F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Two BC drivers lose their cars after being caught street racing
GetBMWParts

12-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #45
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-sold-1.930385

But while the government is selling off the valuable sports car under the province's civil forfeiture laws, the owner and the driver still stand to get back 80 per cent of the cash from the sale.
This is completely wrong in my opinion. We've all raced before, and al though I admit its wrong and dangerous. A hefty fine of even $5000 is reasonable imo for something like this. However STEALING someones private property that the individual has earned. No way would I stand for that.

For fucks sake. if I was the ferrari driver or the m6 I wouldn't have stopped. I don't give a flying fuck. Noone can take my private property without a fight.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #46
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I think this article is from a few years ago?

Do you think the law enforcement has the right to take a away a gun which is used by someone pointing it to the general public? IMO, in this street race case, their cars in that situation were not less harmful than a gun or knife being used to threaten the safety of others in public, and if so, the law enforcement has all the right to take it away from them. I hope they didn't only take away their cars but also put them in jail for some time.
      12-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #47
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I think this article is from a few years ago?

Do you think the law enforcement has the right to take a away a gun which is used by someone pointing it to the general public? IMO, in this street race case, their cars in that situation were not less harmful than a gun or knife being used to threaten the safety of others in public, and if so, the law enforcement has all the right to take it away from them. I hope they didn't only take away their cars but also put them in jail for some time.
A better law would be to give them a certain time limit to sell off their vehicle. For example 6 months. Or else they'd auction off it themselves.

I'd be fine with something like that. Imo this is the government being greedy.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

So they took the cars in lieu of a harsher individual sentence? That seems so backwards to me.

15 day driving ban? Comon that's not gonna teach them anything. I am not a big fan of seizing property as a punishment. They didn't even own the cars so it makes no sense to punish the owner by taking his car and giving 50% of the value. Money making laws as usual.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #49
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

"When a vehicle has killed or injured someone, it’s too late,” said Coleman. “Our laws now work to take vehicles away from reckless drivers before they hurt someone, because they are demonstrating no regard for the safety of themselves or others on our roads."

Punishment should be commiserate with the pain threshold. And you give up some of your individual "rights" when you agree to use communal property, especially when it violates others right's (like being able to use a road without getting killed by some reckless d-bag).

Had these self absorbed twits done this on a private track there would have been zero problems, you make up your own rules. On public property you play by society's rules. Break them, then tough sh$t. Had their stupidity resulted in a death the price would be far, far higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #50
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335iftw View Post
This is completely wrong in my opinion. We've all raced before, and al though I admit its wrong and dangerous. A hefty fine of even $5000 is reasonable imo for something like this. However STEALING someones private property that the individual has earned. No way would I stand for that.

For fucks sake. if I was the ferrari driver or the m6 I wouldn't have stopped. I don't give a flying fuck. Noone can take my private property without a fight.

What are you, like 12? Play too much Midnight Club? It's the middle of the day, they're driving rare cars, they were at the top of a mountain. They were caught one way or another. Not only will they catch you and take your property they will b--t f--k you long after you cry stop because you tried to run.

Funny that one option you don't consider is not racing on a public street.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #51
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

"On Tuesday the government announced it plans to sell the Ferrari to a dealership for $235,000, with 50 per cent of the cash from the sale going to the owner of the vehicle, who was not driving it at the time, 30 per cent going to the driver, and 20 per cent to the government."

The driver gets 30% by racing and then losing a car that he does not own!??

I think jail time is the only deterrent. $ is what they have and paying will not hit them that hard in the wallet.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #52
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
What are you, like 12? Play too much Midnight Club? It's the middle of the day, they're driving rare cars, they were at the top of a mountain. They were caught one way or another. Not only will they catch you and take your property they will b--t f--k you long after you cry stop because you tried to run.

Funny that one option you don't consider is not racing on a public street.

I've driven on those roads up in the mountains. They're clear most of the time and i've topped my car too. You can bet your ass i'd try and run away if I knew they'd take my car and try to sell it off. Im not saying street racing is right, however, everyone makes mistakes. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum has street races at least once in their lives. They deserve to be punished. Not like this, especially when the car wasn't even owned by the driver. That's bullshit!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #53
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

LOL

In Switzerland, they would get:

- 1-3 years jail
- fine over 10.000 $
- car is gone (no money to the owners)

And you find the canadian rules harsh?
      12-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #54
metalmind1
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421
Fuck Canada. They should lock them up, not take the cars
I agree
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
Steve-0
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 dadmobile

Sucks to be those guys. Keep it on the track, or get a car with lights and sirens like mine
In all seriousness, it does seem quite harsh, but a series of major accidents/deaths in Van brought about the law changes...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #56
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

don't see what the problem is here.
break the law, face the consequences. its called being a responsible human being.

all these keyboard warriors claiming fuck the police/law/nation are uneducated fools that will always learn the hard way
      12-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #57
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #58
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335iftw View Post
I've driven on those roads up in the mountains. They're clear most of the time and i've topped my car too. You can bet your ass i'd try and run away if I knew they'd take my car and try to sell it off. Im not saying street racing is right, however, everyone makes mistakes. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum has street races at least once in their lives. They deserve to be punished. Not like this, especially when the car wasn't even owned by the driver. That's bullshit!
You go girl! Show them what's up.

