F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > A Sportier Z4 Successor On the Way?
ARMA SPEED

05-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb A Sportier Z4 Successor On the Way?

BIMMERPOST NEWS
A Sportier Z4 Successor On the Way?
COMMENTS

The current Z4 (E89) looks the part, but a prevailing sentiment among auto enthusiasts seems to be that its performance and driving dynamics do not quite live up to its sporty looks.

This may be changing in the next generation Z4 as Insideline is reporting that the third generation Z4 will feature a sportier and more engaging driving experience.

Besides the obvious mechanical changes which will occur, some of the styling is also said to be changing to help achieve this - by shortening the front hood just a bit, while still keeping the proportionately longer front end look. Don't expect too radical of a change or styling however, as it will still conform with the BMW design group's late policy of creating more timeless designs which look good for 15 years.

The handling balance of the next-generation Z4 will also benefit from the bigger role played by the downsized four-cylinder N20 engines recently introduced in the current model, with this lighter power unit producing a more favorable weight distribution.

If the current E89 Z4's sticks to traditional BMW model life cycles, the next Z4 will be due around 2015.

We hope that all this means the next Z4 will pose some challenge to the Porsche Boxster, but if not, let's see a Z2 roadster which will, BMW!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Tunisie-G
Tunisie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i w ///M-Package

I love the current body style Z4 35is, I don't see how it can get any better, but then again, that's what I said about the 5-series...
      05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

No doubt a great car as is currently

but i would welcome back :
mechanical hand brake ... 3 pedals... lighter roof.... then we can start talking...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

mechanical hand brake ... 3 pedals... lighter roof.... then we can start talking...
It still has 3 pedals.

To any BMW engineers that probably aren't reading this: The engines are perfect you don't have to screw with the too much. Focus on the steering, reducing the weight, and suspension.

To BMW designers: Don't f*ck with anything. Its perfect the way it is. If you must do something mess with the back; make it a little more like the old Z4.
Seriously you already have one of the best looking cars on sale. Don't take this as an opportunity to go revolutionary.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Tunisie-G
Tunisie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i w ///M-Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

It still has 3 pedals.

To any BMW engineers that probably aren't reading this: The engines are perfect you don't have to screw with the too much. Focus on the steering, reducing the weight, and suspension.

To BMW designers: Don't f*ck with anything. Its perfect the way it is. If you must do something mess with the back; make it a little more like the old Z4.
Seriously you already have one of the best looking cars on sale. Don't take this as an opportunity to go revolutionary.
++++++1
      05-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Yeah, it's fine as is. But if BMW wants a successor soon then go for it. But it may hurt sales by changing such an all around beautiful and "sexy" car by making it real futuristic looking and aggressive or some crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Is the steering electric? Maybe start by going back to hydraulic.
      05-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I love the current Z4, it just doesn't fit into my current lifestyle...

I'd like to have a used one in 4-6 years, but at the same time, the older Z4 M Coupe would be equally tempting, plus it was available in Imola Red...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Z4sd
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

E89

I know it all along, even before test driving the car. I will say it again and again... E89 is a great blvd cruiser, suspension & handling is more on the soft and comfortable side, full with technology and lots of electronic. Also, the car weighs more than the E85 between 300-500 pounds and comes with a hardtop which adds more weight and changes the center of gravity. Not exactly your best "DNA" for a Roaster with the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

BMW should have continued enhancing and improving the E85 with suspension and possibly cosmetics upgrades or improvements. But, they want the opposite direction and folded their cards to the Boxster. Why on earth would one purchase or lease the 35is starting at $60k+ with the above mentioned characteristics is beyond me.

As I see it, the Z4 (2006-2008), Z4M, and the undefeated Boxster (especially the new 2013 model) remain the only true roadsters on the Market ( 911's, Spyder, and others are at different price range for this conversation).
Attached Images

Last edited by Z4sd; 05-07-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Hydraulic steering, better bushings, option for a fixed roof... Not much else. Don't go putting M badges everywhere either.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

The Z4 is beautiful, but on the heavy side. Get rid of the weight and the performance will come.
      05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Don't change the exterior styling too much, use the formula of the 3-Series - make subtle changes that update the look.

Seriously consider what the competition is doing, specifically Porsche. From what I've read, the new Boxster is no joke and can no longer be considered the baby Porsche or a Porsche when you can't afford anything higher than a boxster.

