F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Offered a trade and now debating...
Extreme Powerhouse

01-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep
Drives: none

Offered a trade and now debating...

My car: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport (18,000 miles)
-pretty much all the options included
-extras: KW V2 coilovers, Window Tints, BMS Intake, Black Kidney Grills, VMR V710, Michelin PSS

The trade: 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Limited Edition (12,000 miles)
-stock with standard features plus the limited edition ones (leather seats, front heated seats, SPT exhaust)

I've already been playing around with the idea in the past of selling my 135i as much as I love the car. In all honesty, I wish I had waited just a few more months to grab a hold of an M (literally ordered my 135 3-4 months prior to release of the 1M). Have tried looking and seeing what I can do as far as finding and/or trading for a 1M but the prices they're asking for it now as opposed to what I could have bought it new exceed what I can and am willing to invest into one. So putting that idea aside I contemplated modding. However, modding is of course pricey with no end return and kills me to think of spoiling my warranty. This subaru came up and has been swaying my head back and forth with pushing for a trade or not. I've had 3 subaru's already in the past. (2001 subaru rs, moderately modded 2007 subaru sti, and then a heavily modded 2007 sti). So I'm aware of the obvious differences from the feel to the reliability. Not looking to get into a money pit, however, with either I would like to modify moderately in the 400hp area eventually would be enough. My main turmoil is choosing between the fun factor of the subaru's raw driving feel and practicability (my garage door would be opening a lot more than it is presently) vs the bmw comfort and class. I feel like I have some bug to switch it up every few years which I want to try and put a hold on for a while after making this final decision with either. I know many would see it as a downgrade, but everyone has their own taste. I see the trade as being really even in this particular case. I do prefer the awd but I'm learning with rwd. I'd appreciate any input you guys may have for this scenario to help me think of anything I'm missing before deciding. And right now I'm right in the middle of the fence.
      01-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I never had any issues using my Cobb AP and staying under warranty. I just uninstalled it prior to heading over and they were none the wiser. It really awakens the car so I would highly suggest it. After driving with the tune for the better part of two years before taking it out at lease-end, it was a rude awakening bringing it back to stock form. I probably would have sold mine if it was stock hp...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I never had any issues using my Cobb AP and staying under warranty. I just uninstalled it prior to heading over and they were none the wiser. It really awakens the car so I would highly suggest it. After driving with the tune for the better part of two years before taking it out at lease-end, it was a rude awakening bringing it back to stock form. I probably would have sold mine if it was stock hp...
I definitely have considered going with the Cobb AP if I stick with the 135i. I have used them in my Subaru's actually. I'd also want to upgrade to the M3 suspension components as well though if that's something I could see a local dealership to ignore. I'm not sure.

What was your reason for switching to the S4? and do you miss the exige because I've considered that in the past prior to choosing the 135i.
      01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
keep the 135. I cross shopped the WRX STI and while it is a great car.....it doesn't have the pure fun factor the 1er has OR the enthusiasm.

IMO the 135 is one of the last 'old school' Bimmers. Now everything is switching to electric steering, active suspension, etc...etc. blah snooze yawn blah!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

IMO the 135 is one of the last 'old school' Bimmers. Now everything is switching to electric steering, active suspension, etc...etc. blah snooze yawn blah!
Funny you mention that because I've thought about our 135's in that way too. Lol. I mean the Subaru has the simplicity/driver enthusiast factor also. I guess in a way the difference is in the class of driving. STi get from point A to point B in whatever way possible no matter the obstacle (dirt road, snow storm, etc). 135 get from point A to point B even faster being more nimble but limited to what kind of obstacles may come in the way.
      01-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
J_Vang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i M Sport

Probably not but it depends on you, they both drive completely different. Subaru are warranty nazis and i'd be worried about the ring land issue. I bought my wife a 13 STI and we have to keep it completely stock. You're going to get worse gas mileage and will always have the racer boy status, taking off the wing does help some.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Keep the 135i, do some suspension and power mods, and if you are still wanting after that you can always do a widebody, whether OE 1M kit or aftermarket.

I cross shopped the STI as well before I bought my 1er, they're nice, but there's something special about these cars.
      01-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vang View Post
the racer boy status, taking off the wing does help some.
That fact is what really deters me from it despite the history of what that car was made for when it was first made. I'd rather have rarity status. The bmw is much more in that respect.
      01-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Keep the 135i, do some suspension and power mods, and if you are still wanting after that you can always do a widebody, whether OE 1M kit or aftermarket.

I cross shopped the STI as well before I bought my 1er, they're nice, but there's something special about these cars.
I also heard installing the limited slip makes quite a difference and could be the answer to my urge of going back to awd.
      01-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Sounds like the car you really want is a 1M or a different M model. I would go for the car you really want if I were you even if you have to be patient. I was really considering an STi last summer but then I test drove a few M3s and there was no going back from that point. Didn't end up getting one because dealers were asking way too much $ so I start saving up some more and now I'm in position to get an M4 by leasing it then buying it out at lease end (don't have to worry about mileage cap and mods plus frees up cash flow)

I could have been driving the STi for months now but im happy with my decision patience pays off but it's tough waiting
      01-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Sounds like the car you really want is a 1M or a different M model. I would go for the car you really want if I were you even if you have to be patient. I was really considering an STi last summer but then I test drove a few M3s and there was no going back from that point. Didn't end up getting one because dealers were asking way too much $ so I start saving up some more and now I'm in position to get an M4 by leasing it then buying it out at lease end (don't have to worry about mileage cap and mods plus frees up cash flow)

I could have been driving the STi for months now but im happy with my decision patience pays off but it's tough waiting
Patience is definitely worth waiting for what you really want. That's awesome on going for the M4. Beautiful car.