No way they can find you, since it's Canada. You guys probably don't have helicopters for your police force or cameras at every intersection. No way they will have your liscence plate number or a very good discription of your car. Surely you will get away clean. And if you don't get away, your attempt to get away probably won't make it worse. They'll probably just be like, "Jolly good try buddy!"

Yep, I have gone over the speed limit, plenty of times. No, I would never do anything like 125mph in a 35mph zone going around probably blind corners at whatever excessive speed. At most, I go 15mph over. Pretty boring, I know. But you know what? There are other people on the road and I don't need to endanger their lives.

I am not really sure about taking away their cars. What I think should happen is

Go over the speed limit by:

15mph=hefty fine
25mph=even a more hefty fine
35mph= You're not allowed to drive on public roads for 3 years + huge fine
50mph=You're not allowed to drive on public roads for 5 years + huge fine
75mph=You're not allowed to drive on public roads again + huge fine
90mph over??????? You go to jail for a year. Pay a huge fine and then not allowed to drive when you get out.

(lots of gaps I know, but I am not bored enough to really try to figure it out)

Public roads are not a race course. I don't care if you think 125mph feels perfectly safe in a Ferrari. On a 35mph zone or even a 75mph zone, no one is expecting a car to come up on them at such a higher rate of speed. It is dangerous just for that alone, nevermind how well the Ferrari may handle the speed.

I was doing 80mph on the highway, looking over my left shoulder before changing lanes to the left. Nothing near me and I start to make my lane change......ZZZZIIIIIIIPPPPPPP a motherfucking crotchrocket motorcycle zips on by easily going over 100mph. That guy almost died right there. Then 3 more of his buddies zips on by. Get further down the road and I see CHP had blocked the road and caught all of them. I was like . These guys shouldn't be on the road, they endanger my life, the lives of those people with children in their car. They have no right to do this. Fuck them.

Last edited by Casca; 01-02-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #59
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
You go girl! Show them what's up.

No way they can find you, since it's Canada. You guys probably don't have helicopters for your police force or cameras at every intersection. No way they will have your liscence plate number or a very good discription of your car. Surely you will get away clean. And if you don't get away, your attempt to get away probably won't make it worse. They'll probably just be like, "Jolly good try buddy!"

Yep, I have gone over the speed limit, plenty of times. No, I would never do anything like 125mph in a 35mph zone going around probably blind corners at whatever excessive speed. At most, I go 15mph over. Pretty boring, I know. But you know what? There are other people on the road and I don't need to endanger their lives.

I am not really sure about taking away their cars. What I think should happen is

Go over the speed limit by:

15mph=hefty fine
25mph=even a more hefty fine
35mph= You're not allowed to drive on public roads for 3 years + huge fine
50mph=You're not allowed to drive on public roads for 5 years + huge fine
75mph=You're not allowed to drive on public roads again + huge fine
90mph over??????? You go to jail for a year. Pay a huge fine and then not allowed to drive when you get out.

(lots of gaps I know, but I am not bored enough to really try to figure it out)

Public roads are not a race course. I don't care if you think 125mph feels perfectly safe in a Ferrari. On a 35mph zone or even a 75mph zone, no one is expecting a car to come up on them at such a higher rate of speed. It is dangerous just for that alone, nevermind how well the Ferrari may handle the speed.

I was doing 80mph on the highway, looking over my left shoulder before changing lanes to the left. Nothing near me and I start to make my lane change......ZZZZIIIIIIIPPPPPPP a motherfucking crotchrocket motorcycle zips on by easily going over 100mph. That guy almost died right there. Then 3 more of his buddies zips on by. Get further down the road and I see CHP had blocked the road and caught all of them. I was like . These guys shouldn't be on the road, they endanger my life, the lives of those people with children in their car. They have no right to do this. Fuck them.

DAFUQ, this makes no sense… Fact....

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #60
JButtonMCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
"On Tuesday the government announced it plans to sell the Ferrari to a dealership for $235,000, with 50 per cent of the cash from the sale going to the owner of the vehicle, who was not driving it at the time, 30 per cent going to the driver, and 20 per cent to the government."

The driver gets 30% by racing and then losing a car that he does not own!??

I think jail time is the only deterrent. $ is what they have and paying will not hit them that hard in the wallet.
Surprised no one else thought that was ridiculous! The driver(that doesn't own the car) gets 30% of a car he does not own..?

Appreciate 0