F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Insideline: 2010 BMW S 1000 RR vs. 2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
proTUNING Freaks

09-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #23
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
really cool bike, but that was a weird and very one sided article...
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtzouris View Post
Please clarify the $90,000 cost to change (4) tires on the Bugatti Veyron. DO you mean $9,000?
I think the $90,000 was too high of an estimate, but not that far off. I read in Road and Track that Michelin spent millions of dollars developing tires that were strong and heat-resistant enough to go 260 mph yet compliant enough for everyday driving. A set of tires alone costs $17,000; the special wheels with Michelin’s run-flat PAX system are an additional $43,000.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi MSport - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
The bike wins... until you hit a pebble and die, then the veyron (and my mom's toyota) wins.
99% of moms driving Toyota Siennas would agree!

08 BMW K1200S / 2002 330ci Sport (sold) / 1989 635csi (sold)
07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LMM
09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

IIRC from Top Gear, the tires cost something like 35,000 British pounds for a set. At 25x mph they would only last something like 39 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #27
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

At MAX speed, The Bugatti Veyron's tires will melt off the rims in approx 15 minutes, however, it will run out of fuel in 10-12 minutes. Pretty crazy...

read up on it and how it works here

http://www.howstuffworks.com/bugatti.htm/printable
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
bmwnorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70

now i know where the bmw gets it's o_0 eyes (headlights) from. they were 0_0 but then it saw the veyron.

LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #29
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I'm not a bike guy so I'll freely admit that maybe I just don't "get it." But I'll always take 4 wheels and 4 sets of brakes over 2 wheels and 2 sets of brakes. That's what gives cars the advantage through corners. Motorcycles are quick because they're light; just an engine with wheels, really. If you do that to a car (i recall the Ariel Atom test on Top Gear) it will be quicker than a bike.

That said, I have much respect for the 1000rr because it is very impressive. It's just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Great bike

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #31
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramp View Post
I think the $90,000 was too high of an estimate, but not that far off. I read in Road and Track that Michelin spent millions of dollars developing tires that were strong and heat-resistant enough to go 260 mph yet compliant enough for everyday driving. A set of tires alone costs $17,000; the special wheels with Michelin’s run-flat PAX system are an additional $43,000.
Not only that, but there is no stock of tires anywhere. Whenever you need them, Michelin will dust off the molds and pour some fresh rubber into them, just for you. And since they are unique (with unique aspect ratios and all) to the Veyron, there is no economy of scale for them and no alternative for the Veyron owner either.

To make matters more complicated, Bugatti requires that you change tires every year no matter the miles - that's because they might deform/age/get-hit-by-cosmic-rays/whatever and are no longer certified for top speed after 1 year.

And for icing on this cake, they require the wheels to be changed every 2 years as well - because, yep, you've guessed it, they can go out of round and basically are no longer certified for top speed runs after 2 years.

We haven't even gone into mechanical maintenance per se.

These things, perhaps even more so than the initial purchase cost, are what separates the buyer category who can really afford a Veyron from everybody else.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #32
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Not the law of physics as much as the encounters with with incompetent drivers and a few incompetent riders. Motorcycles are fairly safe until a car pulls out in front of you and you T bone it. Then there are always a few riders that think they are a lot better than they are and the road is always going to be good to them.
I agree. I was referring to the earlier centrifugal force comment. Motorcycles are "very safe" until someone else tries to kill you on one. Unfortunately that is ALL THE TIME. You are just way more exposed when this happens. 16X more likely to die per mile when compared to a car. Pointing a gun at your head is very safe until you pull the trigger.

The difference is, when it comes to riding a motorcycle, someone is eventually going to pull the trigger for you. I see motorcyclists in the emergency department all the time and they just "can't believe" that a@@hole "cut them off". Lots of people, at times, are not paying attention when they drive. Thats why cars have crumple zones, seat belts and umpteen airbags now. So when you design a mode of transportation that is much more likely to not be seen and then eliminate all of those safety systems, its not really surprising to see such a high percentage of deaths in the ED involving motorcycles. So its the other drivers that screw you, and then the laws of physics that smash your head into the ground.

The bottom line is, it's quite dangerous over time no matter how you slice it. If someone enjoys it and wants to "live a little" thats totally cool with me (not that it matters what I think), but most don't understand the magnitude of the risk. (although I still don't understand why I get a ticket for not buckling up, but its ok to ride a motorcycle; in many places without a helmet.) Many rationalize that they are extremely skilled on a bike and its just those that don't know what they are doing that are at high risk which simply isn't true.
But don't get me wrong, I very much respect your right to ride, want it to be fun and hope you stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #33
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
my s1000rr

btw the s1000rr is the most incredible machine I have ever driven period.

Hi,

You are seriously living my automotive dream life. That is basically my dream garage.

Sincerely,

Schm
      09-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #34
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi MSport - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
I agree. I was referring to the earlier centrifugal force comment. Motorcycles are "very safe" until someone else tries to kill you on one. Unfortunately that is ALL THE TIME. You are just way more exposed when this happens. 16X more likely to die per mile when compared to a car. Pointing a gun at your head is very safe until you pull the trigger.