It makes me consider more into the option of modding my 135 to where I want it to be, see how that does for me for a while, and then later down the road see what BMW will have to offer and if it'd be worth then to part ways with my 135. Then again, I'd have to go back with the point agreeing that cars these days pretty much drive for themselves which is far from what I look into when choosing a vehicle. On the other hand, I noticed a few photos of the proposed 2015 sti which looks more refined and almost like an evo which could also be for a possibility at that time.
      01-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMiLuc View Post
I also heard installing the limited slip makes quite a difference and could be the answer to my urge of going back to awd.
Yup. It's a shame the LSD options available are so pricey though. I want to finish upgrading my suspension, then put in a LSD and then will probably do a widebody and bigger wheels & tires before adding more power. That's just me though.
      01-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
keep the 135. I cross shopped the WRX STI and while it is a great car.....it doesn't have the pure fun factor the 1er has OR the enthusiasm.

01-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #14
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I think you'd be making a mistake by trading your 135. I agree with an above poster that it's one of the last BMWs sold that's an "ultimate driving machine" - hydraulic steering and so on. On top of that the Subaru lacks the refinement and won't be as comfortable for extended trips.

Also consider the resale value, insurance and gas mileage; how any of those would be in the Subaru's favor is beyond me. And if you go to a dealership for service, let's just say Subaru dealers are somewhat underwhelming.
      01-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I was looking to switch because we needed a 4 door , i looked at everything from sti, evo , srt8 charger , srt8 300c, used m3 sedan, cts v , s4 and none of them had the driving pleasure of the 135i as a daily driver.

Some were fast like srt twins and i dont see getting the cts v is worth twice the 135 money. Evo was a complete shit box and sti was a whole lot better than evo if you want the awd, i am not the boy racer crowd but do like Subaru, My pick would be the s4 as it felt just as fast and the interior was better than bmw, long story short i kept the 135 and leased another 4 door that was more economical.
      01-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #16
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Do not trade a bmw for a subaru
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Go for it! The Subaru is just comfortable on trips. I don't why someone would say it isn't. You will have better reliability and dependability. I also believe you will get better gas mileage. Value is going to better because Japanese carz don't drop nearly as much dollar for dollar.

Save som money wait a little while then get the 1 or 2M. Or maybe the 3/4M.
      01-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Decided that I'm going to hold on to it. Not going for the trade. Not this one at least.

I may continue to consider the 1M possibility open. I'm also keeping an eye out for the new 2015 STi to come out. Until then, I'm going to hold on modding as the car is not coming out often during the winter anyway.
      01-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMiLuc
Decided that I'm going to hold on to it. Not going for the trade. Not this one at least.

I may continue to consider the 1M possibility open. I'm also keeping an eye out for the new 2015 STi to come out. Until then, I'm going to hold on modding as the car is not coming out often during the winter anyway.
Good call, the new sti hasn't changed much power wise but its not as aggressive looking as the current ones for sure
      01-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

Great choice, man. just enjoy the hell out of your 135. Seriously it is hard to find another car that is as fun to drive, IMO.

i, too, am softly considering shopping for a 1M after my 135is lease is done in 20 months...OR i may end up buying the car off-lease. I just can't really think of anything else which is as enjoyable, funky, and enthusiastic......certainly not in the BMW lineup at least. The new M235i is just a heavier, more electrically controlled version of the 135....so PASS. The M2 might be interesting....but i'm not holding my breath!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep

Quote:
Great choice, man. just enjoy the hell out of your 135. Seriously it is hard to find another car that is as fun to drive, IMO.

i, too, am softly considering shopping for a 1M after my 135is lease is done in 20 months...OR i may end up buying the car off-lease. I just can't really think of anything else which is as enjoyable, funky, and enthusiastic......certainly not in the BMW lineup at least. The new M235i is just a heavier, more electrically controlled version of the 135....so PASS. The M2 might be interesting....but i'm not holding my breath!
Thanks man. Yeah I've been reading a lot of good thoughts advice on here from everyone. So i appreciate that. The 135i does in fact have the perfect balance for any kind of driving from street to track.

There's a good chance that modding especially with lsd, power and suspension wise would open up a whole new love for my 135 more than ever and stray away any thoughts from coming into my head again about getting rid of it. Before modding, though, I'm going to see how my chances look for the 1M or how the 2015 STi will par with having any consideration towards going for it.
      01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I definitely have considered going with the Cobb AP if I stick with the 135i. I have used them in my Subaru's actually. I'd also want to upgrade to the M3 suspension components as well though if that's something I could see a local dealership to ignore. I'm not sure.

What was your reason for switching to the S4? and do you miss the exige because I've considered that in the past prior to choosing the 135i.
The lease was up on the 135i and we had a baby on the way. I'm a brand whore and have never owned the same make twice in about a dozen cars. I don't miss the Exige. It is the ultimate track machine and handles like nothing else on the road but it is extremely uncomfortable and very fragile.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0