Hopefully BMW can really hit the next Z4. Everything about it screams driving machine - BMW make it one please.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I agree the Z4 is no Boxster, hence its emphasis on style, convenience and comfort in order to differentiate it from the Boxster. The problem for BMW is that Porsche can make its great chassis more comfortable too by offering an extensive option list. Things will get worse when/if Porsche use smaller 4 cylinder engines as it will to compete with the MKIII Audi TT that is moving more upmarket in terms of dynamic performance. In other words, Porsche could offer the Boxster in a price range to compete against the Z4 or with an option list that offers many of the amenities of the Z4, both with a better chassis and a better badge. So where does the Z4 fit in?

Audi TTs -similar price, and non roadster has 2+2(semi usable rear seats, I should know, I used to own one).
Boxster -heard nothing but raving reviews about the new chassis, and the aesthetics are even better...Porsche even seems to have designed an interior!
Z4 -to me, slots in between these two cars....more dynamic than a TT, more luxurious compared to Boxster, but not as dynamic. Not really a part of the market I would want to occupy, and I think this is reflected by the sales of the current car.

It remains a mystery to me how BMW, known for its sporty character, has failed to produce an 'affordable' sports car. Sure, M3, M5/6 offer amazing dynamics that compete with most sports cars on the roads, but for the simple pleasures of small, simple sports cars, one needs to look to other brands. Z2??? PURE roadster simplicity? Let's hope!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
From what I've read, the new Boxster is no joke and can no longer be considered the baby Porsche or a Porsche when you can't afford anything higher than a boxster.
It's not that the new Boxster is that much better than the old one. It's that people are finally taking their heads out of their collective asses and recognizing the Boxster/Cayman twin as what they are: The best f'ing sports cars that Porsche currently makes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
It still has 3 pedals.

Well said
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
It's not that the new Boxster is that much better than the old one. It's that people are finally taking their heads out of their collective asses and recognizing the Boxster/Cayman twin as what they are: The best f'ing sports cars that Porsche currently makes.
Propagator: I agree 100000% on this. I had so much more fun in a Cayman S for 3 days than I did with a 911 turbo. Sure the turbo will blow the doors of the Cayman S in a straight line, but to me, the balance and crispness of the Cayman S along with the ability to use more of the engine made it more enjoyable than the 911. With the 911 in Taiwan, you'd never really need to take it past second gear if you want to hear that motor work, whereas the PDK and Cayman S are more than up to the task for non-track, spirited driving. JUST LOVE THAT CAR...and the new Boxster takes that experience up just one more notch...can't wait for the Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
It still has 3 pedals.

Ditto...

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

The current Z4 is a killer

Z4 35 is looking better in and out, and with that engine I would still choose Z4 over the new Boxter.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I fully agree. It's amazing how many people really don't understand Boxster outside of it's the "low-model Porsche". I've gotten into so many arguments with friends, people online about the Boxster and how it's not just a lowly Porsche for the masses. Same with how people view some BMW's - you have to own the upper model of the series, if not why even bother. Like someone said above, it's just icing on the cake with all the rave reviews of the new Boxster chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Totally agree with most of the comments, We own a Z4-35i the car draws more attention than a swim suit model, it performs exceeding well on all sorts of roads, however here are my recommendation, do-not mess with the style but do tweak the 50/50 balance. I agree with the comment, the nose is too long and adding bit of weight to the rear would not be a bad thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 05-08-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
mcacciola
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, Silver - M Sport

My stake is that the statement above makes all the sense.
"its performance and driving dynamics do not quite live up to its sporty looks"

This car was designed by 2 great designer girls but at the end of the day it misses testosterone... Of course...There was non on the blueprints.

I had Z3 and the first Z4 (that by the way it was the car that I have more fun ever) and even though the design change was dramatic, controversial and for some ugly... it kept the manhood intact.

Same thing happens on the SLK were critics call girls car.

I personally feel that this current Z4 went way up on accessories, toys and it is over loaded with thing roadster driver don't need. And by the way... does anybody notice that this model is driven most of the time with the top up? Well.. let me tell you, I been in Florida for 20 years and Z3 and Z4's are always with top down... This new one most of them are driven with the heavy metallic top al the way up. Why? because woman and old people don't want their hair messed up. Clearly this car is attracting a different crowd.

Formula is simple. Go back to the basics and leave the chicks at the Kitchen :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
It remains a mystery to me how BMW, known for its sporty character, has failed to produce an 'affordable' sports car. Sure, M3, M5/6 offer amazing dynamics that compete with most sports cars on the roads, but for the simple pleasures of small, simple sports cars, one needs to look to other brands. Z2??? PURE roadster simplicity? Let's hope!
Small simple sports car = 128i coupe