The difference is, when it comes to riding a motorcycle, someone is eventually going to pull the trigger for you. I see motorcyclists in the emergency department all the time and they just "can't believe" that a@@hole "cut them off". Lots of people, at times, are not paying attention when they drive. Thats why cars have crumple zones, seat belts and umpteen airbags now. So when you design a mode of transportation that is much more likely to not be seen and then eliminate all of those safety systems, its not really surprising to see such a high percentage of deaths in the ED involving motorcycles. So its the other drivers that screw you, and then the laws of physics that smash your head into the ground.

The bottom line is, it's quite dangerous over time no matter how you slice it. If someone enjoys it and wants to "live a little" thats totally cool with me (not that it matters what I think), but most don't understand the magnitude of the risk. (although I still don't understand why I get a ticket for not buckling up, but its ok to ride a motorcycle; in many places without a helmet.) Many rationalize that they are extremely skilled on a bike and its just those that don't know what they are doing that are at high risk which simply isn't true.
But don't get me wrong, I very much respect your right to ride, want it to be fun and hope you stay safe!
Well said.

I won't argue with any of that because it is born out statistically in the HURT study. Every time I swing my leg over my bike, I know it could be my last day alive. I'm very aware and seeking out the first sign of any such risks every second I'm on my bike, and that takes complete concentration at a level that I don't get to in a car.

On the other hand, extreme concentration on something so basic as self preservation is extraordinarily mentally relaxing because it necessitates pushing aside life's stresses that for me won't yield any other way. Some have compared it to meditation, and that mental relief alone is worth the risk for some. Not to mention the fact that very few cars under let's say $500k (and I've driven some amazing cars owned by people other than me) can compare to a current technology litre+ bike in terms of pure driving exhilaration. It kind of ruins you for fast cars because so few even come close.

08 BMW K1200S / 2002 330ci Sport (sold) / 1989 635csi (sold)
07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LMM
09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #35
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I came in here expecting a video.

I am disappoint.
      09-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #36
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
I'm not a bike guy so I'll freely admit that maybe I just don't "get it." But I'll always take 4 wheels and 4 sets of brakes over 2 wheels and 2 sets of brakes. That's what gives cars the advantage through corners. Motorcycles are quick because they're light; just an engine with wheels, really. If you do that to a car (i recall the Ariel Atom test on Top Gear) it will be quicker than a bike.

That said, I have much respect for the 1000rr because it is very impressive. It's just not for me.
A well ridden sportbike will usually beat a car, even through the corners. Sport Rider Magazine did a comparison: BMW S1000RR vs. E92 M3 around Streets of Willow. The S1000RR SPANKED the DCT equipped M3 by over 6.5 seconds. That is FRIGGIN' HUGE! Half of those seconds came on straight-aways, and the rest came in the turns.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...son/index.html

Just like anything though, you can always find one vehicle that will beat another, especially if you get esoteric enough.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #37
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_Calgary View Post
Not to mention the fact that very few cars under let's say $500k (and I've driven some amazing cars owned by people other than me) can compare to a current technology litre+ bike in terms of pure driving exhilaration. It kind of ruins you for fast cars because so few even come close.
No kidding! Even my entry-ish level 645cc V-twin Suzuki Gladius does 0-60 in under 4 seconds (3.8 seconds by one test.) Not bad for a $6,000 bike. You aren't going to buy a car that can accelerate that fast for less than 10 times that amount.....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #38
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

The S1000RR is such a beautiful bike, but can anyone tell me why the headlights are googly-eyed?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #39
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_Calgary View Post
Well said.

I won't argue with any of that because it is born out statistically in the HURT study. Every time I swing my leg over my bike, I know it could be my last day alive. I'm very aware and seeking out the first sign of any such risks every second I'm on my bike, and that takes complete concentration at a level that I don't get to in a car.

On the other hand, extreme concentration on something so basic as self preservation is extraordinarily mentally relaxing because it necessitates pushing aside life's stresses that for me won't yield any other way. Some have compared it to meditation, and that mental relief alone is worth the risk for some. Not to mention the fact that very few cars under let's say $500k (and I've driven some amazing cars owned by people other than me) can compare to a current technology litre+ bike in terms of pure driving exhilaration. It kind of ruins you for fast cars because so few even come close.
Also well said.

In the interest of full disclosure, only half my passion for this comes from working in emergency medicine. The other half is because my wife would never let me get a bike. Dammit!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #40
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

As a previous owner of super sport class motorcycle. I can say without a doubt there is no car I have ever driven that is as much fun or as fast as my GSXR-1000 and I have driven some seriously fast and fun cars like Ford GT etc.

I just love the BMW 1000 RR it is a great machine for great price. However, I have to say the car is 100 times safer then a motorcycle. In USA you really have to watch your back all the time as a motorcyclist. Because people treat motorcyclist as third class citizens on road and do not watch out for them. Most of the time the motorcycle wrecks are the fault of some one in an SUV, truck or a car. People do not watch out and run into you or cut you off in a really bad fashion.

I think motorcyles are more safer to drive in european or asian countries then in the USA. As people are more used to them in europe/asia and actually know how to share the road with them.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0