E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > "Braking & Dynamic Response Systems Malfunctioned" Error Message Help

05-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
antidentite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: See signature

Exclamation "Braking & Dynamic Response Systems Malfunctioned" Error Message Help

So far I've gotten an error message on my '07 335i that indicates that the "Braking & Dynamic Response Systems Malfunctioned" and that I should "Drive carefully and avoid hard braking."

I've gotten this message three times now after spending about 30 minutes (25 miles) driving.

The last time the car completely died on me for 90 minutes before magically starting up again.

The dealer (Bellevue BMW) says it's because I don't drive the car enough and that the battery is low, although I do put about 9k miles on the car every year, and every time this error message happened I've been driving the car for at least 30 minutes over about 25 miles. They say I need to buy a battery conditioner and use it every night, even though this is my daily driver!

Anyone have a similar experience, or idea's on what could be happening? I don't believe having to use a battery tender every night is a reasonable expectation for this car given it's a daily driver...
Current: '17 Porsche Macan GTS
Current: '04 V8 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

while its possible its due to battery voltage..issues like that usually occur right after start up or at least near it. as for 9k a year...that should be enough milage per year. however, if the car sits for long periods of time and then is driven for say long trips(ie car sits for a month then is driven 2k in a week..then sits another 3 weeks) then id recommend a battery tender. we goodwill those things all the time at my shop..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
antidentite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: See signature

This is my daily driver, so it never sits more than a day or two without being driven.

Also, I usually get these messages after driving the car for awhile instead of at start-up.

What do you mean you "goodwill" the battery tenders at your shop?
Current: '17 Porsche Macan GTS
Current: '04 V8 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

hey, i got this before too! with the "brake" light staying on in yellow and the traction control signaling its off...then in the digital display it shows the (O) with the "!" in the circle. is this waht you are getting? i haven't taken it in yet since it goes out on its own. and i drive my car ALLLLL the time...3-4x a day.

last week when i locked the car with the fob it made a weird electrical sound like something had current going through when it wasn't supposed to. then my locks didn't work...checked the fuses and the locking system was blown and replaced fuse...blew again...replaced again and it seemed to work from there...though that stupid dynamic system error comes on... and i checked for codes and all i got was a 2ab4. doesn't seem like you are alone, buddy. hope they figure it out!

teri

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
I am getting stability control and suspension control failure errors as of saturday. I put in the braile 21lb light weight battery about 2-3 months ago. It worked fine for a month, then I noticed the comfort access would not work when trying to open the door. It always works when exiting to lock the door. A few days later I noticed the yellow, low battery light coming on. Now it comes on many times and the comfort access will always fail when trying to unlock.

I think as far as the OP is concerned, the dealer may have been right, and that all kinds of weird errors can pop up and cause warning lights from a weak battey. I have seen a lamda voltage error in the 02 sensor, and just got a 5D97 - Medium or High Voltage Short Circuit of voltage supply FR or the valve on ground registered during the cyclical valve relay test.

I'm thinking the battery is not suitable for cars that draw current all the time with Comfort Access (there has been much discussion of these types of prolems on the M3 board. I do mainly very small trips around town, and the car is sometimes driven only once or twice per week.

Going to get a battery tender, charge the OEM back up and put it back in, to se if all the errors go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
deathsightx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

While driving the car as a daily driver can seem like its enough for the battery the mileage of the drive matters as well. Say for example you drive your car 3 times a day each for about 5 miles (running errands, close to work/school etc), that can be bad for the battery as well. I know this isn't the case because you've stated it only comes on after driving for 30 mins, but I thought it might be usefull to know.
Appreciate 0