E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfire Issue No one can figure out

12-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Derek,

I cleaned my vanos valves and found that there was old oil inside them that was on the verge of getting "gunky"...Im assuming thats when the problems start...(110,000 miles on the car at that point).

**If you do this, there are O rings you should get first. since your at the dealer all the time lately, I would pick up a set of them before you take the old ones out. Mine were fine but I replaced them anyway.....

I did not swap the valves as I was not having issues, but they are the same part.

Heres what I did:

clean the front of the engine with some wd40, or engine degreaser or whatever you think you need...I found that you have to clean the area really really well...

unplug and unbolt one vanos valve and clean the daylights out of it, inside and out....be aware of how it is oriented, how the wiring plug works, ect...

put the valve ( if youre not swapping them) back in and then do the same procedure with the other one.

you can find a DIY in the DIY section of this forum...its pretty detailed and has good pics....

NOTE: I have a 328XI with the standard motor so there may be some differences....sorry I didnt see what motor you have....

since you did everything else yourself to start with, you have ruled out many things....I applaud you for giving it your best shot before taking it to the dealer...

Since its happens at idle, and intermittently, I guess you can rule out motor mounts, tranny mounts, clutch issues or drive line parts?....

good luck with it today...

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekg2286 View Post
One issue I dont have any of those codes
Codes r nice when the technology works... But sometimes you need to use old fashion auto mechanics to solve problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Derek,

I cleaned my vanos valves and found that there was old oil inside them that was on the verge of getting "gunky"...Im assuming thats when the problems start...(110,000 miles on the car at that point).

**If you do this, there are O rings you should get first. since your at the dealer all the time lately, I would pick up a set of them before you take the old ones out. Mine were fine but I replaced them anyway.....

I did not swap the valves as I was not having issues, but they are the same part.

Heres what I did:

clean the front of the engine with some wd40, or engine degreaser or whatever you think you need...I found that you have to clean the area really really well...

unplug and unbolt one vanos valve and clean the daylights out of it, inside and out....be aware of how it is oriented, how the wiring plug works, ect...

put the valve ( if youre not swapping them) back in and then do the same procedure with the other one.

you can find a DIY in the DIY section of this forum...its pretty detailed and has good pics....

NOTE: I have a 328XI with the standard motor so there may be some differences....sorry I didnt see what motor you have....

since you did everything else yourself to start with, you have ruled out many things....I applaud you for giving it your best shot before taking it to the dealer...

Since its happens at idle, and intermittently, I guess you can rule out motor mounts, tranny mounts, clutch issues or drive line parts?....

JP
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
derekg2286
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi e90 6 spd

As doon as I get the car back today I plan on doing this if money and time permit. Also the clutch slipps in 3rd gear in map 1 of jb4 tune so I have been running it in map 0 from now on. I did have some stored codes in the dme but the deslersaid they had nothing yo do with my issue and not yo qorry. Somecodes about the VGC or something like that. I asked for a print out but never gave it to me
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Ok so they think its the crank sensor they will be doing it tomorrow we will see
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

So it still isnt fixed I am getting a paint smell of fuel in the morning through my vents now. They replaced crank sensor and they replaced o2 sensor now. They have it again today they are starting to get pissed because they cant figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Derek,

I

Heres what I did:

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So it still isnt fixed I am getting a paint smell of fuel in the morning through my vents now. They replaced crank sensor and they replaced o2 sensor now. They have it again today they are starting to get pissed because they cant figure it out.
VANOS cleaning DIY and 30 minutes of your time.... Please DO THIS!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Bimmertech113
Private
Rep
Drives: None

I don't care what any shop says. If your coils and plugs are new. Carbon blast is done. Assuming you compression is good. I'd be putting injectors in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #31
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

I am going to either get the car back tomorrow or the next day. we just had a crazy snow storm so its a little cold outside to be working on the car lol and the garage i used is tied up right now but i plan on doing the vanos cleaning this week sometime after work and I cant afford all new injectors thats like 1000 dollars and to be honest after all the money i have put into it i am laking funds but maybe i should do like 2 or 3. what doesnt make sense is that they are random they dont misfire all the time it does have long cranks in the morning but no rough idle and it runs alright in the mornings i get more misfires when its warmed up
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
shannons_auto_repair
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 bmx 328xi

similar issue

my 328xi has same issues but am getting a p13b6 code, manufacturer controlled ignition system misfire. did you ever see anything like that?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #33
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to either get the car back tomorrow or the next day. we just had a crazy snow storm so its a little cold outside to be working on the car lol and the garage i used is tied up right now but i plan on doing the vanos cleaning this week sometime after work and I cant afford all new injectors thats like 1000 dollars and to be honest after all the money i have put into it i am laking funds but maybe i should do like 2 or 3. what doesnt make sense is that they are random they dont misfire all the time it does have long cranks in the morning but no rough idle and it runs alright in the mornings i get more misfires when its warmed up
Smell the plugs or coils before u replace injectors... If they are leaky injectors then the plugs/coils will smell like gas and ur plugs should be getting fouled quickly too!

More than likely u can't change just 1 or 2 injectors... You will need to change them in banks of 3 on the same turbo. I believe ECSTuning or Tischer BMW can give u decent prices on them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

They dont smell like gas at all. The best price I got is 150 from a dealer account at bmw
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannons_auto_repair View Post
my 328xi has same issues but am getting a p13b6 code, manufacturer controlled ignition system misfire. did you ever see anything like that?
No I havent got any real decisive codes ar all
Appreciate 0