E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DIY SatNavPro POI (Points of Interest)

09-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #23
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Hi Viv - thanks for the info.

I have assist enabled on my car at the moment but i cannot work out where to pick up the address sent to it via google maps.

Google seems to be happy to send a businees address to my username - but where do i find the address in the i-drive system?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #24
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi Viv - thanks for the info.

I have assist enabled on my car at the moment but i cannot work out where to pick up the address sent to it via google maps.

Google seems to be happy to send a businees address to my username - but where do i find the address in the i-drive system?

Cheers.
I haven't got it set-up on my car yet, but there should be a menu in the Communication part of idrive to receive new messages.

I don't think it automatically downloads new messages- you have to choose to do that yourself.

I haven't got the Bluetooth/Communications booklet (amongst the manuals) with me right now, but I think there's some info about it, in the back of that.

If all else fails, give BMW Telematics a call on freephone 0800 5610 555.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #25
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Paul, it is rechargeable & you'll have a recharge point on the right-side of the glove compartment!

All the best.

Viv
So they still fit the recharge bit but not the torch !? Crazy MO Fos.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #26
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't got it set-up on my car yet, but there should be a menu in the Communication part of idrive to receive new messages.

I don't think it automatically downloads new messages- you have to choose to do that yourself.

I haven't got the Bluetooth/Communications booklet (amongst the manuals) with me right now, but I think there's some info about it, in the back of that.

If all else fails, give BMW Telematics a call on freephone 0800 5610 555.

All the best.

Viv
Yep eventually found it. You need to go to <Communication><BMW-Assist><My Info> and then select <Update>
This will bring down all your messages from Google maps.
If you go to <Info Service><New Query> you are put thru to a telephone operator who can also give you things like your nearest petrol station. She was able to tell me my exact location.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep eventually found it. You need to go to <Communication><BMW-Assist><My Info> and then select <Update>
This will bring down all your messages from Google maps.
If you go to <Info Service><New Query> you are put thru to a telephone operator who can also give you things like your nearest petrol station. She was able to tell me my exact location.
Glad it's sorted.

Do the notes you enter in Google maps also appear in your messages when you download them?

Our American friends also get the ability to have BMW 'track' their car, if it's ever stolen, but we don't. :mad:

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #28
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad it's sorted.

Do the notes you enter in Google maps also appear in your messages when you download them?

Our American friends also get the ability to have BMW 'track' their car, if it's ever stolen, but we don't. :mad:

All the best.

Viv
Yep the note comes down as well.

It would make a tracker device redundant since all the features of a tracker are integrated into the car already.

When I called the info+ girl thru the Assist menu, she was able to tell me my exact location.

Surely if your car was stolen, they could easily tell where it is by using this method ?????
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #29
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep the note comes down as well.

It would make a tracker device redundant since all the features of a tracker are integrated into the car already.

When I called the info+ girl thru the Assist menu, she was able to tell me my exact location.

Surely if your car was stolen, they could easily tell where it is by using this method ?????
I would have thought so, but BMW only seem to have the Assist tracking capability as standard in the US- they don't say they provide it in Europe, which is strange.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #30
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation

I've just been speaking to a lovely lady at BMW ConnectedDrive, about their service.

I've got some good news, for anyone who hasn't yet heard.

In the opinion of BMW Germany, all European BMW ConnectedDrive customers (Assist / Online) will now receive the complete service free-of-charge until September 2010- no longer just 6 months!

So, if you now have an account, or are thinking about taking out an account with BMW ConnectedDrive, there will be no annual £120 charge for Assist & no £300 charge for Online!

How very nice of them!

For more information, give BMW Telematics UK a call on 0800 5610 555.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #31
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
No way?! So if I apply now it is free til 2010?!
That reminds me, the form is in my bag. I presume VIN No = Chassis no.?
I was wondering if they'd do 6 months from today or from delivery but now you've sorted that one!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #32
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
No way?! So if I apply now it is free til 2010?!
That reminds me, the form is in my bag. I presume VIN No = Chassis no.?
I was wondering if they'd do 6 months from today or from delivery but now you've sorted that one!
YES!

'No f***ing way' I thought to myself, when she told me!

So, it means, there are no charges AT ALL, as far as I can see, for the subscription OR the actual service (SOS; breakdown calling; information plus; flight information; Google Maps; sending names, numbers & notes to the car)

How good is that!

They've just set my account up & I need a software update for the car tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to 'playing'!

BTW- yes- the chassis No is the last 7 digits of the VIN

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #33
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I'm not saying what mine us but seems odd as it mostly has 0s then a two digit number e.g. 65. Surely mine can't be 65th BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #34
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not saying what mine us but seems odd as it mostly has 0s then a two digit number e.g. 65. Surely mine can't be 65th BMW ?
Bit on info for you, Paul.

