the primary reason for them to refuse installing the oil cooler, they didn't want to go through the exercise of figuring out what parts would be needed to do the job. But, since I already did my homework - anyone else in the same situation can get it done easily now.

Quote:
Dinan only covers the cars factory warranty, it will not cover the additional 2 years of CPO that I have. Also I would have to get an oil cooler installed for Dinan and the dealership will not do it - so I would have to get an independent to do it and then it would void my warranty anyway I am sure.
My SA told me exactly the opposite - that if I go to an independent tech and have the oil cooler installed using all BMW OEM parts - it will not void my warranty (and I have it in writing, in the email). The only case when the warranty can be affected is if something happens with the engine and it can be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that incorrect oil cooler installation was a culprit.

Quote:
+1 from me as well. I want to be able to go back to my service adviser not just to make a service appointment but also to get a valuable advice (e.g. on warranty matters) and not feel like a cheating bastard. She knows my car better than I do, why would I put this valuable resource in jeopardy just to get a few more HP out of my engine.
Appreciate 0