How to Decode a VIN

When decoded, the VIN tells the country and year of manufacture; make, model and serial number; assembly plant; and in some cases it even identifies equipment specifications.
The system goes something like this: sequence for characters is first A to Z, then 1 to 9, and last 0. The letters "I", "O" and "Q" are typically omitted from system.
The vehicle identification number is divided into four parts:
  • World Manufacturer's Identification (WMI - three characters)
  • Vehicle Description Section (VDS - five characters)
  • The VIN Accuracy Check Digit
  • Vehicle Identification Section (VIS - eight characters)
World Manufacturer’s Identification (WMI)

The first character in the WMI sequence represents the country where the vehicle was manufactured. Countries like the United States (1 or 4), Canada (2) and Mexico (3) are represented by numbers while other countries such as Germany (W), Italy (Z) and Japan (J) are represented by letters.
The second character refers to the manufacturer. The characters can be either letters or numbers. For example: Jaguar (A), Dodge (B), Chrysler (C), Jeep (J), Buick (4), Cadillac (6) or Saturn (8).
The third character represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division.
Vehicle Description Section (VDS) and Check Digit

The vehicle description section consists of five characters (the 4th to 8th characters) which identify everything from the body style, engine type, and braking system to model, series, restraint system, etc. The 9th character is a VIN accuracy check digit which verifies the previous VIN numbers. It is determined by carrying out a mathematical computation developed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).
Vehicle Identification Section (VIS)

The vehicle identification section includes the last eight characters in the VIN number. The numbers identify the model year (10th character) and the assembly plant for the vehicle (11th character). A number or letter may represent the model year. For example: 1998 (W), 2000 (Y), 2007 (7) or 2008 (8).
The 12th to 17th characters are the actual serial number of the vehicle—these last 6 digits make the vehicle unique (think of DNA). It can also help to identify whether the vehicle was the first, the hundredth, or the last vehicle off the manufacturer’s assembly line. This is valuable information for collectors.
So, the next time you see that long number printed on your registration papers or stamped across your dashboard, you’ll know how to decode it. This will give you a better understanding of where your unique vehicle actually came from!

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #35
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've just been speaking to a lovely lady at BMW ConnectedDrive, about their service.

In the opinion of BMW Germany, all European BMW ConnectedDrive customers (Assist / Online) will now receive the complete service free-of-charge until September 2010- no longer just 6 months!

So, if you now have an account, or are thinking about taking out an account with BMW ConnectedDrive, there will be no annual £120 charge for Assist & no £300 charge for Online!

How very nice of them!

All the best.

Viv

That is brilliant news - as I didnt know if it was really worth the £120 per year.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #36
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks viv.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #37
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
OK. next question: how will I know when they've enabled it?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #38
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK. next question: how will I know when they've enabled it?
I'll PM you Paul

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #39
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

How very nice of them!

All the best.

Viv
Guys:

Clarification please. I signed up for the free six months Assist when I got the car (July). Didn't pay the extra £300 for Online. Does the news mean that I can now use both going forward, for nowt? Do I have to contact them to get Online enabled?

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #40
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Did you opt for online when you bought the car? As per earlier post I don't think you can just subscribe to it unless you bought the option.
I would expect assist to be free going forward to you from what Viv said but might be worth quick call.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #41
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
Guys:

Clarification please. I signed up for the free six months Assist when I got the car (July). Didn't pay the extra £300 for Online. Does the news mean that I can now use both going forward, for nowt? Do I have to contact them to get Online enabled?
You need to have the ConnectedDrive 'Online' option ticked when you ordered the car, to be able to use Online.
However, it is available as a retrofit.

Contact your dealer for more info & contact BMW Telematics to let them know you'd like the Online set-up, in case they need to do anything.

Quote:
Did you opt for online when you bought the car? As per earlier post I don't think you can just subscribe to it unless you bought the option.
I would expect assist to be free going forward to you from what Viv said but might be worth quick call.
Indeed Paul- the whole ConnectedDrive subscription should continue FOC until Sept 2010 without interruption, but you should check with BMW Telematics for a definite answer for your own specific account.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #42
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
...told you I got it for free, but no-one listens to me... oh no...

;P

SJ
      09-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #43
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
...told you I got it for free, but no-one listens to me... oh no...

;P

SJ
Free until at least 2010, anyway, James!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #44
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Viv..... FREE OUTBOUND TEXT MESSAGES ?! WOooah you kept that quite. How does that work?!
Appreciate 0